PDA

View Full Version : New Table Saw

Richard Wolf
03-13-2008, 6:46 PM
I picked up a new table saw today. I never thought I would purchase a new saw, I have used my Powermatic 66 for 15 yrs, and believed it would last the rest of my life.
What did I buy you ask, a Saw Stop. The other day I had an accident, which is my second in 4 years. My hand contacted the rear of the blade. Last time I lost the tip of my middle finger, this time I removed a chunk from my index finger. I'll heal and be fine, but I worry about the next time, and I worry about my son.
Let me say that I am very well informed and completely understand the safe use and operation of the table saw. It was all my fault, but when you are doing this for a living, time is money, and sometimes things are not done the same as if we had all the time in the world.
Anyway, I'll feel better about my son on the saw, and I know that I've had my last serious incident with my table saw.
Hope you all stay safe and be careful.

Richard

Greg Peterson
03-13-2008, 6:56 PM
Glad to hear your injury isn't too serious.

Congrats on the new saw. Your new saw addresses two very practical concerns. Smart move.

Alan Greene
03-13-2008, 6:57 PM
Richard,
For the benefit of all could you elaborate on what you were doing when the incident occurred?

Also, IMHO even with a Sawstop you still have to keep safety in the forefront. Do you think a change in process/procedure would be just as important as starting using the Saw stop? I really am interested in your thoughts on this and not trying to question the merits of the Saw stop which I would purchase if I could.

I am glad your injury was relatively minor and congrats on the new saw.

Dave Bureau
03-13-2008, 7:06 PM
Good for you and your son. Its good insurance. I was actually looking at them myself today. Nice saw. If my kid was using my saw I would have one in a heart beat. but I probably would not tell him that it would brake the blade. that way he would still have respect for the saw.
Dave

Richard Wolf
03-13-2008, 7:32 PM
Alan, both my accidents were similar in nature, this recent one, I was ripping a thin strip, using a push stick. Near the end of the cut the strip started to rise up on the blade, I reached behind the blade to push the strip back down on the table, as I did it reengaged the blade and I must have relaxed my push on the push stick. The strip kicked back with my finger on top of the strip and pasted thru the blade. The blade was only 1/4" above the wood, which saved my finger from amputation. After these two situations, I can say this, having your hand behind the blade is always a situation to be avoided.
I realize that using a Saw Stop is not an excuse to be careless or unsafe. These incidents are never planned or expected. I just realize after this past accident that I am not infoulable (sp) and want to stack the cards in my favor.
Like I said in the op, I was at fault, things could have been done safer, but risks are sometimes taken, and sometimes foolishly.
Let me explain what a blade strike is like. Few people realize how much inertia a blade has, a 10" blade weighs a few pounds and spins at a high rpm's. The strike feels like a sledge hammer hitting your finger. You do not realize you are cut at first, it's only after you see blood or look at your hand that you are sure what happened. To me, it is the anger and stupidity that bothers me the most at first. Then it is the disappointment knowing how long the healing process will take and the time that will be wasted.
Stay safe.

Richard

Jim Becker
03-13-2008, 7:36 PM
Richard, I, too, am glad that your injury was not severe. Hopefully, the damage will heal quickly so you can get back on your wonderful stair "art"...which is what I consider it!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-13-2008, 7:43 PM
Richard....I'm glad your injury wasn't more severe and hope you will heal quickly. The Sawstop should improve the safety for everyone involved in operating it.

Alan Greene
03-13-2008, 8:02 PM
Richard
Thanks, and again I am glad that your injury is minor. I have taken a few lessons learned from your explanation.

Mike Bosdet
03-13-2008, 8:26 PM
Richard,

I echo the others; glad the injury wasn't worse. We're all guilty of pushing the limits...look how many accidents occur with something as low-tech as a ladder!

Thanks for having the consideration to pass your experience on to your fellow woodworkers. Maybe it will save a finger or two.

Peter Quinn
03-13-2008, 8:37 PM
Richard...Glad your ok...where can I pick up that old PM66?

Joe Jensen
03-13-2008, 8:44 PM
Richard, it's good to hear that you will heal. When I was 14 I got my left index finger into the saw. I was lucky that the blade was only 1/4" above the table, but it still made hamburger out of the tissue on the end of my finger. It eventually healed and I have no long term issues (30 years later), but the tip had no feeling for years.

When I saw the SawStop I bought one. Great saw.

Richard Wolf
03-13-2008, 8:46 PM
Craig's List!

Richard

Jim Andrew
03-13-2008, 10:33 PM
Richard, that's probably a smart thing to do. As we get older, seems like we have more accidents. I knew an old man who had been a carpenter all his life, and after he was retired he was ripping a board, and just pushed his hand right on through the blade. Made a rip probably 4" long right up his hand. Bout made me sick just seeing the scar. Jim

gary Zimmel
03-13-2008, 10:51 PM
Richard

Glad to here that you are Ok.

Thank you for the reminder that the machines we have can be at times very unforgiving...

David Parker
03-13-2008, 11:12 PM
As someone just starting out in woodworking, the dangers of a table saw have always been forefront on my mind. I'm not totally sure if I'll end up getting one due to space constraints, but it seems most of the fun stuff requires one. Now that I see SawStop is coming out with a contractors saw model (according to their web site due Spring 2008), the price should not be as much of an obstacle and maybe I can find room for one.

