PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's"

Karl Laustrup
03-14-2008, 5:56 AM
Friday March 14th, 2008

GOOD MORNING "CREEKERS"!!

Only a few more days before the "official" beginning of spring. We've actually had some spring like weather this week. Temps mostly have been in the high 30's but, yesterday we made it to 50. There are even spots of barren earth starting to show through the snow pack. An interesting note on our snow this season. Madison, WI has had 93 inches of snow, while Minneapolis has had less than 27 inches. :confused:

I'm not going to get much done this weekend. I have a heel spur that is really keeping me from doing much of anything. It's been going on for over a week now. I should go in and get a cortisone shot, but I remember the last one. The pain of the shot was so intense. Worst pain I've ever experienced. A female aquaintance, who had a cortisone shot, said the pain of the shot was worse than child birth for her. I guess I'll do it though as this is really getting old, especially with the weather getting nicer. And it won't be long before I can golf agan, as long as I get this heel taken care of.

Mr. Howell is in Mexico for a vacation from retirement? :confused::cool::D Must be nice. :D

What's going on for the rest of you? Maybe not a vacation in Mexico, but I would hope it's going to be a good weekend and a SAFE weekend.

Enjoy.

Karl

alex grams
03-14-2008, 6:40 AM
Built a shed in back yard for yard tools over last two weeks, now just to finalize the shelves and such in it and move all of my stuff from the garage in there so i have more room for more tools in the garage! Need to put a step pad in front of the door to the shed, along with under the gate, those spots never do well for grass, so i have some white limestone i am going to set in cement.

Landscaping and miscellaneous stuff around the house primarily, nothing overly exciting. Still need to put vegetable garden in.

And, most importantly: NOT BE IN THE OFFICE ON SATURDAY FOR THE FIRST TIME IN A MONTH!

Sean Troy
03-14-2008, 7:26 AM
Just sitting in the shop reading catalogs for me for awhile. Seems I tore a muscle in my elbo that connects to my forearm so says the Doc. Lots of inflamation that needs to settle down. This really scares my wife when I just have time to look at tool catalogs out in the shop all alone right next to a phone. There is always a sliver lining :)

Doug Swanson
03-14-2008, 7:37 AM
I'll be going down to my dad's place and building a metal wood storage rack for my garage....I've got too much wood sitting on the floor and I need to get it up and out of the way...bringing my 2yr old daughter with me to play with grandma while dad and I work in his shop....should be good.

Doug

Lee Koepke
03-14-2008, 7:55 AM
Spending the weekend with the Wife. we are wandering around N Ga / NC / Tenn .... Lookout Mtn area ... its our 4th Anniversary. Looking forward to it.
(also some scouting for old hand tools .. haha)

Greg Hines, MD
03-14-2008, 8:25 AM
Friday March 14th, 2008
I have a heel spur that is really keeping me from doing much of anything. It's been going on for over a week now. I should go in and get a cortisone shot, but I remember the last one. The pain of the shot was so intense. Worst pain I've ever experienced. A female aquaintance, who had a cortisone shot, said the pain of the shot was worse than child birth for her. I guess I'll do it though as this is really getting old, especially with the weather getting nicer. And it won't be long before I can golf agan, as long as I get this heel taken care of.

Karl

Not to put too fine a point on it, but did they shoot you through the sole of your foot? That one will always hurt, as it is the way that orthopedists inject your heel. Podiatrists, however, use a medial approach through the instep that is much better tolerated.

Doc

David Duke
03-14-2008, 8:32 AM
I hope to get the rest of our pantry cabinets cases built and finished and maybe even installed Sunday since this is a long weekend for me (need to get off this computer though :( . I also will be starting the doors/drawers for said unit.

But all this may go by the wayside (hidden gloat here), our DIL just gave us our 2nd grandchild :D:D:D(another boy) and things tend to get pushed to the side when babies are around :p:p.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-14-2008, 8:36 AM
The LOML has decided we need to keep our great-granddaughter overnight tonight. Little Riley's coming over to play with Paw-paw.

