PDA

View Full Version : Boxes

Dan Williams
03-14-2008, 5:36 PM
I am wanting to start making boxes. Can you make turn them using green wood ? are they like turning bowls, turn 10 10% and then paper bag for a month or so ?

Could someone please lead me in the right dirrection.

Thank you
Dan

There has got to be a way isnt there:confused:

Ron McKinley
03-14-2008, 6:24 PM
Most box makers use dry wood. Try it and let us know how it works out. Ron

Dennis Peacock
03-14-2008, 6:53 PM
Dan,

You can make boxes from green wood, just be very aware that the wood is going to move a good bit during the drying process. The wood will dry a good bit while you are turning it and especially with turning the thin walls. The real concern is in the very top and bottom of the box where the wood will be "thicker" thus creating an imbalance in the drying of the wood and will promote cracking / warping. You can dry your rough turned boxes and then finish turn them or you can buy/find some dry wood.
A nice box usually require fairly close tolerances between the lid and the body of the box..for that "suction" fit of the lid.

Scott Hubl
03-14-2008, 7:19 PM
Richard Raffen has a very good DVD on boxes.

He goes through the whole process from cutting the tree to turning the box.

He rough turns a bunch of blanks semi hollows, and tapes them together hollows facing out. Dates them and sets them aside to dry.

Buy the DVD for all the details.:D

Bernie Weishapl
03-14-2008, 9:58 PM
Yes you can turn boxes from green wood. I do it all the time. Mike Staffard helped me when I first started. I cut a tenon on both ends. I then use the 1/3 top and 2/3 bottom. Turn it to rough form and leave it thick. Soak in Denatured Alcohol for 24 hrs or more. I then wrap with brown grocery sack with the tenon ends butted together and with the ends of the grocery sack open. Let the box dry for about 3 weeks or so then take back to the lathe and finish turning. I have never had one crack on me using the DNA method. Dennis gave you some good advice.

Dennis Peacock
03-14-2008, 10:17 PM
Thanks Bernie. I plumb forgot about using the Alky bath for boxes. :o