PDA

View Full Version : Extraordinary Woodworking

Dave Brandt
03-19-2004, 8:20 AM
A couple of days ago, Chris Padilla posted a URL in the thread "Check out this ..." I don't know how many of you actually went there, but if you didn't, you should (although you may suffer from a severe inferiority complex after viewing). I've never, ever seen woodworking to these standards. And it seems like he's created more extraordinary pieces than I could in 10 lifetimes! Just incredible..

http://www.plamann.com/sys-tmpl/door/

Mark Singer
03-19-2004, 9:40 AM
Excellent! He has a great attitude and outlook! It is really worth seeing and reading! He is very productive and recognizes , that he himself is his most valuable tool! His thought process and outlook are inspirational....more important than his work! Everyone should view and read this website...its better than a new tool and can do more for your woodworking!

Byron Trantham
03-19-2004, 9:48 AM
Dave I agree. Simply spectacular. Intimidated? No! This is just simply beyond the scope of what WE do. My wife pointed out that the guy isn't a wood worker, He's an artist!

Tyler Howell
03-19-2004, 9:55 AM
Do you think we could sign Tom up to burn some FP on that lathe of his?
I've written to Tom a couple of times, he is very approachable and a great inspiration.
I walk around his shop sometimes just for some Ideas.
One of the great ones. I wonder how many more artists are out there (Without a web sight};)

Chris Padilla
03-19-2004, 11:24 AM
Yep...he has taken woodworking to a new high. I showed it to my LOML and she could hardly believe her eyes! I told her to not get any ideas...I don't have the time, the skill, the guts, or the tools! :)

I would retrieve his coffee for him all summer if I could afford it and he allowed it! :D

Dave, when I posted that link, his site went down temporarily due to the demand! I think his ISP was choking on the data stream!

Steven Wilson
03-19-2004, 12:13 PM
Tom's a great resource and very approachable as long as you've done your homework. IIRC he hangs out on the wreck. I've asked him a few questions over the last few years on methods of work with the shaper (curved moldings and other non-straight parts) and I can't wait to try them out. His work is stunning.