PDA

View Full Version : Weekend doin's?

Bob Lasley
03-19-2004, 7:49 AM
Hey, someone said its Friday!!!

It looks as if Spring has sprung here in Okieland, which unfortunately means more yard and garden work and less ww time. :( Looks like that is what the majority of my weekend will be spent doing. I might sneak in turning a pen or two though.

So what's happening in your world this weekend?

Have a great weekend all,
Bob

Larry Browning
03-19-2004, 8:26 AM
I'm going to Springfield, MO to pickup my new G1023SL and G0500 8x75 jointer :D I should be able to work on setup Sat. afternoon and Sunday. But next week I must get the taxes done :(

Dan Smith
03-19-2004, 8:47 AM
Plumbing rough in for the new upstairs master bath, luckily, only need to drop one new drain and can use most of the rough in done originally in the house (20 year old cape that never got the 2nd story finished). I figure it will take me around a day, which means it will probably be done in 3. If I learned one thing from rebuilding an old boat is that projects always take 3 times longer than expected and cost 2-10 times more.

-dan

Tyler Howell
03-19-2004, 8:54 AM
I'm going to Springfield, MO to pickup my new G1023SL and G0500 8x75 jointer :D I should be able to work on setup Sat. afternoon and Sunday. But next week I must get the taxes done :(
You're just teasing us Larry! we've heard this before. Pix.....;)

Jim Becker
03-19-2004, 9:10 AM
I'll be working on the LCD TV bench doing final sanding and getting the finish started as well as completing the burl turning I gave a sneak preview a few days ago. Saturday night is also "third Saturday" out with another couple for dinner. Any additional time will be spent with some needed shop cleaning. I may get over to Fred's to check out the final DC installation later today, too.

Dave Anderson NH
03-19-2004, 9:16 AM
I have to finish the painting of the hallway to the second floor before SWMBO gets home from FL on Sunday morning. I also have to complete the recaulk of the shower enclosure door frame to give it time to cure. After that it's shop time. I have a bunch of marking knife handles to turn and put finish on. My supplier ran out of snakewood. Someone came in and bought $7000 worth in one purchase. I bought some Gabon ebony and some tulipwood and will make a few handles out of that. If time is available I will turn some awl handles. Sunday will be quality time with SWMBO after she returns and gets unpacked. I really missed her for the last week, but I managed to get house project done which couldn't be done with her around. I'm sure she is going to be surprised and pleased.

Byron Trantham
03-19-2004, 9:22 AM
I'll be prepping LOML sewing room for paint. Tomorrow I go to our yearly WW show with my brother-in-law. Will be looking for a belt sander.

The yard is calling. Yuk!

Steven Wilson
03-19-2004, 9:28 AM
Flying down to Austin, Texas tonight to attend a seminar at MiniMax this weekend. The seminar is covering combination machines and bandsaws, should be fun.

Frank Pellow
03-19-2004, 9:29 AM
I will be finishing my last inside project before embarking on the construction of my new workshop. Specifically, I will be putting the final coat of paint on the wainscoting and trim in the laundry room and attached loo, then installing the new toilet and sink in the loo.

Tyler Howell
03-19-2004, 9:37 AM
Flying down to Austin, Texas tonight to attend a seminar at MiniMax this weekend. The seminar is covering combination machines and bandsaws, should be fun.

Stelth Gloat Steve 5 yard penalty. We want pictures.;)

Rob Bourgeois
03-19-2004, 9:38 AM
Not much wood working this weekend, I am sort of in limbo waiting for my wife to go into labor. Doctors said any day now, so I cant really get started on something that I cant put down for a while.I will however decide on which bandsaw blades I need to get for the new Powermatic 14CS that I just finished setting up and tuning. That things cut through 4 in oak like butter. My table saw bogs down on 2 inch.
Good tools make a difference.

So I will probably cut the weeds and blow the leaves that the live oaks are dropping. Seems that I start blowing /raking leaves in October and continue raking till April with only January as a break. I love the trees but hate the leaf raking.

