PDA

View Full Version : SawStop, Incra, Router

Jerry Booher
03-14-2008, 5:43 PM
Where do you recommend putting the router table on a SawStop with an Incra fence and 92" rails? If I put it on the left, I can use the router from the side or front. If it is on the right, I have to clear the motor door and can only use it from the same side as a table saw.

I found the following picture on the Internet. It is not my setup, but I thought it would help you see what I am asking. My rails are 40" longer than in the picture, so I can mount on either end.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee184/jerrybooher/TableSaw/SawStopIncraRouter.jpg

Jerry

Greg Hines, MD
03-14-2008, 6:00 PM
Plenty of people have the router on the right side, most publicly seen in David Marks Wood Works program. I think it is a personal choice.

That said, I think that the left side of the saw is a more appropriate place, as you can get away with using a shorter Incra positioner, since you can move the bridge over the area of the blade to adjust things.

Regardless of the side, that is a very good setup between the Incra and the SawStop. Someday when I have the space, I will get the same.

Doc

Jason Beam
03-14-2008, 6:04 PM
The left side is problematic for your guard, though - I don't know how easy it is to take the guard off the saw, but it'd have to go if you wanted to slide the incra up to the left side. Plus, you sacrifice available cutting width if you put it on the left, don't you?

Narayan Nayar
03-14-2008, 6:47 PM
Jerry,

With the Incra it actually doesn't matter too much which side you put it on. I just went into the shop and took some pictures of my setup (no Sawstop, but thats irrelevant) to show you. I've got an Incra TS-LS but I cut the 92" rails down to about 80. Sacrilege, I know... :)

http://www.narayannayar.com/images/incra_normal.jpg

The first photo is my saw most of the time. DC hooked to the saw below and to the guard above, Incra base on the innermost base stop, up to 32" capacity. There's another set of base stops at the end of the rails, which I use for larger rips (not done very often).

http://www.narayannayar.com/images/incra_over.jpg

The second photo illustrates that I can also use that second set of base stops if I want to use the Incra router with the wonderfence. I just slide everything over, swap the dc above to the wonderfence, and I've got a DC line into the cabinet (not hooked up yet because finishing the cabinet has been in "I'll get around to it" mode for about 2 years...).

http://www.narayannayar.com/images/incra_reversed.jpg

The third photo demonstrates that I can easily use the router table from a more "front" position (pushing into the fence). I'll do this mostly if I'm doing some kind of template routing, for which I would use a pin in the router lift (in which case the fence isn't necessary) of if something I'm doing just feels more comfortable or safer with the router directly in front of me. I just pick up the incra base, turn it 180 and do it that way! This photo is from the back of the saw, where you'd have to be to use the fence the way I do it. I think you can also just take the fence out of the base and insert it from the other side, but I don't do it that way. I realize the router table top is a bit deeper in this configuration than most, but it's not much of a reach for me and in fact I see it as a benefit.

It took me less than 5 minutes to take all of these photos, which gives you some idea of how easy it is to switch stuff over.

Anyway, hope this helps. Feel free to ask any questions unless their about my dirty shop...

Jim Becker
03-14-2008, 6:52 PM
Where you want to stand needs to be factored in. I'd personally be uncomfortable with the arrangement shown in your picture from a material handling standpoint, at least with the fence being used in that direction. If the fence was reversed, it would work for me. This is why I'd find a left-wing position more attractive. Of course, the deeper table of the SS makes adapting a BenchDog cast iron router wing and lift to the left more challenging... LOL

Greg Hines, MD
03-14-2008, 7:25 PM
http://www.narayannayar.com/images/incra_reversed.jpg

Pardon me, but is that TWO twin screw vises on your workbench!?!?!??!

Doc

Narayan Nayar
03-14-2008, 7:38 PM
Yes. :o

Am I in trouble?

And holy crap you have good eyes. That end vise handle is barely peeking out in the photo...

Greg Hines, MD
03-14-2008, 8:04 PM
Yes. :o

Am I in trouble?

And holy crap you have good eyes. That end vise handle is barely peeking out in the photo...

Ahh, yes. The magic of Lasik surgery.

Doc

Per Swenson
03-14-2008, 8:23 PM
Hi all,

No I am not posting in order to be contrary,

I can't stand that nonsense either.

But, big but, because I understand the space problems in the average wood

workers shop.

Alas a table saw is a table saw.

A router table should be dedicated.

( a shaper even, I know. I ask to much.)

Sorry, thats my story and I 'am stickin to it.

Per

Scott Rollins
03-14-2008, 8:57 PM
I have a sawstop with an incra fence. I have a router table on the right side. I have purchased parts to make a dedicated table. I will only use the router table on the table saw as a second router table after I complete the table (to many other projects!!). I agree with Per on this. After 3 years and alot of frustration of setting up and then having to recut some stock I hate having my table in the right side. The incra center guide post will hit your router bit if you leave it up between cuts. I tried for a while to just deal with it, but after my last cabinet door project I decided that I wanted a dedicated table. I love the incra fence. I love the Sawstop. I love the incra fence as a router fence. I dont like combining them. my $4000.

Narayan Nayar
03-14-2008, 10:07 PM
That's fine, but the combined setup works really well for some people, myself included.

I don't have a lot of space
When I set everything up I thought I would be ripping large sheet stock on the table saw. That turned out to be impossible for me due to back problems. But if I had long extensions, Incra or not, dropping a router table in there is a good use of space.
It would be a great place for a secondary router system, with a primary system being on a dedicated table.
I like having one Incra fence doing both jobs.
Truth be told, I don't use my router table that much anymore. I prefer using my Festool router or handtools.
I've never had any problem with switchover. By the time I'm routing in a project, the bit has to be _very_ high in the table to interfere with most of the cuts I do on the saw.
I am not a production shop.

To each their own. If you're not happy with either setup, you can always change.

Cary Swoveland
03-14-2008, 11:32 PM
Jerry,

I described my Sawstop/Jointech setup some time ago, at http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=57127&highlight=sawstop It may give you a few ideas. I was constrained to putting the router table to the right, as I wanted a Jessem Mast-R-Slide on the left. If I chose not to have the the Mast-R-Slide, I'd be tempted to put Bench Dog's cast iron extension on the left, largely to be able to move around the router table.

Cary

Jerry Booher
03-15-2008, 1:19 PM
Wow, thanks for all of the good advice! This forum and you guys are incredible sources of information. You are very helpful.

Jerry

Jerry Booher
03-15-2008, 1:33 PM
When you pick up the Incra fence and put it on the left to use the router and then pick it up and return it to the right, do you have to realign it?

Same question: when you move the bridge in or out and retighten it to the rails, does the fence stay parallel to the saw blade?

Jerry

Don Bullock
03-15-2008, 8:30 PM
Jerry,
The Incra bridge bumps against stops that are placed on the fence rails. They can be placed anywhere along the rails. Once the fence is calibrated to these stops it isn't necessary to reset it. If for some reason the fence does need to be re-calibrated it is very easy to do and doesn't take much time either.