PDA

View Full Version : Polystyrene Job

Joe Pelonio
03-13-2008, 6:43 PM
I've just figured out good settings for a job that involves vector engraving and cutting of 1/16" High Impact Polystyrene, black. So far so good. On my 45 watt (I use color mapping) the engraving is at 85 speed 40 power, the cutting at 25 speed 80 power. The tiny holes don't all fall out right away but do poke out when touched. Each piece is about 2"x2", 64 to a sheet. Only 32 sheets to go.

Brian Robison
03-14-2008, 7:16 AM
Good morning Joe,
What frequency are you using. I try to start at 100 times the speed as a rule of thumb in plastic. That would have you at 2500. Just wondering what worked for you, every material is different.

Joe Pelonio
03-14-2008, 8:12 AM
I found that 1000 works best. Above that there's rolling of the edges.

Joe Pelonio
03-15-2008, 3:19 PM
One problem with this material and the tiny little circles, they are sticky enough to clog up the honeycomb. I may have to use hot water and wash them off (outside). :rolleyes:

Martin Reynolds
03-16-2008, 12:48 PM
I tried cutting what I thought was red transparent polystyrene a while back. The cut was nasty, with lots of burning and bubbling at the edges, and flame and black smoke. Maybe I need to look at it again with a bit less energy?

Or was this perhaps not polystyrene?

Joe Pelonio
03-16-2008, 12:59 PM
I tried cutting what I thought was red transparent polystyrene a while back. The cut was nasty, with lots of burning and bubbling at the edges, and flame and black smoke. Maybe I need to look at it again with a bit less energy?

Or was this perhaps not polystyrene?
Clear polystyrene does behave differently, but yes, soft plastics that melt at a lower temperature need less power, more speed and less frequency.

Rodne Gold
03-16-2008, 1:03 PM
Ive never seen transparent styrene in sheet form?
I use white sheetstock a lot for stencils and get a white powder all over my machine if I do a lot of them. We cut the expanded styrene (the squeaky stuff used for packaging) as well , can go quite thick too with that. Do a lot of letters for the signage industry out of it.

Joe Pelonio
03-16-2008, 1:17 PM
Ive never seen transparent styrene in sheet form?

Here's one supplier, when I used it my customer provided it so I don't know where they got it.

http://www.quinn-plastics.com/index.cfm/section/productfamily/range/2/Styrenicsthe%E2%80%98staple%E2%80%99sheetproductin ourrange.htm