PDA

View Full Version : My shop is getten green!!!!!

Larry Browning
03-18-2004, 11:23 PM
As you may or may not recall I was all pumped up about getting my new Grizzly G1023SLX and G0500 8x75 jointer a couple of weeks ago until the called to tell me the saw was on 4-6 week back order. I called them yesterday just to see if maybe they had found one in a closet somewhere or something. Of course the hadn't. But then I asked if they had the G1023SL, the 7' rails and extention table in stock and she said "Oh, yeah, we got lots of um!" I said "Sheesh! why didn't you say so before?" She said, "You didn't ask about that one." So I changed the order, but left of the extention table, think I could make my own anyway. So, I am off to Springfield bright and early Saturday morning to pick those bad boys up!!!

Larry

Dick Parr
03-19-2004, 6:42 AM
Way to go Larry.

That's how I built mine before they even had a SLX, all they had was the SL and yes you can build your own table and you already get a set of legs with the rails. I now have an extra set of legs that came with the table also. :rolleyes:

Also when you add your table, the instructions say to remove the right hand cast iron wing to install table. I couldn't see removing a good wing so I just attached my table to the end of the wing and have more surface out to the right. It sticks out past the rails, but so what as long as you have the room. :p

Have fun, I love my green machines. :D

Larry Browning
03-19-2004, 7:37 AM
Dick,
What did you build your table out of? I was thinking melamine or maybe MDF with formica on both sides.
By the way, the SLX comes with only 1 cast iron wing, so this is a better deal anyway.

Larry

Jim Becker
03-19-2004, 9:08 AM
Congratulations, Larry, on a fine saw! I too, recommend you leave the cast iron wing to the right...that's the way my Jet LT is setup and that big cast iron surface is very nice to have in front of you. For the extension table, I'll recommend you use plywood or MDF covered with plastic laminate. Melamine will work, but isn't nearly as durable...I can already see that I'll need to replace the factory Melamine extension table on my saw and my usage is pretty light.

Enjoy your new tools!

Terry Hatfield
03-19-2004, 9:21 AM
Larry,

:) :) :) :) :)

t

Byron Trantham
03-19-2004, 9:24 AM
Now that will be a nice Saturday! :D

Kelly C. Hanna
03-19-2004, 10:00 AM
You made a good decision...we can't wait to see pics and hear about the setup!

Bart Leetch
03-19-2004, 11:37 AM
Great deal Larry.

Greening & Browning go good together. Especially Grizzly Greening.

Michael Perata
03-19-2004, 11:59 AM
Dick,
What did you build your table out of? I was thinking melamine or maybe MDF with formica on both sides.
By the way, the SLX comes with only 1 cast iron wing, so this is a better deal anyway.

Larry

Larry

I used 3/4" MDF overlaid with HPL top only (Formica) and built the rails from 3/4" x 2 1/4"" Poplar.

Tyler Howell
03-19-2004, 12:09 PM
You're just teasing us Larry! we've heard this before. Pix.....;)