PDA

View Full Version : Birthday Present

Frank Corker
03-14-2008, 8:31 PM
I did this one for a very good friend of ours on her 60th birthday. Went down a treat which is always good. Just uploading these because it's nice to see other peoples work.

Laura Zaruba
03-14-2008, 8:32 PM
Very nice Frank! I'm sure she LOVES it!

Peter Meacham
03-14-2008, 9:03 PM
Wow - super work Frank. What color fill product did you use pls?

Frank Corker
03-14-2008, 9:08 PM
Hi Peter - it's just good old rub'n'buff. Actually the Cava is dirt cheap but because the bottle is black the overall effect is actually quite stunning and most certainly better than the normal champagne stuff. Besides, with gifts like these, most people actually don't even use them but keep them for show!

Brian J Rogalny
03-14-2008, 10:47 PM
I hope one day I can produce something that good, beautiful detail Frank

Frank Defert
03-14-2008, 11:26 PM
Once again you have set the bar high. Very nice work!

Frank

Dean Rose
03-15-2008, 3:31 AM
Excellent Work Frank!!! Is That Wine Box A Standard Item Availabe For Purchase?

Frank Corker
03-15-2008, 5:57 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate your comments. Dean it is a stock item, I'm afraid my carpentry skills are not quite past the rubbing down with different grades of sandpaper, so I have to buy in. It's UK remember but I'm sure you will have an endless list of suppliers stateside that could supply for you.

The only 'issue' I'd have is that the stain used on the wood hides a lot of the wood's appearance, it's there but not very clear and the other thing is, everything needed to be in negative (because the wood is dark). Very easy to just do the 'normal' cherry wood in photograv, but unless you make it a negative, picture would turn out bloody awful.

There was something else I thought I'd mention, besides I'd not given it a go, the dividers in the box just have the silk lining draped inside. This means that the glasses are able to slide up and down, in and out if they are not wrapped up. I sliced down the centre and made three 'rests' from polystyrene. Half moon shape at the top (fat end of the glass), small long U shape for the stem and a solid block at the bottom. Glued all three in place, pulled the silk back over and secured it with adhesive and placed the glasses in the newly made 'rests'. Result was the glasses remained 'snug as a bug in a rug' without ever hitting the top bottom or sides.

Mike Null
03-15-2008, 6:51 AM
Frank

Nice work, nice idea.

Not that we'd expect less from you.

Anthony Welch
03-15-2008, 7:47 AM
That is really very good work there Frank.
Thanks for the inspiration.

Keith Outten
03-15-2008, 12:06 PM
Frank,

The multi-pose photo engraving is a nice touch and makes the project really special, you don't see that very often.

Excellent!!!

Bill Cunningham
03-15-2008, 10:06 PM
Beautiful job Frank.. But just one thought!! Is that a compilation of photos of her getting older? And she's ok with this? :D

Frank Tralongo
03-15-2008, 10:29 PM
Nice job.......

The other Frank

Frank Corker
03-16-2008, 7:00 AM
Thanks Bill, but yes, she loved it. It's the arrangement buddy, it's in the arrangement!