PDA

View Full Version : E-Mail Help, Plwase

Carl Eyman
03-19-2004, 9:21 AM
I've spent the past week trying to work out of serious computer problems. Most everything works now except e-mail. When I try to reach my cable service I get an error message "A TCP/IP occurred while trying to connect to the server account Charter.net* * * * error number 0x800CCC15"
The cable company says its not their fault. When I research the error number I'm told one place it is a "socket" error and in another that Outlook Express is sometimes not compatable with Solarus (or something like that). But no help in suggesting corrections.
I know it is an imposition, but where can I turn for help?

John Miliunas
03-19-2004, 9:41 AM
I've spent the past week trying to work out of serious computer problems. Most everything works now except e-mail. When I try to reach my cable service I get an error message "A TCP/IP occurred while trying to connect to the server account Charter.net* * * * error number 0x800CCC15"
The cable company says its not their fault. When I research the error number I'm told one place it is a "socket" error and in another that Outlook Express is sometimes not compatable with Solarus (or something like that). But no help in suggesting corrections.

Carl, are you running either, Norton Anti Virus or some software-based firewall (Zone Alarm, Norton, etc...)? If so, try disabling them temporarily and try again. :cool:

Carl Eyman
03-19-2004, 9:55 AM
I am using McAfee. I disabled all three but still get same message. But thanks.

John Miliunas
03-19-2004, 10:24 AM
I am using McAfee. I disabled all three but still get same message. But thanks.

Carl, it could be that your email account is corrupt. Blow it away and setup a fresh copy. Here's Charter's link, which will get you to where you need to go in order to do it: http://support.charter.com/sdcuser/asp/browsesolutions.asp

Once in the accounts of Outlook Express, that's where you can remove the account, as well as create a new one. Keep me/us posted on progress. :cool:

Michael Perata
03-19-2004, 12:03 PM

A "socket" error is an operating system error.

Are you running Sun Solaris? If so, Outlook Express won't run on a Unix box. If not, what is "Solarus"?

Steven Wilson
03-19-2004, 12:06 PM
A "socket" error is an operating system error.

Are you running Sun Solaris? If so, Outlook Express won't run on a Unix box. If not, what is "Solarus"?

Although you're correct on that (Outlook and Solaris), Solaris would probably be the OS on the mail server and you can have OE access mail hosted on Solaris servers. As to the error, I'll have to look that one up.

Carl Eyman
03-19-2004, 2:00 PM
Although you're correct on that (Outlook and Solaris), Solaris would probably be the OS on the mail server and you can have OE access mail hosted on Solaris servers. As to the error, I'll have to look that one up.
OE has worked for about two years that I've had this computer and have been using Charter.net. Why it wants to quit now I don't know. However, I've run up the white flag of surrender. I made an appointment to bring it in to the place that built it and get them to put it straignt, I hope.

I wish I had my old CPM machine back. But then how could I get on this forum?

THANKS to all who have offered help. I wish I knew enough to use it.