PDA

View Full Version : What would you do in my situation.

Kevin Blunt
03-13-2008, 9:36 AM
Hello,

I currently own a King Industrial 17" Bandsaw that I am happy with. I bought the saw about one year ago and at the time it was being built with cast aluminum wheels. It is very balanced when it runs now with next to no vibration (Just enough to know it is running). Since I bought the saw, they have now started making it with the Cast iron wheels which I understand is much better and would have liked in the first place but. I spoke with King customer service in Quebec and thay have told me that I can purchase the set of cast iron wheels for 165.00 cdn. I am leaning towards doing this but I am not sure if it will improve the performance of my saw. If you could upgrade you bandsaw wheels in the name of improving resaw performance etc etc. for $165, would you. Any info regarding cast aluminum wheels versus Cast iron wheels would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for you help. My saw is almost identical to this one but is made by a canadian company. http://www.woodstockint.com/Products/W1707/

Kevin

Lee DeRaud
03-13-2008, 9:44 AM
Words to live by:
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Worst case, it sounds like you'll be able to get the CI wheels later if you turns out you need them.
(The key word in that sentence was "need".)

Terry Beadle
03-13-2008, 9:45 AM
I think this comes under the rule if it ain't broke don't fix it. If your bandsaw is running smoothely or even just a little rough but cuts well, doesn't sling blades, can resaw over 8 inches etc. Don't mess with it. This is your pursuit of excellence running past the finish line a bit I think.

We all want the very best tools because it can lead to excellent work. However a master uses the tools as given and I've heard it said, can make a purse out of a sow's ear. Hand a $100 gitar to Steve Ray Vaughn ( while he was alive ) and he could make that thing sing. Your band saw hasn't a problem does it? I think I'd put my $165 in the best blades you can buy because they can make even a marginal bandsaw work wonders.

Mike Cutler
03-13-2008, 9:52 AM
Theoretically the increased weight of cast wheels versus aluminum wheels would give you more rotational mass, which in turn should be of more benefit during operation.

But,,,,,,,, and a very big "BUT"! If that bandsaw is doing what you need it to do, and doing it well. Leave it alone. My.02 fwiw.;)

Brad Townsend
03-13-2008, 10:30 AM
Conventional wisdom is that, everything else being equal, cast iron wheels are "better", but their decision to change to cast iron was probably driven more by marketing considerations than any significant deficiency in the aluminum ones. Lot's of cliches apply here. If it performs well for you, the one I would use is "Don't mess with success".:D For $165, you could probably get a premium carbide-tipped blade, which would impact your cutting much more than cast iron wheels.

Loren Hedahl
03-13-2008, 1:39 PM
Why not just go for it!

You don't have to justify every purchase! If you want it, isn't that reason enough?

You also don't need or even want an consensus on every purchase decision you are about to make. Those who give you free advise will almost always advise you to do nothing. It is the safest position for them to take.

Whether it is $165 or $1,650,000, the amount is just a number. You can't take it with you.

So, here's my advise . . . . . . if spending $165 on a set of new bandsaw wheels to replace existing wheels that are perfectly functional seems completely affordable and rational, I would advise instead to sell the bandsaw and commission someone else to make the wood products you desire.

It's kinda like ordering Japanese blowfish in a Tokyo restaurant. You are stupid if you do, and you are stupid if you don't.

Kevin Blunt
03-13-2008, 4:02 PM
Thanks for the replies so far folks. So Far I understand and agree with the general consensus.

Let me rephrase the original question. What advantages of cast iron wheels over the cast aluminum wheels would I be able to notice from the saw with each set of wheels on it. I guess really, the money isn't the issue. All things considered, if the saw would perform better with cast iron wheels on it than to me, it is worth it (kinda like an aftermarket upgrade). I am just not sure where and if I would see any discernable difference between wheel sets. Could anyone confirm this. Sorry to drag this out.

Kevin

Patrick Mullen
03-13-2008, 6:27 PM
The biggest advantage to cast iron wheels is for resawing thick hardwoods. Try cutting an eight or ten inch board and see how it handles.
Not sure I'd swap wheels, but if I were buying new, they would definately be cast iron.
Pat

Lee DeRaud
03-13-2008, 7:26 PM
Theoretically the increased weight of cast wheels versus aluminum wheels would give you more rotational mass, which in turn should be of more benefit during operation.I suspect that effect is most important if the motor is right on the edge of being underpowered for whatever you're cutting, where the flywheel effect can let it ride out intermittent bogging.

What kind/size motor is on this saw?

Kevin Blunt
03-13-2008, 9:07 PM
I suspect that effect is most important if the motor is right on the edge of being underpowered for whatever you're cutting, where the flywheel effect can let it ride out intermittent bogging.

What kind/size motor is on this saw?

Lee,

This is my saw.

http://www.kingcanada.com/Products.htm?CD=104&ID=926

Kevin

Peter Quinn
03-13-2008, 9:26 PM
If your happy with your bandsaw, leave it alone. If your not happy with it start saving for a new one.

My car is 4500# with a 340HP hemi riding on..you guessed it..aluminum wheels! Aluminum has no problem with strength or balance. If you really nead that little bit of stored energy and mass the iron wheels may add you might be a candidate for a 36" Tanewitz!