Hope you have a speedy recovery Richard!

Dave

Greg Peterson
03-13-2008, 11:42 PM
Richard, do you think a riving knife would have prevented the strip from lifting up in the first place? Just curious.

Mike Heidrick
03-13-2008, 11:54 PM
Rich, I hope you get better quickly.

Now let me tell you that the sawstop you bought is incredible and you and your son are going to be very very happy with it. I really hope that you do not miss the PM66 at all. The fit and finish, the mass and stability, the setup and maint, all are outstanding!!!!! Wait till you get to use it and you will see how nice it truely is!! Sorry you bought it for this reason but it is definately not a step backwards!! Plus you get to now use the sawstop riving knife which is awesome.

Greg Cole
03-14-2008, 7:41 AM
Richard,
Good to hear you weren't hurt seriously & will heal fine. I have a pinky thats a wee bit shorter than it once was from a jointer manicure I performed in December, another case of not really doing anything wrong nor unsafe.. just inherent dangers in ww'ing.
After the jointer incident I definatlely put a saw stop on my list for replacing my General contractor saw when I get to that point. I have a young'un that's always helping me in all things & by the time he's big 'nuff for using a TS I'll make sure it's as safe as can be ala saw stop.
My pinky all told was close to $2k, which would be a nice deposit on a SS... but thankfully my insurance picked up the bills. Maybe I should scratch up $2K to set aside....:rolleyes:
And, what Jim said about those stairs....
Greg

Brent Ring
03-14-2008, 9:56 AM
Richard,

Thanks for your story. Sorry to hear about the injury and glad it was not too serious. I recently dadoed the tip of my finger, and while it was not serious enough for external medical attention, it got me and my wife thinking. Sawstop will be my next table saw purchase. I have decided that is the case. Now if I can get thru children in college and keep my fingers intact.....:D

jason lambert
03-14-2008, 10:18 AM
Richard glad to hear it wasn't to serious. It could of been worse. Anyhow I was going to get a nice table saw used but talking with my wife she actually convinced me to spend the extra $$$ to get a saw stop. She trusts me but My father which is old and a hazard to himself, but doesn't relies it, works there sometimes and my kids may someday so in the long run not only for me but for others I think it is the way to go. The trouble is it is taking me along time to save for one :(

Craig D Peltier
03-14-2008, 10:22 AM
Alan, both my accidents were similar in nature, this recent one, I was ripping a thin strip, using a push stick. Near the end of the cut the strip started to rise up on the blade, I reached behind the blade to push the strip back down on the table, as I did it reengaged the blade and I must have relaxed my push on the push stick. The strip kicked back with my finger on top of the strip and pasted thru the blade. The blade was only 1/4" above the wood, which saved my finger from amputation. After these two situations, I can say this, having your hand behind the blade is always a situation to be avoided.
I realize that using a Saw Stop is not an excuse to be careless or unsafe. These incidents are never planned or expected. I just realize after this past accident that I am not infoulable (sp) and want to stack the cards in my favor.
Like I said in the op, I was at fault, things could have been done safer, but risks are sometimes taken, and sometimes foolishly.
Let me explain what a blade strike is like. Few people realize how much inertia a blade has, a 10" blade weighs a few pounds and spins at a high rpm's. The strike feels like a sledge hammer hitting your finger. You do not realize you are cut at first, it's only after you see blood or look at your hand that you are sure what happened. To me, it is the anger and stupidity that bothers me the most at first. Then it is the disappointment knowing how long the healing process will take and the time that will be wasted.
Stay safe.

Richard

I must tell I have been doing the same thing that you did. Just recently on an off I have been using a pencil to keep it down when needed. I will no longer as of today use my hand. Thanks for the wake up

Lori Kleinberg
03-14-2008, 10:38 AM
Richard, glad to hear your accident was not any worse and hopefully you will be back WW before long. Thank you for sharing your accident. I think we all need a reminder occasionally about the dangers of woodworking. I have had a couple of small kickback incidents, but never been cut by a turning saw blade. I hate to admit :o that when I got my last new blade and was examining it (carbide) I actually cut my finger :eek:. It wasn't a bad cut, just some blood and lots of pain. Another good reminder of the dangers of our hobby/profession.

Amy Leigh Baker
03-14-2008, 12:02 PM
As an amateur it amazes me how many people have had brushes with table saw blades. It's a lesson to me. Then about a month ago my great uncle (who is in his late eighties and has been WWing for 40 or 50 years) cut his thumb off at the first knuckle. He's okay and they didn't try to reattach it. He said he wouldn't miss it.

Glad your's wasn't too bad Richard.

Joe Chritz
03-14-2008, 12:23 PM
I am in a unique position of being able to use other people's examples as learning experiences.

It is a well known fact that the longer you do something repetitive the greater your chances of becoming careless. Safety equipment, whatever the field, is designed to reduce the chance a momentary lapse of sense will cause a serious injury.

At least you were using other precautions that minimized the damage in this case. Think if you didn't take the time to drop the blade.

Regards for a fast recovery.

Joe

Joe Mioux
03-14-2008, 9:14 PM
Hi Richard,

Your post is very approriately timed. I hope you heal quickly. When you are healed up please post a picture of your latest stair railing or whatever you are working on. I have always enjoyed reading and seeing your work.

Joe