PDA

View Full Version : Will Dirty DNA Stain My New Projects

Fred Krueger
03-13-2008, 9:47 AM
I'm very new to the DNA process. My first use was for a small East Indian Rosewood bowl. I let it soak for about a week. I know that's much longer than it needed, but I was busy on other stuff. Anyway, the two gallons of DNA is now dark black. I'm planning on roughing out a bowl tomorrow out of beautiful birds eye maple. Should I worry the dirty DNA will stain the maple?

Maybe I should have two buckets of the stuff, one dark and one light. Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

steven carter
03-13-2008, 9:57 AM
Fred,

I have been doing the DNA process for over a year with the same DNA, I just add more every once in a while. It is very dark after doing a lot of walnut. I just did some maple and it did not change the color at all. I don't know why this is, I just accept it and go merrily on my way.

Barry Elder
03-13-2008, 10:25 AM
No! Used DNA for many pieces of Seagrape which turned the DNA orange-red but did not affect maple or oak or anything else.

Bernie Weishapl
03-13-2008, 12:01 PM
Nope no bother at all. I have some 2 yrs old that I just add to and have had white ash in it with no problem.

Mike Vickery
03-13-2008, 12:05 PM
I don't use DNA much any more but did for quite a while. Mesquite and Acacia seem to let off a lot of color in the DNA. I have had pieces of box elder burl that the DNA darkened slighlty. It actaually was quite nice since it highlighed the burl figure. It did effect the color though.

Fred Krueger
03-13-2008, 12:11 PM
Well, I guess that means I'll try it. I'll make sure to set aside a piece of the scrap to see if I can see any color difference.

Thank you all for your help.

Toney Robertson
03-13-2008, 12:18 PM
If the DNA leaches out so much color does it affect the intensity of dark colors like walnut?

I would hate to do anything to take away that dark brown/black color.

Toney

Ben Gastfriend
03-13-2008, 4:38 PM
The color that comes out of dark wood is just from the excess wood dust, it's not really leeching the pigment out. If it's really dark, and you put a lighter colored wood in, a very thin layer of brown may accumulate on the bowl, but you'll turn it away during your finishing turning.

Don't let that turn you away from DNA though! I just started using it, and it's a process that works great... so much better than anything else.

Reed Gray
03-14-2008, 11:05 AM
I use the LDD method (liquid dishwashing detergent) and turn to final thickness (1/4 inch). I used to use the DNA. On these pieces, it does add color to the wood, but mostly on the surface. Some times so deep that it won't sand out, but if you turn thick and return, then most of it should come out. I did try filtering out the color, and it didn't work so I would suppose the color isn't suspended, but disolved into the soaking material. I did have some light maple and apple pieces in some soap that had a lot of black walnut in it before, and it definatly changed the colors.
robo hippy