PDA

View Full Version : Need opinion on 6" jointer

Shawn Honeychurch
03-13-2008, 11:50 AM
Hi All;

I am currently a hobbyist woodworker, but my goal is to retire into woodworking some day. :D

I am setting up a small shop and have come to the jointer question. I really cannot afford either money or space wise to get an 8" jointer, so have decided to get a 6" and upgrade later when I can justify it.

My main question is there are a number of 6" jointer's available ranging from $479.00 (Delta JT360) to $689.00 (Delta X5 or a number of General models) easily purchasable up here on the island. I have heard good things about all of these, so is the extra $200 really going to get me a significantly better jointer, or would I be better off using the $200 for something else?

Would the Delta JT360 and a spiral cutter head be better than the Delta X5 as is?

Thanks

Pat Germain
03-13-2008, 12:40 PM
I'll state up front I'm not an expert, but I did a lot of jointer research last summer and I'll share my impressions based on that research.

- A Grizzly or Shop Fox jointer will probably give you the best value. I have a Shop Fox jointer and I'm very happy with it

- Delta jointers are top-notch, but the Grizzly and Shop Fox jointers are pretty much Delta clones

- I've heard many good things about General, but I've never actually seen a General jointer, let alone used one

- I've read many glowing reports about spiral cutter heads. If you can spring for such an equipped machine from the factory, it's probably a good idea. If not, don't sweat it. You can always upgrade later and a standard head will still serve you well, just not quite as well as a spiral head.

Lance Norris
03-13-2008, 12:52 PM
Consider the Jet or Grizzly line of jointers. I have a Jet JJ6cs and have been very happy with it. I wont buy another piece of Delta equipment ever again. As Delta switches to Asian manufacturing, they have serious problems with QC. Personally, I have had things welded wrong, parts not installed, wrong hardware packs and electrical problems. This is all on new Delta products. Deltas more expensive equipment is still good, but if you are trying to save some money, stay away from the cheap Delta line of tools. My $.02

Izzy Camire
03-13-2008, 12:57 PM
I have had the Delta X5 for 2 years. It works well and I have had no problems with it. You may want to watch to see if they do a rebate program in the spring. When I bought mine there was a store discount plus the rebate program and I got it for $369.

Peter Quinn
03-13-2008, 1:04 PM
I started out my home shop with a general 6" long bed jointer, 80-100L. Fine machine in the 6" weight class. Easy to set up, very flat tables, pretty good weight/power for a 6". Stays accurate in use. Also had some of the longest beds available at the time I purchased it. I bought it almost 5 years ago, don't know if standards have changed. A used DJ-20 is now my primary jointer but I kept the general for rabbiting and tapering setups. I still like it.

I haven't used a delta that was less than 15 years old, so I can't speak about the x-5, but I can tell you the old ones lasted at least 15 years!

I personally wouldn't waste my money on a 6" jointer with a spiral head if you are using this as a leap frog to an 8". Might be better to spend less on the 6" now to get going and learn how to use a jointer, then start saving for an 8" or 10" with the spiral head. The spiral head IMHO is just not that much better for the expense, meaning unless you work a lot of very hard exotics or highly figured stuff you'll never use its potential. Its nice to learn how to change straight knives at some point too, carbide inserts are just too easy!

Either way one of the light weight 6" models will relegate you to light weight work and might quickly become an excercise in frustration. Stick to the better 6" jointers with longer beds and more mass to get the real jointer experience and performance.

Pat Germain
03-13-2008, 1:07 PM
You may want to watch to see if they do a rebate program in the spring. When I bought mine there was a store discount plus the rebate program and I got it for $369.

I was at my local Woodcraft on Tuesday. While I was admiring the new Unisaw X5 on the floor, I saw a flier advertizing rebates on that saw as well as jointers. The jointer rebate was higher than the Unisaw rebate! Check it out. It might be worthwhile!

Shawn Honeychurch
03-13-2008, 1:50 PM
Hmm;

Lots of info here.

As the most affordable 8" jointer around here goes for over $1000.00 that is not an option, not to mention the weight issue.

So a 6" jointer it shall be, I am tempted to go for the Delta JT 360 as I am very new to woodworking, and it sounds like it would serve my needs for the foreseeable future. Plus that would ease the budget to also get a planner.

I was going to get the 6" Rigid as the local HD is great for service, but they are no longer making it, and are not planning to have a replacement.

There is no local distributor for Grizzly or Shopfox around here so they are out. There is a local distributor for Steel City, but from what I have found they are very pricey, with there 6" jointers being close to $1000.00.

Any other brand / model suggestions?

Adam Cavaliere
03-13-2008, 2:17 PM
I honestly was in your position about 1 week ago. I searched high and low on Craiglist looking for a cheaper used jointer. I was considering pretty much all of the brands you have mentioned. I had just purchased a Steel City Table Saw and was impressed with it enough to go after their Jointer.

It is less than a week old, but I am loving it! If you purchase before March 31st there is a $100 rebate that brings it down to $600.

It is worth a look as Woodcraft is a distributer of theirs.

BTW - I decided on the Steel City over the Rikon which was on sale because every woodworker I spoke with said that if I wasn't going to get an 8" jointer to at least get one with a longer bed. After speaking with the guys at woodcraft, they confirmed this.

David Parker
03-13-2008, 2:22 PM
Hi Shawn,

I'm just now entering semi-retirement and am taking up woodworking as a new hobby (something I've always wanted to try). I'm in the process of outfitting a small 12x15 basement shop. At first I had no plans for a planer or jointer, however after taking a few woodworking courses at my local Woodcraft store, I realize that I'd like the flexibility that these tools could provide. To that end I bought the DeWalt 735 planer.

