PDA

View Full Version : Maple & Walnut Crotch Jewelry Box

Chris Padilla
03-19-2004, 1:32 PM
The box is solid maple throughout with a nicely bookmatch walnut crotch inlay standing proud on top.

The drawer runs on a tongue 'n groove slider that is well-waxed.

Thanks for looking! :)

Dick Parr
03-19-2004, 1:36 PM
That sure is beautiful Chris, you do some fine work my friend. ;)

Thanks for letting us see it.

Mac McAtee
03-19-2004, 1:40 PM
Nice, very very nice.

Donnie Raines
03-19-2004, 1:46 PM
Looking good there Chris....that walnut crotch is sharp.

What finish did you use?

DonnieR

Joe Tonich
03-19-2004, 2:07 PM
Chris,

All I can say is WOW! Nice looking box! Where would one find plans for that, or, is it your own design?

Joe

Chris Padilla
03-19-2004, 2:09 PM
Oops! Very simple finish: clear Briwax. It was a little smelly (not bad) for a bit but is fine now. This box was done a few years ago...just realized I hadn't posted this little baby! :D

Chris Padilla
03-19-2004, 2:12 PM
Joe,

I saw it in a fancy shop in Boulder, CO with a $300 price tag on it and thought I could build that with the scrap lying around my father's place. Well, the crotch wasn't exactly lying around but most of it is pretty clear maple and that was lying around! :D

I can take some more detailed pics and measurements of it if you like and post later.

Jim Becker
03-19-2004, 2:31 PM
VERY nice, Chris. The walnut inlay is excellent and a great highlight on this project.

Donnie Raines
03-19-2004, 2:55 PM
By the way....are those your pearls and rings and "stuff'?..... :D :D :D

DonnieR

Tyler Howell
03-19-2004, 2:58 PM
Chris. Don't go there.....You're not a native CA so you can't be upsetting the WW balance like the Marks out there.
Very nice product.

TJH;)

Tom Sweeney
03-19-2004, 3:04 PM
I really like it. Very nice job on the bookmatching of the top.
I alwyas love small projects with nice wood as the star of the show so to speak.

Thanks for remembering to post it.

Chris DiCiaccio
03-19-2004, 3:29 PM
The box is solid maple throughout with a nicely bookmatch walnut crotch inlay standing proud on top.

Chris, That is a great piece! You did a fantastic job on that crotch. Looks good with that maple.

Joe Tonich
03-19-2004, 4:32 PM
Joe,

I saw it in a fancy shop in Boulder, CO with a $300 price tag on it and thought I could build that with the scrap lying around my father's place. Well, the crotch wasn't exactly lying around but most of it is pretty clear maple and that was lying around! :D

I can take some more detailed pics and measurements of it if you like and post later.

Chris,

A few measurements and a description on how you made the drawer slides would be great. A guy I work with has been after me to make a Jewelry box for his wifes necklaces so they wouldn't tangle and this looks like it is what he wants. :D I also happen to have a nice piece of figured walnut laying around that is looking for a permanent home. ;) Not as nice as that crotch piece, but, I think it would work out perfect.

Thanks,

Joe

Chris Padilla
03-19-2004, 5:20 PM
Joe,

Give me the weekend to provide you some more details and measurments. I'll take more detailed pics to help you out as well. Look here Monday for another post by moi. :D If I forget, PM me...no worries. :D

Chris Padilla
03-19-2004, 5:21 PM
Thanks all for the encouraging comments! I am glad you liked it...I was quite pleased with how it turned out.

Dennis Peacock
03-19-2004, 5:38 PM
Thanks all for the encouraging comments! I am glad you liked it...I was quite pleased with how it turned out.

Chris,

So how did you do the interior so nicely? What about the parts and finish for the interior...???

More....more....MORE..!!!!! ;)

Jeff Skory
03-19-2004, 6:03 PM
What Dennis said. :D

Nice job Chris. At first I thought it was a bandsaw box but then realized there was a drawer in there. I would love to know the building process you went through.

So was this before you learned about Velvit Oil? ;)

Wolf Kiessling
03-19-2004, 8:01 PM

A truly fine looking box. Love the bookmatched walnut

Steve Beadle
03-19-2004, 8:06 PM

That gorgeous jewelry box is quite an inspiration. You know, you never get tired of beauty in all its forms. Thanks, Chris, for sharing the pictures.

Bruce Page
03-19-2004, 8:44 PM
Beautiful jewelry box Chris! That walnut crotch it exceptional!

Stan Smith
03-19-2004, 10:38 PM
Well done, Chris! We're hoping that you will be motivated to do some more projects for our viewing pleasure. I guess you must have made some points with swmbo?

Stan

John Miliunas
03-19-2004, 11:00 PM
Chris, that's one jewel of a box! :D Excellent craftsmanship and very fine detail. As someone else mentioned, truly inspirational! You do good work, Chris! Thanks for posting the pics and description. :cool:

Mark Singer
03-20-2004, 8:18 AM
Chris,
Really nice!!!

Roger Fitzsimonds
03-20-2004, 10:00 AM
That is a very nice jewlery box Chris. were did you get the inside fixing, like under the lid. I relly like the bookmatch for the top. Well done. I look forward to your detailed description also.

Roger

Chris Padilla
03-21-2004, 2:27 AM
Wow...quite a response from everyone...I am a little embarrased to be honest! ;)

Okay, more details is what y'all want, then more details is what y'all will get!

Dimensions:

Box: 12 1/4" width; 7 1/8" deep; 5 1/8" tall-->all 1/2" maple

Drawer: front is 1 7/8" tall, box is 1 3/4" tall & 6" deep & 11 1/16" wide and is joined just like the rest of the box-->front is 1/2" maple but the box is 7/16" maple (forget why? :confused: )

Drawer Sliding Mechanism: the box sides were dadoed and received a runner of 3/16" tall and 9/16" wide with 1/8" hanging out for the drawer to ride on; the dado on the drawer side is 5/32" tall by 1/8" deep...the drawer works fine for what it does but it isn't the smoothest sliding drawer you've ever had! :)

Lid: 1 1/4" tall-->frame is all 1/2" maple; crotch is 1/4" thick and sits 1/8" proud and required A LOT of sanding...A LOT. :) The crotch edge had a 1/4" roundover detail.

Interior:

All the material inside is self-adhesive velvet...search on Rockler. The padded ring bar is also made from the same material...you just need some foam to wrap it around. Visit a fabric store with your wife...you may even find all this fabric and all you need there-->same with the necklace catch...some elastic sewn into some satiny material.

Hardware:
Nothing special here...just regular jewelry-size hinges and a lid support.

Anything else anyone wants to know? :D

Mark Rios
03-21-2004, 11:44 AM
Really, really nice Chris. Would you be willing to also post how one gets and installs the velvet lining? I've wanted to make a couple more boxes (not nearly as nice as yours) but I'm not sure how to go about lining one. Thanks.

Nevermind.... I must have posted my question at the same time as you posted your last one. Thanks for the information. Once again, nice job.

Gene Collison
03-21-2004, 12:19 PM
Chris,

Absolutely beautiful jewelry box. You must have really given your bandsaw a workout with all of the small detailed parts and milling the 1/2" stock. Nice job.....love the interior!

Gene