Tyler Howell
03-19-2004, 9:43 AM
A former SO in good standing is turning the big 5-0. Working with others on a surprise party for tomorrow. Taking her to the theater tonight.:cool:
Shop time and long punch list on home remuddling projects.;)

Dave Brandt
03-19-2004, 10:16 AM

Of course, you'll be reporting back to us, right? I've been drooling over the European saws and the combo machines this past year. Just tired of our 100 year old tablesaw technology and having to spend so much more money on safety gear, dust collection capabilities, and other features for our USA-type saws. Unfortunately, I'm on double-secret tool buying probation (I've been a bad boy) until we move next year. Then its Katy bar the door! I'm goin' European this time.

Oh, almost forgot, the Woodworking show is here in northern VA this weekend. Maybe I can sneak something small into the house!

Kurt Aebi
03-19-2004, 10:20 AM
Yep Bob,

Spring has sprung here in Vermont as well - Only 8 Inches of snow this week!

We were down to having snow just where it was plowed into piles, what a tease!

Anyway, the F-I-L and I are going to be finishing up his Maple book-case this w/e and watching the NCAA tournament, of course -

GO PITT!

Steven Wilson
03-19-2004, 10:57 AM
Stelth Gloat Steve 5 yard penalty. We want pictures.;)

Well, since I should be receiving a new combo unit next month I figured I might want to invest a bit of time before hand getting familliar with one and finalize the dust collection fittings I'll need so that I can get them fabricated. Besides it can't be bad having Kelly Mehler pass on his knowledge of combo machines and Mark Duginske talk about bandsaws. Besides, there's this barbeque place on 290 between Austin and Houston that I really like. It's been 13 years since I've been there but I have a friend in Houston who's sending me the details.

Jim Hill 2
03-19-2004, 12:56 PM
I'm surprised Julie didn't jump on the opportunity to tell everyone that she organized a Turn-A-Thon at the Charleston Woodcraft this Saturday. I'm going to stop by and see how the pens are going for the Freedom Pen Project and offer my flat woodworking skills to the cause. I figure if I show up with a few board foot of Walnut someone might take pity on me and show me how these pens are made! :cool:

The world is flat...will not become a turner...resisting assimilation.

Dick Parr
03-19-2004, 1:10 PM
Just got back from my first physical therapy treatment and feel better then I have in more then 6 months. I might get to spend more then an hour a day out in the shop. :D I plan on making some display stands for pens and bottle stoppers.

I will also be spending some time this weekend with last minuet items getting ready for our first camping trip with our new trailer at the end of next week. Spring has sprung around here and it sure is getting pretty outside. :cool:

Tyler Howell
03-19-2004, 2:13 PM
[QUOTE=Dick Parr]Just got back from my first physical therapy treatment and feel better then I have in more then 6 months. I might get to spend more then an hour a day out in the shop. :D I plan on making some display stands for pens and bottle stoppers.

I will also be spending some time this weekend with last minuet items getting ready for our first camping trip with our new trailer at the end of next week. Spring has sprung around here and it sure is getting pretty outside. :cool:

Dick,
Glad to hear your kicking up you're heels. "A man's(and woman's) place is in the shop.";)

Rob Littleton
03-19-2004, 2:22 PM
(SIGH)..........

packing,packing and more packing...............

I have to pack the shop this weekend but that puts me out of touch for a month or so. I aint 'appy about that.

Anyways, back to packing (groan)

Chris Padilla
03-19-2004, 2:26 PM
Boy, Bob said it...YARD WORK!!! I gotta wear sunglasses, shorts, no shirt, and lottsa 50 spf this weekend. It is rough when the sun shines here in California...everything starts growing like crazy.... :D

Since I worked a half-day last Saturday, I get to take off after lunch today.

Let's see, I have sprinklers to redo, several hedges that need violently chopped back. They'll look like hell for a couple months but doggone it, it needs to be done!

I gotta redo some sprinkler plumbing as well as redo sprinklers.

I have some large overgrown bushes that I'm sick of...those will be ripped out.