I got my bandsaw setup and running last weekend.

This week end...clean up some installation debris....move the scms to it's final resting place and try to get it connected to the DC. Make some type of DC connection to and for my contractor t/s.

Maybe get started on building a assembly table for the shop.

Steven Shelby
03-14-2008, 9:19 AM
Morning Karl!

I'm happy to say that the bracket ogee feet for DW's diningroom hutch/buffet/thingie turned out famously. Have then all cut, sanded and glued up. You could say that the project is now standing on it's own 6 feet! Drawers are also done. So I plan on doing doors and gluing up the top tomorrow. Might be ready for the finishing room (just an expression... I don't actually have a finishing room) by Sunday or early next week. DW says it's some of my best work. So, in the words of Karl Spackler, "I got that goin' for me... which is nice".

If I can find a break in the weather either day, I have new mirrors I want to install on my truck. For the three camping seasons we have been towing a trailer, I have been struggling with mirrors. I started with mirrors that attached to the regular mirror with suction cups. One fell off at about 65 mph on I-95. So I got some that attached to the fender of the truck... they were horrible. couldn't see anything. So I got some that were reccommended by several people that strap to the door. They were impossble to keep adjusted. So I bit the bullet and bought actual replacement mirrors at extend out 6 inches for towing... all electrically controlled from the drivers seat, with a built-in turn signal to boot. So that will hopefully be my Sunday outdoor project!

All that, a visit or two to the beverage cooler, and a little racing from Bristol on Sunday, and we'll be good to go.

Geez! Almost forgot: DW's birthday on Sunday. Dinner at her favorite Italian place will be in order!

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Steve

Al Willits
03-14-2008, 9:38 AM
Trim work on the TV stand/cabinet is done, now just to make the doors for it and start finishing..finally

Weather is suppose to be nice in the Twin Cities this weekend, and beasty has no plans for me, or so she says.

So, hopefully a weekend in the garage, I also have the computer done that I will use out there to keep woodworking tips and stuff on, and also supply music to the stereo's pre amp, and will try to get that up and running.

Looks like a good weekend.

Good luck on the heel Karl...you play golf???

Al......who see's a Creeker woodworking/golf gathering maybe..:)

David G Baker
03-14-2008, 9:51 AM
Friday March 14th, 2008

GOOD MORNING "CREEKERS"!!

Only a few more days before the "official" beginning of spring. We've actually had some spring like weather this week. Temps mostly have been in the high 30's but, yesterday we made it to 50. There are even spots of barren earth starting to show through the snow pack. An interesting note on our snow this season. Madison, WI has had 93 inches of snow, while Minneapolis has had less than 27 inches. :confused:

I'm not going to get much done this weekend. I have a heel spur that is really keeping me from doing much of anything. It's been going on for over a week now. I should go in and get a cortisone shot, but I remember the last one. The pain of the shot was so intense. Worst pain I've ever experienced. A female aquaintance, who had a cortisone shot, said the pain of the shot was worse than child birth for her. I guess I'll do it though as this is really getting old, especially with the weather getting nicer. And it won't be long before I can golf agan, as long as I get this heel taken care of.

Mr. Howell is in Mexico for a vacation from retirement? :confused::cool::D Must be nice. :D

What's going on for the rest of you? Maybe not a vacation in Mexico, but I would hope it's going to be a good weekend and a SAFE weekend.

Enjoy.

Karl
Karl,
If you know for sure that you have a heel spur ignore the following. I had a foot problem that I thought was a heel spur but it turned to be a weak Achilles tendon. I would wake up in the middle of the night for a trip to the loo and could not walk due to the extreme pain. I was going to physical therapist at the time for a shoulder problem and I told the therapist about the problem. He told me to get a 2x4 and place it against a wall, stand on it with my toes only and raise and lower my body 10 times while supporting my weight on my toes only. This exercised the tendons (or what ever they are) in my feet that ran from the back of my ankle to the pads of my feet near my toes. I did the exercise twice a day for three weeks and have never had the problem since.
If you actually do have a spur, get it checked out before end up with a condition that won't let you do all the fun things you want to do.

