PDA

View Full Version : Hollow Form Variation

Steve Schlumpf
03-12-2008, 6:11 PM
This is an experiment in form. The pedestal and collar are cherry, the hollow form is birdseye maple and the finial is curly maple. The pedestal was turned so that it would be a continuation of the curve of the hollow form. I wanted the collar to look like it was something that was laid on the hollow form and then just assumed the form – sorta like soft fabric. The base of the finial was turned to reflect the soft curve of the collar and the bulbous portion of the finial was to reflect my favorite shape of hollow form - in miniature.

83936 83937

The HF with finial is 7 3/4" high X 3" diameter. Everything was sanded to 400 grit and has one coat of thinned Minwax Poly. Nothing is glued together – just in case I wanted to change something down the road.

As always, your thoughts, comments, critiques and suggestions are most appreciated!

Thanks for looking!

Dennis Puskar
03-12-2008, 9:42 PM
I wouldn't change anything, very nice form.

Brian McInturff
03-12-2008, 10:13 PM
Steve,
Very interesting concept, and one that I like also. Will you stick with a more flat type sheen or will you go with a high luster for the birdseye. I know there are those who like a soft satin finish and others like myself who like the high gloss, you're looking at glass type finish. Either way it's a winner. And I really like the finial on this one too. Great job.

Tom Sherman
03-13-2008, 7:50 AM
Steve I like this one a lot. The pedestal blends very nicely with the form, the top could blend a little better, but overall I like it a lot.

Mike Golka
03-13-2008, 8:23 AM
LOML is not a big fan of finials, but I like em! nicely done!

Barry Elder
03-13-2008, 10:34 AM
A great idea, Steve, but where the pedestal flows with the hollow form, the collar and the finial don't seem to flow at all to these old eyeballs. My amateur 2 cents.

Keith Burns
03-13-2008, 10:52 AM
Nice job Steve. It's always fun to step out. The only thing that I see that I don't care for is the finial. It looks just a little "heavy" to me. Just my opinion. Keep them coming !

Mike A. Smith
03-13-2008, 11:07 AM
Steve, I like it! If I had to pick on anything, I might have chosen woods that constrasted a bit more. But that's a matter of taste and they probably stand out more in person than in the pics. Well done!

Steve Schlumpf
03-13-2008, 12:04 PM
Funny how things look different once you post them for the world to see!

Had a piece of the curly maple left over from the first finial and wanted to try one that was slightly less bulky.

Let me know if you think it works better...

Thanks for looking!

robert hainstock
03-13-2008, 12:37 PM
They look great to me either way. :):)
Bob

Russ Peters
03-13-2008, 3:13 PM
Both look good but now that you have an extra one you will have to make something to put under it

Kurt Bird
03-13-2008, 4:04 PM
Steve,
I agree with Keith, the original finial combo looked heavy to me. The second one is much better, and is in better balance with the rest of the piece. If you can still chuck the lid and finial, you might try for a completely smooth transition from lid to finial, like you did on the base. IMHO that would complete everything! Very pretty piece, and good choices on the colors!
Kurt:)

Dennis Peacock
03-13-2008, 4:11 PM
Funny how things look different once you post them for the world to see!

Had a piece of the curly maple left over from the first finial and wanted to try one that was slightly less bulky.

Let me know if you think it works better...

Thanks for looking!

Yes-sir.....that's MUCH better Steve!!!! Good job!!!! :cool:

Ben Gastfriend
03-13-2008, 4:32 PM
I'll agree with all. Simply beautiful! But I do not like the first final, but the second one looks great. Sometimes second time's the charm!

Arlan Ten Kley
03-14-2008, 10:04 AM
Nice job Steve! I think your second finial is better as well.

Keith Burns
03-14-2008, 11:20 AM
I think you got it Steve !