PDA

View Full Version : A few of my latest signs

Keith Outten
03-13-2008, 3:06 AM
Here are a few pictures of signs I have been making lately for our new Library at CNU. The latest count on the Corian door signs is 120 and still climbing as our Staff is still making changes in room assignments. The 7" tall chisel letters were CNC machined from 3/4" thick Trupan sheet and painted, I have installed about 110 letters so far.

It's spring break at CNU right now so we are trying to take advantage of the time to get several maintenance jobs done while our students are gone. I installed four bathroom door signs yesterday that were mounted on masonry walls, had to use a hammer drill that was so loud it couldn't be done when the Library was open :)

Keith Outten
03-13-2008, 3:12 AM
Here is a picture of the 72" brass medallion being installed that Brady Watson machined for us on his ShopBot that is the centerpiece in the marble floor in the rotunda area and a second picture of the upper level. I should have the final pictures tomorrow of the finished medallion installation, the marble pieces in the center of the medallion were installed yesterday.

I just finished machining two custom cover plates that trim the exterior lights that flood the entrance columns. These fit on top of some precast concrete bases in the front of the building. The cover plates are made from Corian and they need to be heated and bent to fit the contour of the precast before I can install them.

Joe Pelonio
03-13-2008, 7:02 AM
Beautiful sign work, but also an amazing building. Certainly a big difference from the sterile box universities I'm used to seeing.

On the Corian signs are you putting screws through them?

Glenn Clabo
03-13-2008, 7:13 AM
Keith,
Great work! I've been to CNU a few times for softball/baseball tournments way back when the kids were in HS. Man...that is some improvement.

Mike Null
03-13-2008, 7:23 AM
Keith

Thanks for the pics. Beautiful work and building. Looks like money well spent for the future.

Keith Outten
03-13-2008, 7:51 AM
I machine two keyholes on the back of each Corian door sign and hang them with screws.

If you haven't been to CNU in the last five years you wouldn't even recognize the University. Our construction program is about 600 million dollars completed with at least that much more to go over the next ten years. All of the new buildings are Jeffersonian architectural design, absolutely beautiful. Our students enjoy living in the best residence halls you have ever seen, that alone attracts a lot of interest.

Having our own sign shop allows us to produce high end signs at a fraction of the cost. The savngs in the first three buildings have paid for all of our new equipment we had to purchase to setup the new shop.

Brian Robison
03-13-2008, 1:27 PM
Keith thanks for taking the time to post the pictures. Absolutely A-1!

James Mooney
03-14-2008, 7:33 AM
... Our construction program is about 600 million dollars completed with at least that much more to go over the next ten years. All of the new buildings are Jeffersonian architectural design, absolutely beautiful. Our students enjoy living in the best residence halls you have ever seen, that alone attracts a lot of interest.

WOW! Just wow. It must be absolutely stunning, not to mention the sense of privilege to be directly involved in something so monumental. Appropriatley beautiful work Keith. Thanks for sharing.

Larry Bratton
03-14-2008, 6:50 PM
Beautiful work Keith. Thanks for posting it!

Keith Outten
03-14-2008, 8:54 PM
Here is a couple more pictures, the first is the side entrance of the new library, the second is an interior shot of one of our reading rooms. We still have a contractor installing brick paver's in the front of the building between the new Student Union and the Library. The third picture shows the Student Union (on the left) I worked on for two years as the project Clerk of the Works. On the right side, just out of view, is the main entrance of the library.

As the University Sign Maker for CNU I have an opportunity to design and build incredible signs and custom projects for the University. With ten more years of construction ahead of us it fits my personal schedule and will take me to retirement age when i can return to my shop full time again :)