PDA

View Full Version : Rout-R-Lift plate sag

Rich Clark
03-14-2008, 11:13 PM
I've just installed a JessEm Rout-R-Lift FX in my tablesaw extension table.While I was getting it set flush I noticed the lift plate sagged down through the middle, a maximum of .007. I've never used a router table so I'm wondering if this is enough to cause problems.

glenn bradley
03-14-2008, 11:32 PM
You'll get answers based on folks comfort level. Can you clarify if this sag is the plate itself? That is, if you have the router mounted to the plate and suspend the plate (like in the table) and put a straight edge from corner to corner across the plate, not touching the table, is there sag? If so the plate is not acceptable and should be returned.

That aside, .007 would cause a visible fit problem on rail and stile joints for example. You're talking about just shy of the thickness of 2 sheets of typing paper. Sag is particularly bothersome on long cuts. The leading and trailing edge ride down and back up through the sag. The middle rides off the surface, supported by the ends which are on the (assumed) higher level table surface.

I do have trouble picturing a Jess Em plate sagging though. Could it be that it is just not flat? That would be a defect and seem more likely than the phenolic sagging although I have heard of problems with phenolic now and again. My plates are all aluminum so I hope someone with a phenolic plate will chime in.

Rich Clark
03-15-2008, 12:18 AM
The sag is strictly in the plate. It's a brand new lift. Been sitting around for months waiting for me to install it. My shop time is rather limited.

glenn bradley
03-15-2008, 12:42 AM
That would be a return for me. Maybe not for someone else. JessEm is supposed to be a pretty solid outfit. I would contact them and let them know that you have just now tried to install it and noticed the problem. Good luck.

Peter Quinn
03-15-2008, 7:21 AM
I have the Jessum router lift that came in my PM66, the plate is aluminum, it has had a heavy router hanging there for years, no sag, very flat. A sag of .007" would be unacceptable to me and I would return that plate.

It is my understanding that the router-r-lift plates are 3/16" thick solid anodized aluminum, and the leveling bars further act as stiffeners. That plate should be flat and stay flat under load. I would contact jessum about a replacement.

That said it is a nice lift that I enjoy using very much. I just used it to build Glen's adjustable width Dado jig! Thanks Glenn for having posted that...saved my butt on a cabinet job in progress!

Rich Clark
03-15-2008, 7:35 PM
Thanks for the input. I'll give JessEm a call on Monday.