Gotta fertilize, too! :rolleyes:

Oh, any my good neighbor Mr. Michael Perata is gonna help me resaw some of that fine figured maple I posted about a week or so ago! :D :D Whata guy! :D :D

Rob Littleton
03-19-2004, 3:01 PM
Boy, Bob said it...YARD WORK!!! I gotta wear sunglasses, shorts, no shirt, and lottsa 50 spf this weekend. It is rough when the sun shines here in California...everything starts growing like crazy.... :D

Since I worked a half-day last Saturday, I get to take off after lunch today.

Let's see, I have sprinklers to redo, several hedges that need violently chopped back. They'll look like hell for a couple months but doggone it, it needs to be done!

I gotta redo some sprinkler plumbing as well as redo sprinklers.

I have some large overgrown bushes that I'm sick of...those will be ripped out.

Gotta fertilize, too! :rolleyes:

Oh, any my good neighbor Mr. Michael Perata is gonna help me resaw some of that fine figured maple I posted about a week or so ago! :D :D Whata guy! :D :D

Can you squeeze in a Burgess Bit demo?

Or before I leave maybe

Dennis Peacock
03-19-2004, 5:40 PM

<b>Ok Larry.....</b>

That is a penalty for the stealth gloat!!!!! Make sure you post pics!

Dennis Peacock
03-19-2004, 5:42 PM
Hey Bob...

I'll be working on more pens as well as finishing some of the Adirondack chairs. Got two of them assembled and stained....only got 4 more to go.!

Mike Evertsen
03-19-2004, 6:26 PM
started on a shop addition,,,,10 x 14 storage shed for lumber storage and in warm weather I can spray finish in there,,,,I have to post pictures Sunday,,,,,,

Steve Beadle
03-19-2004, 8:13 PM
I'll be turning red oak for the legs of a Victorian washstand I'm making for my oldest daughter. I might also make a lathe steadyrest if I run into much in the way of vibration problems. And I might do some more thinking about how to provide dust collection when using a gouge on the lathe--impossible, I know!

Jim Becker
03-19-2004, 8:49 PM
And I might do some more thinking about how to provide dust collection when using a gouge on the lathe--impossible, I know!

Not impossible...you just need to wear a really big hood on your chest that you can aim at the stream of shavings as they come off the tool...and not trip over the hose in the process! :D

Fred Voorhees
03-19-2004, 11:46 PM
Probably not much shop time this weekend. Will be clearing out the old attached two car garage and hopefully beginning to rip out the old drywall to begin the extensive renovation/remodeling job that will see the room that has long been "closed in" become a great den with a massive oak bar and pool table as well as the other usual amenities. And yes, Tyler, I think I will acquire my first digital camera so that I can regularly update the progress on this here board. :D

Besides that, I need to go over my dust collection system and finalize the few small items that I need to complete all hookups. A few odd reducers and maybe another length of 4" hose. Any other time left this weekend will be spent watching the NASCAR Nextel cup racing on Sunday afternoon and spending some time putting together a photo retrospective on a local speedway that I went to for nearly forty years and worked at for nearly ten in the press department. The retrospective will be featured on a racing internet site.

Greg Heppeard
03-20-2004, 9:19 AM
Worked on a slab of buckeye burl for a hanging display of Native American artifacts...pics to follow

Scott Coffelt
03-20-2004, 11:30 AM
Just got back in town late lastnight form a nice littel family vacation in So Cal. Went to Sea World, Disney Land, San Diego Harbor Cruise, visiting friends and a round of golf. My four year old just had a blast.

I got to see the U.S.S. Midway. They are getting ready to be a tour attraction in San Diego. June 2004. Damn, those things are big. Made me proud to be an American. Thanks to all who served.

Glad to see that things kept running along while I was out..... :D

Chris Padilla
03-21-2004, 2:36 AM
Can you squeeze in a Burgess Bit demo?

Or before I leave maybe

Oh yeah! I forgot about that...when are you leaving? Email me and we'll hook up. :)