PDA

View Full Version : DC for Lathe

Robert foster
03-13-2008, 5:15 PM
How do you handle dust and chips from the lathe? Pix would be appreciated.
Thanks
Bob

Joe Chritz
03-13-2008, 5:17 PM
A big gulp might work too.

Joe

Bernie Weishapl
03-13-2008, 6:21 PM
Robert don't worry about the chips. Those long curlies just plug up the machine. Now dust I have a dust hood attached to the lathe for sanding. It takes care of all the dust problems. Here are some pic's. The first 2 are of the Nova, second is my Rikon and third is the C-man. They work really well for dust which is mainly what I am after. A snow shovel does the chips.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-13-2008, 7:04 PM
It's my understanding....wet curlies would just plug up the machine. I intend to use mine only when sanding on the lahe.

Jim Becker
03-13-2008, 7:27 PM
The most effective use of a DC with the lathe is when sanding. During normal cutting, chips do not go in any one direction and most of them head toward the operator. It's nearly impossible to use a dust collector to handle even a small part of that. A shower curtain to help contain the chips and the aforementioned broom and dustpan (or a floor sweep if you have a cyclone...never with a single stage DC) are pretty much "state of the art"!

Keith Burns
03-13-2008, 7:58 PM
As others have said trying to catch the chips is a waste of time. I have mine piped into my system overhead. It is mounted on an adjustable arm hanging from ceiling and can be adjusted to close to wherever it is needed.