PDA

View Full Version : Hawaiian Mango Platter

George Guadiane
03-13-2008, 1:06 PM
The LOML and I plan to migrate to Hawaii in a year or two, we love it and have a lot of friends there.
I have collected a fair amount of wood from there, this is one part of a rather large plank I got on one of my last trips.
I am told that the boards sat outside for years (lucky me).
I made this as a gift for our last (most recent) Anniversary - last month (better late than never?)
Height: 1 3/4 inches
Diameter: 14 inches
Finish: VanAqua 480 polyurethane
As Always, All Questions, Comments and/or Critiques Welcome!

Steve Schlumpf
03-13-2008, 1:22 PM
George - beautiful platter! Amazing color and curl! I'm sure your wife loves it!

Congrats on your upcoming move! Sounds like it would be a lot of fun!

Ben Gastfriend
03-13-2008, 4:36 PM
You did that beautiful wood justice! Looks like a great platter, and happy anniversary!

Bernie Weishapl
03-13-2008, 6:22 PM
Beautiful wood and platter. That wood is really awesome. Well done. Happy Anniversery.

Brian McInturff
03-13-2008, 7:10 PM
That gets a Big WOW!!:eek::eek:!!
Now that's got some beautiful color to it. Finish is top notch too! Great Job!

Oh, and Happy anniversary to the 2 of you.:D

Jim Becker
03-13-2008, 7:25 PM
That's a wonderful piece, George. Bravo!

Curt Fuller
03-13-2008, 7:29 PM
I think Hawaii comes as close to woodturning paradise as you can get. They have so much beautiful wood to work with and there are so many incredible turners. That's a fantastic piece of wood and work!

Brent Pauba
03-13-2008, 7:51 PM
What a great form, any chance we could get a profile shot? You have done a great job at showcasing the natural beauty of the wood!

George Guadiane
03-13-2008, 9:13 PM
What a great form, any chance we could get a profile shot? You have done a great job at showcasing the natural beauty of the wood!
The photo isn't great, but it shows the profile:

Allen Neighbors
03-13-2008, 9:19 PM
Well done, all the way around, George. Must be nice... migrating... :D
Good trip!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-13-2008, 9:21 PM
Another George! Nicely done sir!........... as we've come to expect from you!

Paul Engle
03-13-2008, 9:21 PM
work George, I have some friends on the big Island and they send me stuff every now and then, I are very jealous of you and am happy for you and yours to live over there. It really is a jewel in the pacific and your work will be welcome as the caliber of it is very high!!!!

Thomas Canfield
03-13-2008, 9:45 PM
George,

That is a pretty piece and must have presented some problem bring back the blank. Don't know where in Hawaii you are thinking about, but I just returned from a visit to the Big Island and there some excellent turners up on the Northern ends. I went to wood shows at both Kawaihae and Hilo and met some of the turners showing at the Hilo show. Excellent work. The wood they have makes you drool, especially the Norfolk Island Pine and Koa, but then there are about 100 species. I shipped back wood in flat rate boxes , and overloaded the suitcases. I see now that they have a larger flat rate box coming out (12" x 12" x 6" for $12.95 or something like that) and it would have been helpful. It was really worth the trip to see the gallery quality pieces and get some inspiration. Good thing my wife is supportive, and she is looking at fabric and quilting items while I am looking for wood.

George Guadiane
03-13-2008, 10:33 PM
George,

That is a pretty piece and must have presented some problem bring back the blank. Don't know where in Hawaii you are thinking about, but I just returned from a visit to the Big Island and there some excellent turners up on the Northern ends. I went to wood shows at both Kawaihae and Hilo and met some of the turners showing at the Hilo show. Excellent work. The wood they have makes you drool, especially the Norfolk Island Pine and Koa, but then there are about 100 species. I shipped back wood in flat rate boxes , and overloaded the suitcases. I see now that they have a larger flat rate box coming out (12" x 12" x 6" for $12.95 or something like that) and it would have been helpful. It was really worth the trip to see the gallery quality pieces and get some inspiration. Good thing my wife is supportive, and she is looking at fabric and quilting items while I am looking for wood.
I used to fly a great deal, earned lots of frequent flier miles and special privileges. One of those was being allowed to carry extra weight, so when the 4 of us went over, we had the chance to bring back a lot... I also shipped a good quantity back as well. At the prices I was paying, it was still MUCH cheaper for excellent quality wood than what I could get anywhere else.
On my last trip there, I visited every galley on Oahu, at least a couple of times and yes, there are a LOT of really great turners in Hawaii. They seem as friendly and helpful there as they are here on the mainland.
Having a supportive wife is always a big benefit, mine sure helps me.
I'm not sure, but I think that new box is for military, not for general use... If it IS, figure to see LOTS of wood flying all over the country!

Brent Pauba
03-13-2008, 11:02 PM
Ah, I like it even more! I really enjoy the aggressive curves on outer walls of bowls, nicely done.

Tom Sherman
03-14-2008, 3:48 AM
Excellent wood George and you have done a wonderful job.

Scott Hubl
03-14-2008, 5:58 AM
Very nice.

Finish looks great as well as the wood.

steven carter
03-14-2008, 7:30 AM
Done like a true kamaaina. It is beautiful.

Don Orr
03-14-2008, 7:50 AM
Nice work George and Happy Anniversary !

Scott Lux
03-14-2008, 8:20 AM
The piece is great, but the location is all wrong. That would look far better in my house ;)