Brad Schmid
03-14-2008, 10:12 AM
Going camping for 5 days near San Marcos, TX while the kids are on spring break, so no woodworking for me (aside from whittling a stick at fireside;) ) Should be nice weather though. Looks like we're getting to 88 deg today :p
I hope the fish are hungry!
Hope ya'll have a nice weekend.
Cheers

Lori Kleinberg
03-14-2008, 10:51 AM
Hopefully I will have pictures of the graduating girls (one with a Masters and one with a PHD) this weekend so I can attach them to the scrap book/picture album I scrolled for them (pictures when complete).
Need to rout openings in my drill press table that I have also been working on.
Going to pick up my new Jet ProShop saw with cast wings on Saturday :cool: :D. I was gonna see about picking up so wood to use on my new saw, but decided to take any extra cash to donate to our humane society.
They just confiscated 750 small breed dogs from one home. Yes I said 750, not a typing error. They said about 100 of the females are pregnant. There were also 36 exotic birds. A severe case of hording :eek:.

Steven Shelby
03-14-2008, 11:00 AM
Going camping for 5 days near San Marcos, TX while the kids are on spring break, so no woodworking for me (aside from whittling a stick at fireside;) ) Should be nice weather though. Looks like we're getting to 88 deg today :p
I hope the fish are hungry!
Hope ya'll have a nice weekend.
Cheers
Brad, I am so jealous that I can hardly stand it! I saw the words "going camping" and almost broke into tears. Our camper is still under cover for a few more weeks:mad:

Gary Kvasnicka
03-14-2008, 11:57 AM
I am going to The Woodworking Show in Chantilly, VA near DC wish me luck with the traffic. LOML is going to keep me from spending to much:rolleyes:

Matt Meiser
03-14-2008, 12:04 PM
Tomorrow I'm taking a hand cut dovetails class with Chris Schwarz at Woodcraft in Sterling Heights, MI. After the class, Chris is coming to a dinner get-together our club is having. Should be a fun day, but long, since Sterling Heights is something like 75 miles from where I live :eek:

I'll probably have to work the rest of the weekend. :(

Geoff Potter
03-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Going on a shop crawl with other members from NCwoodworking.com. We are going to visit eight shops in the raleigh area and basically bs all day with a break for Tex Mex at lunch. Taking my camera so I can steal some good ideas.

Steve Kolbe
03-14-2008, 1:04 PM
Disc Golf tomorrow - Spring has already sprung in Texas...

Then starting the remodel on my 5 year old daughter's room.

Fred Voorhees
03-14-2008, 1:33 PM
Spraying the base/sink cabinet and its doors and drawer front over the weekend. Will be installing that next Friday after work so that the countertops can be measured up and ordered the next day. Other than that, it might be a bit of a catch-up weekend. Clean up the shop, take care of a few other things....because the next three weekends will be busy in one way or another either at home or away.

Brad Schmid
03-14-2008, 2:06 PM
Brad, I am so jealous that I can hardly stand it! I saw the words "going camping" and almost broke into tears. Our camper is still under cover for a few more weeks:mad:

I'm from PA, so I know what you mean. This is the time of year that I don't miss the Northeast... The in-between snowy, rainy, slushy, messy time.. Come August, I'll be jealous of you:D

Lance Norris
03-14-2008, 4:24 PM
More bandsawn boxes. Im going to be giving them away and need about 10. I have 6 cut, glued, and sanded now. Need to glue up 4 more blanks. I got the riser on my Ridgid bandsaw and used it today for the first time with the riser. It still has the original 3/4 horse motor, and I was wondering how it would do sawing through 6" of maple and bloodwood. It did great, powered through in no time flat. I think its going to be fine with the 3/4 horse. Its really smooth now with a link belt and balanced wheels. So many people complain about the Ridgid bandsaw, and with just a little bit of tuning, its become a very fine addition to my shop.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=79335

Jim Becker
03-14-2008, 4:53 PM
I'll be starting the cabinets for my office in the addition this weekend.

