PDA

View Full Version : Iron Mountain Facility

Jim O'Dell
03-13-2008, 7:48 PM
A friend sent me this link. Thought it was really interesting. Not woodworking related, but still....
So how many of you from PA knew about this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aou6c2MOmg
Jim.

Jim Becker
03-13-2008, 8:09 PM
I was aware of some of this...but there were some interesting details in that piece new to me. Thanks for posting it!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-13-2008, 8:15 PM
It's not a secret any more!

John Shuk
03-14-2008, 7:59 PM
Iron Mountain has a facility here in NY as well. Somewhere around Kingston if I recall correctly. I think they bought out Pierce Business Archives. There are electronic versions of those places too. I was in one and it security was "pretty tight" to say the least.

Neal McCormick
03-15-2008, 2:45 PM
I worked for a company who maintained a backup computer site in Iron Mountain - a full duplicate of the main computer center at the headquarters. You just drive in and right to your facility (after passing through security of course). This was probably 20 years ago. It is very impressive. When I was there most of the sites (the individual rooms) were unnamed so you didnt really know who your "neighbor" was. It is quite a facility.

Dexter Hahn
03-19-2008, 9:40 AM
I worked for Iron Mountain for several years (not in the PA facility), they have other facilities that are pretty impressive. You wouldn't believe some of the things I saw that were being stored in various places around the country... original classic cartoon cells, master recording tapes for world famous musicians, things like that.
There was a facility in a deep sub-basement of the World Trade Center that was so secure and safe, that nobody there heard or felt the blast when it was bombed in 1993, they only figured it out when they came up and saw the damage. It was eventually moved to another location (well before 9/11).

Kim Dressler
03-19-2008, 11:41 AM
I live in Pa and never heard of Iron Mountain before. I guess I should have paid attention more when mom and dad took me on our little fieldtrips.

Dennis Peacock
03-19-2008, 11:58 AM
Awesome story. Thanks for the link.

Gerald Delaune
03-25-2008, 2:36 PM
Actually there are a couple different companies that do the same thing, data storage and security of data. The other company that I know of is called Recall. These companies security rivals Fort Know. I toured the Recall facility in Lewisville, Texas a couple of years ago when the company I work for was looking into offsite storage. Most all major corporations store there data at these types of places. A courier will come to your office on a daily basis to drop off and pick up that nights back-up data tapes. Really big business. Think of it this way, your personal information @ banks is backed up to tapes daily and stored at locations like the one in the video and or vaults like the one I toured.

John Shuk
03-25-2008, 5:46 PM
My wifes cousin told me this weekend that he just started working for Iron Mountain at the corporate headquarters. He thought it was funny that I knew a bit about them. Funny how things happen.