PDA

View Full Version : New jointer or combo machine...long

Josh Rudolph
03-13-2008, 4:57 AM
Ok guys and gals...here's my predicament.

I currently have a 6" jointer which served me well for the past 5 years. I have a lunchbox planer (single speed) and a 15" heavier duty (about 20 years old - off shore, so I am not sure about getting spare parts).

I have a couple hundred board feet of Maple, Cherry and Walnut I had cut from trees on the families properties. Some of the maples are 20"+ with majority of all boards being in the 7-9" range.

I know I can rip the boards, joint, plane, rip, glue back together, but I really do not want to do that with all of this lumber that I will be using over the next couple years.

I am trying to decide whether to go with the Grizzly G0609 12" parallelogram jointer or the G0633 12" Jointer/Planer Combo machine.

G0609 - 1,000+ lbs, 3HP, 83.5" table length
G0633 - 600+lbs, 5HP, 59.875" table length

When I do my projects, I joint a face, joint an edge square to the face, plane, then rip to square. I do all of my stock at once (at least until I screw up a piece...haha).

So changeover does not bother me.

Space really is not an issue as I am settling into my new shop and have a decent bit of room (32'x28'). However, we all know our shops shrink with time.

With that I like the weight of the standalone. However I like the size of the combo. Bed length does not bother me as I cut my stuff down before milling...and I feel confident I can joint a longer board if needed.

I am trying to keep this under $2K and this be a machine I will likely never get rid of. I have a baby (first) on the way (gloat) and know I better get this machine before he arrives or it may be a while before I get another chance.

One day I am set on the combo, then change my mind to the jointer the next.

Which route would you go? And why?

Thanks for your time and inputs.

PS...I have ruled out the JET combo machine as I do not like the fence and the lighter weight.

Don Abele
03-13-2008, 8:52 AM
Josh, I'm kind of in the same boat as you and as you may have read, I've been asking a lot of questions about the combo units.

I STILL have not decided on whether I want a combo unit or dedicated jointer and planer separates. Don't know about which combo either - I like both the Jet and Griz (the others: Hammer, Felder, Laguna are just too expensive regardless of quality/build/name/etc).

I'd go with the separates in a heart beat, except for the weight issue of the jointer. I'm in the Navy and move every three years and there's a big difference in moving 1000# and 600#! Also the fact that Griz does not recommend putting the jointer on a mobile base (which I would do anyway).

I have about two or three more weeks before I have to decide. Hopefully someone will post more opinions here that'll help us both.

Be well,

Doc

Brad Shipton
03-13-2008, 11:52 AM
Combination machines are more cost effective, but as with everything there are trade offs. Most of the hobbiest style versions use a single column mechanism to raise/lower the planer table and my Hammer flexes every so slightly (good ol calipers). I plan to upgrade to a Felder AD741 in the future. You didnt mention what hp your lunchbox is, but if it has problem with larger stock and you have to fight with it, that would affect the decision. I know mine knows when it is working 12" wide stock and it is 4hp. If you are happy with your lunchbox, or willing to wait to replace it, the dedicated machines will likely be the better option, if not, the added hp the combo will be beneficial. Dust collection? Does your lunchbox have a good port for this? Likely not, so that will be better with the combo. Knives? Do you ever think you might want to change over to a tersa or shellix head? If so, combo better.

If space or cost are not problems, personally I think dedicated machines are more convienient and do not have any trade offs. Each is designed for a specific task. Look at industrial models, do you see any combos? Martin sure does not offer any.

Good luck

Joe Jensen
03-13-2008, 12:10 PM
Brad, tough decision. A big planer is really nice, and IMHO a big upgrade from a lunchbox planer. But, I am drawn to a 12" jointer upgrade to get longer beds. My 8" powermatic is like 66" and getting over 80" feels like a big upgrade to me. I do a fair amount of 8' and longer stock on my jointer and the extra bed length would be awesome.

You've already put the changeover question to bed. I'd say the next thing to consider is how long are the boards you joint. If you get the combo, that will be the machine you use for quite a while. If you get the jointer, I suspect you'll be looking for a planer upgrade soon...joe

Eddie Darby
03-13-2008, 12:54 PM
The big selling point of the combo machines is space saving. The Grizzly combo doesn't save a whole lot of space.
The other big selling point is that if you have a helix cutter-head then you only need one to do both jobs.

If space is a luxury for you right now, then I think you can afford to forgo the space saving for now.

Curt Harms
03-13-2008, 6:15 PM
......If space or cost are not problems, personally I think dedicated machines are more convienient and do not have any trade offs. Each is designed for a specific task. Look at industrial models, do you see any combos? Martin sure does not offer any.

Good luck

There's a difference between processing 1000 bd. ft. per day and 1000 bd. ft per year. If You have the need, room and budget for a 12" jointer and 12"+ planer that's the way to go. I don't have any of the above and am happy with my Jet Jointer/Planer. Would I be happy with any combo if I had a 2 or 3 kitchen per week shop? Doubt it.;)

Josh Rudolph
03-13-2008, 8:00 PM
Considering the plan of upgrading to a shelix head when the budget permits. I am really leaning towards the combo. I only have to buy 1 shelix head and have it for 2 functions.

I don't have 2 machines, which will buy some room...

The 5HP motor should do well with about anything I could throw at it.

Thanks for all of your opinions and inputs. It is appreciated.