PDA

View Full Version : Dado King vs. RCT's Dado Master

Ken Frohnert
03-14-2008, 8:22 PM
I went to the woodworking show today. I did some looking around and set throught a number of the classes and demos. I wanted to get a Dado set and looked at the Freud Super and Forrest Dado King. They were knocking $50 of a Dado King so I got it for $250. Also bought the older model WW2 for $80. The show was closing for the day and I happened to walk past a booth I had not noticed earlier - Ridge Carbide Tool. I looked at their Dado Master and thought it looked every bit as good as the Dado King. I chatted with them for a bit and watched them do a few cuts in 1/2" plywood with the Dado Master. Very flat bottomed cuts and no tear out. The RCT Dado Master was $160. Wish I would have seen this booth earlier - before I bought the Dado King but some how I missed it.

Now I wonder if I should return the Dado King to Forrest an get a Dado Master from RCT. I know the Dado King is the standard but I thought the Dado Master performed well and I would save about $90. What has your experience been with Ridge Carbide Tool saw blades; especially the Dado Master? Is the Forrest DK worth the extra $90 or should I take Forrest up on the 30 day return and send it back and get a RCT Dado Master? No matter what I am keeping the WW2.

Doug Shepard
03-14-2008, 8:38 PM
No experience with RCT saw blades but I bought a set of router bits from them years ago at a WW show and they've performed every bit as good as more well known brands. I assume the same probably applies to their saw blades. I've had the Dado King set for a long while now, and have no complaints. For years it always seemed to rule the dado set reviews in WW mags for least amount of chipout, flat bottoms, etc. I noticed the last couple of reviews that somebody else seems to have knocked them off the top of the heap though. IIRC it was a Freud set and may have been the one you mentioned.