PDA

View Full Version : Wrote another reminder to myself above the light switch...

Brian Penning
03-12-2008, 7:58 PM
Above the light switch as I leave the shop I've written HEAT? to remind myself to turn off the heater before leaving. Now I've written above it SAW? to remember to turn off the SawStop before leaving.
Came into the shop this morning and had left both the heater and the SS main power switch on.
Sheesh!

Rob Russell
03-12-2008, 8:10 PM
You could wire it up so that when you kill the lights, the SawStop is ded too.

For the heat, you could put that on a timer so it never stays on for more than a specified period.

Leo Graywacz
03-12-2008, 8:29 PM
They also have these modern fandangled things called setback thermostats:rolleyes:. It will shut down automatically at a set time. You're on your own with the SawStop.

BTW, why do you need to disconnect the power to it? Can the safety mechanism go off accidentally?

John Morrison60
03-12-2008, 8:49 PM
Since my shop is always a one person operation, I wired a DPST switch that both turns on my cyclone, and the power to the single circuit that all of the main power tools is plugged into. In that way, I am forced to always have the DC on when I am making dust, and I have power off to the machines when the DC is off.

Works Great
John

Jim Becker
03-12-2008, 9:43 PM
I've gotten into the habit of killing the main power cutoff on my MM slider and MM J/P combo when I'm not in the shop. This is to both conserve energy as well as for added safety. Same with my Stubby lathe...and that also gets unplugged to keep the VDF off line.

William Nimmo
03-12-2008, 9:49 PM
I have left it on occasionally and I wonder if there is any concern with leaving it on. Anybody?

Art Mulder
03-12-2008, 10:03 PM
My tablesaw is on a switched outlet, which also has a light on it. So as I leave the shop, a glance will tell me if the TS still has power.

Oh, and I have also worked hard to cultivate the habit to ALWAYS drop the sawblade below the table when I done with using it. (I have four kids -- all of whom I am teaching to respect my shop, mostly by staying out without parental presence/permission -- but I still am looking out for them and me...)

Dylan Smith
03-13-2008, 1:00 AM
Oh, and I have also worked hard to cultivate the habit to ALWAYS drop the sawblade below the table when I done with using it. (I have four kids -- all of whom I am teaching to respect my shop, mostly by staying out without parental presence/permission -- but I still am looking out for them and me...)

Sounds like a quality suggestion, kids or not...

Especially for those of us in the habit of using said saw as a bench too often. ;)

Scott Long
03-13-2008, 6:19 AM
I have tied my heater tied into my light switch, so that when I leave I know that the heat is off also.

Geoff Potter
03-13-2008, 8:25 AM
What's heat?;)

Leo Graywacz
03-13-2008, 8:36 AM
My heat never goes off. Just down to 45ºF. I just have to remember to turn it down. Can't have everything freeze in the shop. Nor do I want to come into a shop and work on tools that are 20ºF either.

Bruce McElhaney
03-13-2008, 8:52 AM
I'm with Leo, my heat never goes off, just down. My thermostat bottoms out at 45 so that's where I set it when leaving the shop. However the main power stay on all the time. What the advantage of shutting it off?

Bruce McElhaney
Spring Lake, MI