PDA

View Full Version : color filling acrylic sheet

Craig Hogarth
03-13-2008, 7:27 PM
I have to run a few samples of vector artwork engraved on acrylic and color filled. I just tried doing it on cast with the paper left on as a mask and glue residue was left throughout the engraving.

If i get the job, it's going to be several hundred of them, so I'm looking for the quickest technique that gives satisfactory results.

any suggestions?

Anthony Welch
03-13-2008, 7:50 PM
I've been doing some Easter stuff for a gift shop. Clear 1/8" delvies acrylic and engraving from the back side(flipping the image/art). Leaving the paper mask on and color filling w/acrylic paint and small artist brush. Then peeling off the back mask, clean, spray paint back, dry and remove front paper mask.

These are easter egg w/rabbit clip art , w/kids name engraved on the egg. I'm a little worried the edges are to sharp and might cut a little one/ but even trying, I can't get it to cut me. The client likes them though.

Craig Hogarth
03-13-2008, 8:53 PM
anthony, i get mine from tap. you don't get any glue residue left over?

Rodne Gold
03-14-2008, 1:00 AM
Best way is the old way , flood fill with paint , use a piece of stiff card to wipe the excess and use meths to clean off any residue. Masks can work as well , but use the paper based vinyl application tape sign guys use.

James Mooney
03-14-2008, 7:09 AM
Rodne, do you let the paint dry first or how do you prevent the fill from being wiped from the middle of the recesses?

Bill Cunningham
03-15-2008, 9:04 PM
That why you use a 'stiff' card to scrape across the surface.. It will squeegee the excess paint off, but its not so soft as to go down into the engraving and remove the paint below the surface.. There will be some smearing on the surface, but this is easily cleaned up afterwards..

James Mooney
03-16-2008, 11:45 PM
thanks Bill