PDA

View Full Version : wedding invitation pricing help

Tom Majewski
03-14-2008, 8:01 PM
I have no idea what people are paying for wedding invitations. A web search shows that paper printed invites go from $1 to $9 each depending on "everything"...type of printing, type of paper, folding.
What would someone charge for 100 5x7" maple veneer (paper backed) laser engraved invitations? Simple script, no pictures/graphics.
I originally thought $6-7 each, but it looks like I'm underpricing again.

Thanks,
Tom

Laura Zaruba
03-14-2008, 8:40 PM
Figure your materials cost and your laser time, multiply that by your markup for each and see if you're in the range of wedding invitations. You are right that invitations vary from $1 on up. Maple veneer invitations are VERY unique and thus, a higher price would likely be acceptable.

Plus, don't forget how you market and present them helps. If you let people know that it only took you a few seconds to engrave and it's really "no big deal" they will probably expect a much lower price. If you put on your sales hat and present them as a hard to find, upscale alternative to traditional paper invitations, then you might get a few "oohs" and "ahhs" along with a few more $$. :-)

Anthony Scira
03-15-2008, 12:07 AM
I am pretty new at all this but I think you are looking at somewhere in more the 9 dollar range.

I mean in just materials alone its gonna be quite expensive. Just a quick look for some maple veneer with paper backing is 80 bucks for a 2'x8' sheet.

Do you have any pics of the samples you have made ?

Man there is an online store that has some REALLY nice AAA quilted maple veneer. Spray a little lacquer on that and you would be in business !

Thad Nickoley
03-15-2008, 12:20 AM
good evening Anthony can you share a website or two?

Mike Null
03-15-2008, 7:00 AM
Just a tidbit of info.

I keep my ads turned on because they are context sensitive. That just means that they usually relate to the topic of the thread.

In this case there were three links to wedding inv. sites. As I started this response and went back to copy one of them they were gone but the point is the ads can be very helpful and are not the problem many people anticipated.

At least in MHO.

We just received a wedding inv. and I think there were 3 or 4 parts to it. The announcement, a card, an rsvp and an envelope.

Thad Nickoley
03-15-2008, 12:16 PM
what do you mean "turn the ads on"?

George Elston
03-15-2008, 12:35 PM
We do invitations for Quinces (Latin 15th birthday party) and they generally sell for about $15 dollars each. (With the design that goes in I'm not sure we make money.) I have never had any complaints about the price. You have to remember that these are VERY SPECIAL occasions, and the card will be kept for years, a wedding is the same . Do they want something you can buy off the internet that anybody can get, or is this a special day that will be cherished for generations? There is also other business there, engraved wine glasses, engraved favors for the bridesmaids and groomsmen, etc. You might offer a package deal and bump the price on some things while reducing it for others to make it seem more palatable. But I always have to remember, a chicken is worth what a chicken is worth, a $5 card is just a card, a $15 card is a keepsake.

Mike Null
03-15-2008, 6:50 PM
Thad

As a contributor you are defaulted to a "no ad" format. We are working on an option button which will allow you to turn them on if you choose. (it may be done by now)

In any event I like it so I will leave mine on.