PDA

View Full Version : Turning antler

Russ Peters
03-12-2008, 9:14 PM
Just out of curiosity.. Is there a need to do anymore breathing protection when turning/sanding antler then with wood or acrylics?

Joe Chritz
03-12-2008, 9:51 PM
Never turned any but I have made knife handles from elk, whitetail, sambar stag, water buffalo and a translucent buffalo horn material as well as plain bone and dyed/jigged bone. They all handle nicely on a belt grinder and polish nicely but stink like crazy when working with grinding.

Making a guess but stuff in acrylics has got to be much worse for you than antler material. Use your regular process (respirator ideally) and you should be fine.

FWIW, sambar stag and buffalo horn are my favorites.

Joe

Richard A. Rivera, M.D.
03-12-2008, 10:09 PM
Just out of curiosity.. Is there a need to do anymore breathing protection when turning/sanding antler then with wood or acrylics?

Russ, I have also turned antler, and the question i would ask is where did the stock come from. The antler is organic in nature and could be harboring infectous agents which you really do not want to inhail. As mentioned, i would highly recommend use of a respirator and face shield. And wash your hands well after all is done.

Good luck...Dr. R...