PDA

View Full Version : Hot dang its a Hot Dawg

Rob Littleton
03-18-2004, 4:50 PM
Hey Guys,

anyone got a Modine Hot Dawg unit hanging in their shop.

It looks like i got a chance for a couple at a good price.

How was it to install? Does it do the job? How big is your shop that it heats?

cheers chaps

Tyler Howell
03-18-2004, 5:06 PM
Hey Guys,

cheers chaps

This is the only Hot Dog in my shop. You can have him for free

Rob Littleton
03-18-2004, 5:16 PM
This is the only Hot Dog in my shop. You can have him for free

Thanks Tyler.

Can you answer my questions please.

How easy was he to install.? hehehehe

Thats a little cutie..

Matt Meiser
03-18-2004, 5:41 PM
I installed a Hot Dawg type unit in my barn a few months ago. Hanging it was very easy. I hung mine from treaded rod which runs through 2x4's attached to the top of the joists. Wiring it was very easy--110V to a fused switch to the furnace and a 2-wire cable to a thermostat. Gas plumbing was fairly straight forward.

I used black pipe, even though I have propane and could have used copper tube. I did have to make about 3 or 4 trips to the store to get everything I needed. Most of my problems came from conflicting instructions about the venting and trouble finding parts listed in the instructions. Modine sells a complete side vent kit, which I would use if you can.

I also had to buy a manometer to make all the adjustments. I got a gas pressure measuring kit from Grainger for about $60.

jerry cousins
03-18-2004, 6:10 PM
hey rob - last year i installed a reznor - which is virtually the same as the modine - heating a 3.5 car size shop - 2 cars side is open trusses with insulation between the upper chords. works great & low profile (taking up no floor space). installation was really pretty easy - 2 threaded rods to hang it - then some sheet metal angle "iron" to stabilize it to the wall (keep it from rocking back and forth). i have to use propane gas and the tricky part was converitng it from natural gas - had to have the furnace guys in for that.

jerry

Chris Padilla
03-18-2004, 6:33 PM
Hey Guys,

cheers chaps

Wait a minute...where do you need heat??? :confused: :confused:

Rob Littleton
03-18-2004, 9:46 PM
Wait a minute...where do you need heat??? :confused: :confused:

April 5th, Im outta this wonderful valley and off to Prescott, Arizona.

Bought us a nice house and having an extension built on the side of the 3 car garage to make it a 4 and half car. I cant fogive my wife for expecting to put her car in there but thats another story.

PLUS, I have to make a nice little bed for the hot dog Tylers' sending me :-)

John Miliunas
03-18-2004, 10:03 PM
Rob, so OK...My "Hot Dawg" isn't as cute as Tyler's, but it sure does the job and it gets mighty cold 'round these parts! I ordered mine through: http://www.qcsupply.com/ (no, not affiliated, bla, bla, bla) and they were great to work with. Great product, great price and super-fast delivery! Anyhow, I'm heating about 1000 sq/ft. with a 45K btu unit. If you need it to run propane, you can order it already configured as such. We hung mine in the corner of the shop, shooting out along the longest wall and it does a nice job. I also picked up a setback thermostat at the Big Box, which I have set to kick in about an hour before I get home from work, then in the mornings on Sat./Sun. Hanging it was quite easy, as it's not a very heavy unit. I did, however, not trust myself to do the LP gas hookups and had a friend do it, who just happens to work for an HVAC contractor. Been very happy with it... :cool:

Michael Perata
03-18-2004, 10:21 PM
Hey Guys,

cheers chaps
Rob

I thought about a Modine for my shop but opted for a through-the-wall 220v heater/AC from Freidrich. Cost a lot less than a Modine and I get A/C, like on days like today where it was 84 at my house.

My shop is 20x20 and the heat pump heats it from the 50's to 70 in about 1/2 hour and on the days when it gets into the 90's the A/C keeps the area cool to about 74.

It is a lot easier running a 220 v 15 amp circuit than pumbing a 1/2" gas line.

Rob Littleton
03-19-2004, 12:39 AM
Rob, so OK...My "Hot Dawg" isn't as cute as Tyler's, but it sure does the job and it gets mighty cold 'round these parts! I ordered mine through: http://www.qcsupply.com/ (no, not affiliated, bla, bla, bla) and they were great to work with. Great product, great price and super-fast delivery! Anyhow, I'm heating about 1000 sq/ft. with a 45K btu unit. If you need it to run propane, you can order it already configured as such. We hung mine in the corner of the shop, shooting out along the longest wall and it does a nice job. I also picked up a setback thermostat at the Big Box, which I have set to kick in about an hour before I get home from work, then in the mornings on Sat./Sun. Hanging it was quite easy, as it's not a very heavy unit. I did, however, not trust myself to do the LP gas hookups and had a friend do it, who just happens to work for an HVAC contractor. Been very happy with it... :cool:

So is it simple enough to hang a thermostat off it?

What kind of thermostat did you get. I aint to sure about this stuff....

thanks man

Bruce Page
03-19-2004, 1:06 AM
Rob, I opted for a Sterling 45K Btu instead of the Hot Dawg. It is pretty much the same thing but a couple hundred $ cheaper. The 45K Btu is more than adequate to keep my ~500 sq ft garage shop as toasty as I want. I also installed a Honeywell classic round thermostat that works great. I hung the unit using two 6’ lengths of unistrut across the rafters and several carriage bolts. Overall, it was pretty easy to install – I think it took the better part of a Saturday and I did need help lifting and holding it to the ceiling while my son made the attachments in the attic. You have to be extremely careful when making any gas connections. If you are unsure about it in any way, hire a plumber.

Below is a thread from last summer with a picture of my unit.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?threadid=2876

Rob Russell
03-19-2004, 7:28 AM
I've got (2) Modine fan-forced units, but they're the hydronic units that are fed by hot water from our boiler. I picked up one at a tag sale for $25 - that's hanging in the old workshop. It's got it's own zone valve and 24V thermostat. The second unit is for the new workshop - had to buy that one new :( , but it was only $250 or so if my failing memory serves me correctly. That's got it's own circulator pump, thermostat and a relay I installed to tie it in to the thermostat control panel for the addition. It's actually deinstalled right now, because the first one leaked from a bent top feed pipe. I had to use it for a winter when we built the addition. The plumbing pipes in the addition were wet, so I sealed off the new basement with plastic and set the thermostat to 75*. The Modine basically heated the floor and we used that style of radiant heat to keep the pipes from freezing. I'll admit that the real radiant works better. Anyway, that unit was taken out and replaced, but I haven't gotten around to hanging the new one. Probably this summer as I get the insulation up underneath the real radiant heat, I'll want to put the Modine back in.

John Miliunas
03-19-2004, 8:13 AM
So is it simple enough to hang a thermostat off it?

What kind of thermostat did you get. I aint to sure about this stuff....

thanks man

Rob, that was the easiest part of the install. I picked up a regular house-type setback thermostat for a 25VDC system. Got mine at HD and think I only paid @ 40.00 for it. Regular bell wire works fine for wiring it, as it's only low voltage DC, anyway. You just need to be sure the thermostat isn't mounted right in-line of the heaters air-flow, so as not to give it false readings. :cool: