PDA

View Full Version : Strip Canoe Plans?

Dan Barr
03-14-2008, 8:01 PM
Boats aye? :D

Anyone got plans on a strip canoe available in soft copy? that would be nice to have a free copy of.

ciao,

dan

Jim Creech
03-14-2008, 9:34 PM
Dan,
As it so happens I have an excellent book on strip planked canoes with several different plans as well as complete building instructions that I can loan you.
Oops, didn't see the "soft" part. I can arrange to have these scanned & e-mailed

Jared Cuneo
03-20-2008, 8:01 PM
Wow, thats a generous offer....I'd like to check that out too....

JC

Ben Davis
03-20-2008, 10:23 PM
I think it's called "Featherweight." My old man built one several years ago and it's beautiful. Rides like a champ and LIGHT!

Dave Dionne
03-26-2008, 2:49 PM
Could i possibly get a copy also? I am lloking for a project for my 10 yr old daughter and myself

thanks

Dave

Jim Creech
03-26-2008, 10:10 PM
Jared and Dave,
I will get these to you ASAP however the little gerbil that runs around the wheel to power my hard drive has taken ill and things have slowed down some ( maybe it's time for me to invest in a new puter)!

Dan Barr
03-28-2008, 4:43 PM
i would also like a copy of that if you dont mind.

Thanks,

Dan

Bob Johnson2
04-11-2008, 8:26 PM
Gents
If it's your 1st try at a canoe it might be worth looking for plans that have full size templates for the forms. I've used some of the green valley boat works plans and found that the templates worked perfectly. I've also made one of the Wee Lassies modified to my size in the Featherweight book from home brewed forms, they worked okay but not at nice as the form made from templates, it's hard to get them fair by eye. Of course the plans weren't free either.
Another benefit from buying them from the designer was that it allows you to call him and ask questions when you run into them.

Dan Fera
04-12-2008, 3:50 PM
Gents
If it's your 1st try at a canoe it might be worth looking for plans that have full size templates for the forms...it's hard to get them fair by eye.

Another benefit from buying them from the designer was that it allows you to call him and ask questions when you run into them.

Hi, folks. First time posting here, time to crawl out of the closet.:D

I'd strongly recommend buying the full sized plans for a first boat. Still, you should draw some section molds out by hand as it will give you a concept of what the body plan lines mean. After you've drawn a few boats, buy the plans for the one you decide to build and glue them to the plywood. I'll bet the lines you drew will vary from the bought plans by 1/8" or more in a few spots. ;)

Jim Creech
04-12-2008, 11:37 PM
Dan, I agree about drawing the stations, if nothing more than a check of the full size patterns accuracy. Unfortunately I have seen some boat plans that provided full size patterns but no Table of Offsets. No way to measure twice and cut once..One can only hope that the patterns are oversize and there is room for triming when fairing.

Steve Schoene
04-13-2008, 4:51 AM
I agree with Dan. I've not build one yet, but have looked around extensively and would certainly want the benefits of tested commercial planes.

Another issue should be mentioned. That's is the intellectual property aspects of sharing plans around. When you buy plans you mostly are buying a license to build one boat. I think designers should be encouraged to continue offering new plans which is only possible if they feel they have a chance to be compensated.

Kurt Loup
04-14-2008, 11:18 AM
If interested, here is a page (http://www.loup-garou.net/chemaunisforms.html) that shows how I cut out the forms on the last canoe I built.

Kurt

http://www.loup-garou.net/sitebuilder/images/forms-600x450.jpg

Eric Evans
04-23-2008, 4:55 PM
This is my first post since joining.

I have been involved in strip-building for many years. I strongly recommend the books Featherweight Boat Building by Henry "Mac" McCarthy and Canoe Craft by Ted Moores for anyone even thinking about strip-building.

Mac's book is great reading because he takes breaks from construction instructions and tells you about the places and paddling outings he likes to have. Mac had a newsletter with hundreds of us subscribing for years. He had a shop in Sarasota Fl. for years, teaching classes.

Mac now lives in assisted living and strip-builds ship models. His current project is the three Columbus ships.

Once you get strip-building in your blood, you are always a strip-builder.

Jim Creech
04-23-2008, 9:42 PM
I have built three of the boats in Canoecraft by Ted Moores and highly recommend his book. It takes you step by step through strip canoe construction so that a first timer will have no problem building a handsome craft. One word of advise. There are errors in the table of offsets so the boats must be lofted in order to correct these errors.

Kurt Loup
04-24-2008, 1:11 PM
I strongly recommend the books Featherweight Boat Building by Henry "Mac" McCarthy and Canoe Craft by Ted Moores for anyone even thinking about strip-building.

The first canoe I built was the Wee Lassie from Mac's book.