PDA

View Full Version : Dark joint lines

Ryan Tremaine
03-14-2008, 9:08 PM
Anyone know how they get the dark joint lines in the woodwork on these speakers? http://www.sonusfaber.com/eng/collections_cremona.html

It almost seems like they user a dark glue or something. Anyhow, I think it looks interesting.

- Ryan

Howard Acheson
03-14-2008, 9:18 PM
When we made teak and holly floorboards for yachts, we sliced the holly into veneer and glued the veneer on one edge of the teak. Then we would cut the teak and holly into strips of whatever length we wanted and glue them up into panels. You could do the same thing with a dark wood like walnut to contrast with a light wood like maple etc.

Ted Jay
03-15-2008, 10:01 AM
Anyone know how they get the dark joint lines in the woodwork on these speakers? http://www.sonusfaber.com/eng/collections_cremona.html

It almost seems like they user a dark glue or something. Anyhow, I think it looks interesting.

- Ryan

taken from the technical specs:

CABINET:
Lute shape design, combination of sandwich
construction obtained using hand selected
wood layers and solid maple, quality
graded and oriented for carefully optimized
resonances control. Sub-structural ribs are
strategically placed for absolute rejection
of spurious vibration and standing waves
control.

and an advertisement description:
14 individual layers of European maple are laminated to create the side panels, the curve being achieved by hand steaming each layer. When a side panel is finished, each is fitted to a massive single piece rear inertia block, which has the effect of capturing the form in tension. All resonant energy is led to this block, much like the heel of the neck of a stringed instrument, and then dissipated down through the floor-spikes. Top and bottom panels are made from four solid 1.25" staves of maple, with four aniline-dyed black hardwood interstices. The finish is an ecologically sensitive medium gloss lacquer available in a choice of natural maple or graphite matte charcoal grey finish.

While looking at the pics close up, I almost wanted to say the lines were shadow lines. I also thought maybe those lines were thin saw curf lines...? I would have to see a pair to give a better guess. But... that will not be possible. That pair of speakers has a price tag of $9,800 for the pair.
They have another pair with a $30,000 price tag (http://www.ijumpshop.com/servlet/the-17040/SONUS-FABER-Amati-Anniversario/Detail)... that's a new shop and all new tools!!:eek:

I like their description on the higher dollar speaker...
...lute-profiled cabinet is constructed from horizontal layers of maple of varying thicknesses, joined with a polymer glue
... plywood?
But they are nice looking speakers though, I bet they sound wonderful.

back to your original question...
I would say glued up boards of maple with black dyed maple strips and then resawn to laminate onto the plywood substrate.

Ted

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-15-2008, 11:55 AM
taken from the technical specs:

CABINET:
Lute shape design, combination of sandwich
construction obtained using hand selected
wood layers and solid maple, quality
graded and oriented for carefully optimized
resonances control. Sub-structural ribs are
strategically placed for absolute rejection
of spurious vibration and standing waves
control.

and an advertisement description:
14 individual layers of European maple are laminated to create the side panels, the curve being achieved by hand steaming each layer. When a side panel is finished, each is fitted to a massive single piece rear inertia block, which has the effect of capturing the form in tension. All resonant energy is led to this block, much like the heel of the neck of a stringed instrument, and then dissipated down through the floor-spikes. Top and bottom panels are made from four solid 1.25" staves of maple, with four aniline-dyed black hardwood interstices. The finish is an ecologically sensitive medium gloss lacquer available in a choice of natural maple or graphite matte charcoal grey finish.

While looking at the pics close up, I almost wanted to say the lines were shadow lines. I also thought maybe those lines were thin saw curf lines...? I would have to see a pair to give a better guess. But... that will not be possible. That pair of speakers has a price tag of $9,800 for the pair.
They have another pair with a $30,000 price tag (http://www.ijumpshop.com/servlet/the-17040/SONUS-FABER-Amati-Anniversario/Detail)... that's a new shop and all new tools!!:eek:

I like their description on the higher dollar speaker...
...lute-profiled cabinet is constructed from horizontal layers of maple of varying thicknesses, joined with a polymer glue
... plywood?
But they are nice looking speakers though, I bet they sound wonderful.

back to your original question...
I would say glued up boards of maple with black dyed maple strips and then resawn to laminate onto the plywood substrate.

Ted

Well for $30 Gees I'll stick with Klipsh

mark page
03-15-2008, 12:56 PM
And here all along I thought Festools were expensive:D