David Sallee
03-14-2008, 5:53 PM
Welp... WE are gonna start cleaning out our 1 car garage to turn it into a SHOP! My wifes mother passed away 2 yrs ago and we got all her stuff, in boxes, LOTS and LOTS of boxes! Enough to line the walls of the garage 2 boxes deep and as high as I can toss them (10 ft ceilings) and along ALL three walls!!!! The wife finally said the other day "it's time I go through mom's stuff"

I know how hard it was for her to loose her mom so I never pushed the issue, I let her (my wife) come to her own terms of going through the stuff... We went through one box the other day and found grocery receipts from 1972 !!!! She saved everything and anything.. LOL

That being said, we are going to try to go through most of it this weekend, That's first on the list.

Second.... I'm going to design a small shed for our back yard for all the lawn stuff in our garage (soon to be shop). Our back yard is fully fenced and no way to get back there with a pre-fab one soooo .. I'll build one :D . I got some questions on this but I'll post them in another thread....

Third... IF we get the new shop mostly cleared, I'm gonna start painting the walls and add more lighting.... then start on my new work bench design ...

That SHOULD keep me busy most of the weekend.....

I added a pic of our garage... doesn't look like much but this is just one corner!

Dave

Michael Pfau
03-14-2008, 6:21 PM
I just completed an 'irish table' just a small round table, like a pub table. My wife wanted one..no i mean two...now she wants another one!! I built the first one out of some nice knotty pine... and i think the second one will be ash. So I will be putting on another coat of finish on that, and I bought the new delta 20 inch drill press a few weeks ago..so I am going to play with that some. Also i got a set of very old chisels...on ebay..dunlaps from Germany..very old.. i need to display them in some way..so I have alot of playing to to this weeekend...have fun everyone!!

Jim Dunn
03-14-2008, 7:50 PM
Just working all weekend.:mad::mad: I will make money doing it though:o:o Maybe I can buy some more tools:( Noooooo my wife tells me owe Uncle Bush some money this year soooooooooo No tools for Jim:eek:;)

Barry Nelson
03-14-2008, 8:26 PM
Good luck David,bil has just had that problem,filled two skips with "irreplaceable" stuff.:D

Jerry Olexa
03-15-2008, 1:01 PM
Dinner with friends last night. At my son's for dinner tonight and our 2 yr old grandaughter will be overnight sunday PM. Got in 30 minutes of shoptime today.....Karl, take care of the heel,,,get some rest.

Tim Morton
03-15-2008, 3:21 PM
Building a subwoofer for my HT...first time working with Baltic Birch. Sof far no complaints:p

Ben Cadotte
03-15-2008, 6:42 PM
Thursday and Friday spent time building an outfeed table / assembly bench behind my table saw 32" x 8' wide. Made one side with 9 cubbies / shelves, and the other divided into 4 sections to add drawers. Ran out of propane so lost heat Friday. Stopped at the point with the top on and ready to level the table. Need to order some drawer slides and materials to do the drawers. I actually had enough material on hand to build the bench. Won't win any awards for looks as I used MDF for the top and shelf dividers, OSB for bottom shelf boards, Poplar plywood for sides and certer spine, CDX for middle shelf, and 2x4's for lap jointed bottom and top frames. With doors and drawers on it will never tell though. :D

Used new Milwaukee 5616 router. Man is it nice to use an easilly adjustable router. Also gave the Radial Arm Saw a good work out with a dado set in it to do all the lap joints. Just refilled the propane tanks today so will at it again tomorrow. Need to level the saw (had not done it since I moved in). And then new table to the saw. Doors and Drawers are going to have to wait till next trip home I think.