PDA

View Full Version : Need a thicker masking tape, or... - ideas?

Al Stewart
03-12-2008, 9:30 PM
I make photo sculptures by printing an image on a dye-sublimation printer (which prints on plastic "paper") I then apply the print to 1/8" acrylic.

I am trying to then cut that print/acrylic piece. No problem cutting, it's just that the plastic photo paper wants to melt right at the cut line which then makes a white defect in the print paper.

I can lower power to about 10% (40 watt system) and cut at about 1% speed to avoid almost all problem, but then it cuts so slowly I can cut it faster with a scroll saw.

I have used the masking tape sold by Laserbits that is usually used to avoid smoke stains and it allows a little faster cuts without defect. I tried the 3M blue painter's masking tape and it seems to solve the problem, but I can't find it in 6 or 8" rolls.

So, I'm asking for either suggestions on how to avoid the problem, or suggestions for a specific tape that removes easily like the 3M tape and is thick enough to do the job.

Thanks for the help!

Bill Parker
03-12-2008, 9:50 PM
I know tapecase.com sells it in 6", not sure about 8".

Al Stewart
03-12-2008, 10:13 PM
Thanks Bill! I just ordered it from TapeCase.

I had searched the 3M site and came away thinking they didn't make it 6".

Al

Kevin Groenke
03-12-2008, 10:28 PM
Hi Al,

You could also try application tapes used by sign makers for backing cut vinyl decals (among other things).

These are available in various tack and material (paper or plastic) in widths up to 48". It's really quite similar to the original backing on the acrylic you're cutting. With the proper tack, you should be able to peel off of your prints without damage.

The numerous sign pros here should be able to give you more thorough advice.

http://www.signwarehouse.com/AT-MANT-PTPM-p-M-AP-GXP750-08.html

Al Stewart
03-14-2008, 9:09 PM
I have checked out that site and it looks to be a very good source. I've bookmarked it and will go there when I need more tape.

Al