PDA

View Full Version : the wood that doesnt exsist take a look (apple burl)

curtis rosche
03-13-2008, 6:30 PM
here are pics before turning the apple burl which according to you guys doesnt exsist because no ones ever seen it it looks amazing the pics dont do it justice it was so easy to turn really wet but right now its in dna to be returned tommorow cant beleive it only cost $0.16 :eek::rolleyes::D:p

curtis rosche
03-13-2008, 6:36 PM
here are more pics of it 24hours of dna should be fine right?

Keith Burns
03-13-2008, 8:05 PM
looks like it exists to me be sure to wrap it in newspaper and set it up on a shelf for four to six weeks leaving the top open before you finish turn it did you submerse it in dna for twenty four hours before you removed it if you didnt you wasted your time

Bernie Weishapl
03-13-2008, 9:48 PM
Curtis normally I leave fruit woods in the DNA about 48 hrs. I then let flash dry and wrap with brown grocery sack. I cut a opening in the bowl part. I turn upside down on a cool rack you can buy at Wal-Mart for about $3. Make sure it is in a cool dry place without much air movement. Let it dry for 3 to 4 weeks and return to the lathe.

Joe Chritz
03-13-2008, 10:25 PM
Nice looking wood.

I have three blocks of that non existent wood that I have had for a few years. Bought it for some knife handle projects. Spalted apple burl. Probably will end up being a few pens or maybe 1/2 a chess set.

Can't wait to see the finished project.

Joe

David Wilhelm
03-14-2008, 12:45 AM
Curtis, how does generally doesn't and are not common end up meaning doesn't exists? Just because one member gives you his .02 don't blanket the board he spoke the truth. you have a rare burl compared to wild cherry. you'll find 1000 cherry burls to 1 apple most apples will die rather than heal and build the burl. If you can find that one you can post it as spalted apple burl that doesn't exsist. I have two. Nice burl!!

curtis rosche
03-14-2008, 10:30 AM
for being rare there sure is a lot of it the orchard i got it from is huge and it was on every tree actually like 2-6 per tree

Nathan Hawkes
03-14-2008, 6:29 PM
If there are that many there, it sounds like they are doing a LOT of grafting onto existing trees, like how people graft english walnut onto black walnut rootstock. I've heard you can have more than one type of apple growing on the same tree, but I haven't seen it in person.

David Wilhelm
03-14-2008, 8:35 PM
Orchards are tree gardens. You prun your trees to keep them open in the center most of the time. This pruning is more than likey the cause of the burls/blisters you have encounterd. Being as there is no exact reason for burls, as you'll find if you do a common search for burl info, what I find as my thinking for the cause for 90% of the burls I find is self healing. If you opend the bark/sap all the way around a tree it will soon be dead. partial damage to a trees bark and core is often healed over with a series of layers which form these burls and blisters. Foreign objects will also cause such a reaction. I have a maple root sucker 6 inches in diameter that has a burl type growth on it just about the size of a 25 inch TV. Wild Cherrys around here are hit pretty hard with nest of tent catapillers. and they will cause damage that will start burls on limbs and crotches. I have also seen these in crab apple trees but would think orchards would spray to keep them out.. Wind damage can also get teh ball rolling. Dont forget about the deer as well. Just be happy you have these to turn.

David Wilhelm
03-14-2008, 8:42 PM
Nathan, you sure can. I had a good neighbor who is gone now who had a pear limb grafted on one of his apple trees. My grandfather was also good at that stuff. both of them raised bees and they used bee wax and I think cotton twin soak in the wax. Can't remember what the sap level needed to be when they grafted but i'd think low. They would use a sharp prunning saw and cut the limbs and a sharp angle wrap it with the twin then cover with was and I think a cheese cloth.

Ralph Lindberg
03-14-2008, 9:52 PM
I'm with you, not only does apple burl exist, it's not as rare as some might have you believe.
Like you, I have not a small amount. But I have learned a few things others don't know as a result.
Apple burl is more common in old, large trees. Since few commercial orchards plant either standard trees, or allow them to grow old, burl tends to be rare.
I, personally, have 4 (remaining) Apple trees that are over 70 years old. With the neighbors we have many more. There is burl all through these trees. Probably as a result of the age and pruning.
Unfortunately, these trees are too old and starting to die, we lost two (in the neighbor, an old orchard) last year alone. I expect, in a few more years to lose two more. The 2nd two are still looking healthy, but I am only hopeful they will last for years to come.