PDA

View Full Version : Mini Lathe Stand

Matt Meiser
03-18-2004, 5:56 PM
I have the Jet Mini lathe with the extension bed. Right now, I have it bolted to a piece of 2x10 and used it by clamping it to my bench. I've reserved a dedicated space for it in my new shop, but need a stand. I thought about Jet stand, but with the extension it will run in the $200 range. I don't really want a cabinet base for it--I'd rather let most of the debris fall to the floor so I can sweep it to the nearby floor sweep.

I found this rather unusual design on the web, but the more I think about it the more I like it. Any thoughts?

http://www.kestrelcreek.com/Articles/Mini_lathe_stand.htm

Jim Becker
03-18-2004, 6:20 PM
That's a very kewel design, Matt, and it certainly has a little bit of mass! As long as those cross pieces are stiff, it should do the job very nicely. I can't imagine it's expensive to build, either.

Steven Wilson
03-18-2004, 9:46 PM
I see you found my friend Steve's stand, quite effective. I went a different route with mine. I wanted drawers near by for storing pen supplies, chucks, faceplates, and tools so I built the following.

Don Abele
03-18-2004, 10:35 PM
Steven, what are those wheels attached to the cabinet? I have a real heavy miter saw cabinet that I'd like to put them on. You have any more info on them.

Matt, sorry for hijacking your thread. Since I just used a lathe for the first time this past weekend at a turn-a-thon, I can't help on your question. Though, as Jim said, the cinderblock stand looks cheap, easy, and HEAVY.

Steven Wilson
03-19-2004, 1:18 AM
The wheels are from Woodcraft and they aren't very good, but atleast they're functional.

Stefan Antwarg
03-19-2004, 3:15 PM
I used to have my midi-lathe wedged inside of 2 Fischer sawhorses. If you are familiar with those sawhorses, the top opens and closes with a crank. I mounted my lathe to a 1x10. Then attached a 2x4 along the center. Then opened the sawhorses and placed the 2x4 (which is firmly attached to the lathe) in the opening. Then cranked it tight. It worked fine. Had I decided to stick with the midi, I may have made a more heavy duty table. I can take some photos if this really interests you.

Stefan

Tyler Howell
03-19-2004, 3:16 PM
The wheels are from Woodcraft and they aren't very good, but atleast they're functional.

Steve I think when that MM is up and running you should host the metro area wood butcher fest. An electronic shop tour is the least you can do. You've been holding back on us buddy. There's a lot you can be teaching us rookies.

Thanks for sharing;)

John Piwaron
03-19-2004, 5:36 PM
I see you found my friend Steve's stand, quite effective. I went a different route with mine. I wanted drawers near by for storing pen supplies, chucks, faceplates, and tools so I built the following.

That's an extremely nice lathe stand, and exactly what I think a stand should be - a place to locate the tool, while simultaneously providing a home for all the accessories related to that tool.