PDA

View Full Version : Duck calls

Dale Overman
03-12-2008, 9:01 PM
A friend wants me to turn a duck call from deer antler, He wants it as an ornament to wear on a gold chain and only wanted it as a charm with no "quack, quack". I told him it needed to be functional as well as pretty. I need a source for the reed to put in a small duck call. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks Dale

Joe Chritz
03-12-2008, 9:11 PM
Penn state has duck calls or at least a duck call as well as predator call and a grunt call. It uses a pre assembled call that takes a turned piece at least 3.5" long according to the catalog.

Joe

www.pennstateind.com

Paul Douglass
03-12-2008, 9:20 PM
Most of the outfits that sell pen kits also sell duck call kits as well as other predator calls. Just another thing to try one-of-these-days:(

Richard A. Rivera, M.D.
03-12-2008, 10:28 PM
I have turned several calls for myself and for several of my hunting friends. I now use only guts form Greg Keats. He and Ed Glenn have written a book on tuning calls. You can check the guts out at...www.gregkeats.com.

Have fun turning and calling...Dr.R...

jack richington
03-12-2008, 11:38 PM
Regular calls require larger size than most deer antler...I don't know of any miniature innerds..also in antler, it would be very heavy around one's neck

Marvin Hasenak
03-13-2008, 1:09 AM
Duck call guts or inserts take a 5/8" bore which as has been said will be kind of heavy. A predator call with a JC Product reed and sleeve takes a 9/32" bore and can be as short as 1 1/4". Definitely won't quack but will squeal like a dying rabbit. Look on Google for Al Woodard, THO Game Calls, he has all kinds of reeds and has some tutorial on making calls.

If you have any questions you can contact me, all I really do with my lathe is make game calls, mostly predator and deer grunters, but I can lead you a stray with a duck call.

Marvin