After researching, I find that there is no real standout among 6 inch jointers. The 2002 review by Fine Woodworking gave some good pointers as to what to look for. For me, it's mostly a matter of availability, price, and service. I've finally decided to go with the Rikon on sale at Woodcraft for $400, plus they give you a free additional set of knives. It has a lot of nice features and I can pick it up locally. From what I've been reading in these posts, Rikon also has a reputation for great customer service. I'm also getting their 14 inch bandsaw when it comes in from backorder.

I don't want to spend a lot on a jointer right now. If I find I end up using it a lot and feel I need something bigger, then I'll upgrade. For now, this one will let me forgo using a router table as a jointer. Good luck with your purchase.

Dave

Pat Germain
03-13-2008, 2:37 PM
Shawn, where exactly are you? If you're in the CONUS, Grizzly will deliver right to your shop.

Rod Sheridan
03-13-2008, 2:39 PM
The smallest General jointer is an 8 inch model, with a price of aproximately $2,500.

I believe the General would be outside the range of what the originator set as an upper cost.

I've used the 6 inch GI long bed jointer, it worked very well, and the GI equipment was often considered the best of the made in Taiwan machinery.

I've also used the Delta and King Industrial jointers, they worked well, although the fit and finish wasn't as nice as the GI machine.

A used jointer would be a good candidate, especialy if you can try it out before purchasing.

jason lambert
03-13-2008, 3:12 PM
I bought the Jet 6" and love it. The reasons I bought it is it was cheap well built and the bed on it I could get shorter (they make two models one with a longer bed and a shorter one) I am like you tight for space so this made the most sense. There where nicer joiners out there in build quality at 2 to 3 x the price but this thing is a tank and once set up will never die.

Shawn Honeychurch
03-13-2008, 3:26 PM
Heh, lots to reply to you, folks are awesome.

As I am on Vancouver Island, in BC, Canada i have some limitations.

I was interested in the Rikon, but they do not have any Canadian Distributors, and I cannot find anyone who will ship one to me for less than $300.00 in shipping costs.

I checked on woodcraft as they do have very good shipping rates, but they do not list any Steel City jointer's, mind you we have a local place that carries Steel City so I will go and chat with them on Saturday.

Another local place carries 3 different 6" General International jointer's so I should go and take a look at them as well.

I had already been giving very serious consideration to the Dewalt 735, although I am not overly happy that infeed and outfee tables and dust chute will add an additional $180.00 to the $550.00 cost. Making for a total of $730.00. Currently the Rigid R4330 is topping my list at $500.00 everything included.

Shawn Honeychurch
03-13-2008, 3:29 PM
I bought the Jet 6" and love it. The reasons I bought it is it was cheap well built and the bed on it I could get shorter (they make two models one with a longer bed and a shorter one) I am like you tight for space so this made the most sense. There where nicer joiners out there in build quality at 2 to 3 x the price but this thing is a tank and once set up will never die.

I assume you got the Jet JJ-6CS?

Matt Wolboldt
03-13-2008, 3:35 PM
When I was first starting out about a year ago, I purchased the JT360. By the time I got it unpacked the and I started to assemble it, it was more trouble than it was worth. I returned it and picked up the Delta X5 jointer. It's worked well at making curves. Turns out that the outfeed table couldn't be made to be coplanar with the infeed. I contacted Delta and they sent me out another head. Since then I haven't had any problems with it. If I could do it again, I would get a 8" jointer or at least a 6" with longer beds, since jointing longer boards was less than a treat. Hope this helps

Shawn Honeychurch
03-14-2008, 11:33 AM
Well this is a real bummer.

I cannot get Grizzly, Rikon or Sunhill in Canada, all of them say they have no Canadian distributors, and do not sell to Canada, and no one will ship either.

Anyone know of a good tools place in the Seattle area, that caries Rikon and Grizzly tools (Jointers)?

Lance Norris
03-14-2008, 11:37 AM
Grizzly is internet based only. There are no stores that sell Grizzly.

Shawn Honeychurch
03-14-2008, 11:47 AM
Grizzly is internet based only. There are no stores that sell Grizzly.

Well, that's it for them, as they do not sell to Canada. Nuts. :(

Gary Kvasnicka
03-14-2008, 11:48 AM
Shawn,

Grizzly has three showrooms, your nearest is in Bellingham,WA http://www.grizzly.com/showroom_wa.aspx

Shawn Honeychurch
03-14-2008, 12:21 PM
Thanks Gary;

That might be useful, I would have no objection taking a road trip to Bellingham, but I would be leary of any warranty issue. If something broke I would either have to drive back down again or pay shipping which could pricey.

Wayne Cannon
03-15-2008, 6:27 PM
Bed length is a very significant factor for a 6" jointer, in my opinion. 6" jointers are just as capable as wider jointers for edge jointing, except that their short beds limit the length you can mill practically. Powermatic's 6" jointer has a significantly longer bed than most others, for example.

David Tiell
03-15-2008, 7:34 PM
Shawn,
There is a company on ebay that sells Shop Fox machines, and many of their machines come with free shipping. It says they do not ship to Canada, but if you're willing to drive to the States to pick it up, you can have it shipped to a freight terminal on this side and pick it up. Here is the number to one of their 8" jointer auctions (310030163265), but if you go to their store, you'll see they have several 6" jointer models available also. Not sure how the warranty would work up there if you should need it though.

Dave

Shawn Honeychurch
03-17-2008, 1:16 PM
Thanks for the info David;

I will take a look at those folks. That might be an option as I have certainly heard good things about Shop Fox tools.