PDA

View Full Version : Drawer Construction

Anthony Whitesell
03-12-2008, 5:52 PM
I have just squared up some 1/2" poplar stock for some drawer boxes. I was setting up to cut the dadoes on the sides for the drawer bottom, but realized I didn't know how far up to cut them. So I now have the question: How far up from the bottom of your drawer side is the dado for the drawer bottom?

Bruce Benjamin
03-12-2008, 6:28 PM
1/4" up, 1/4" deep, 1/4" wide.

Bruce

Dave Falkenstein
03-12-2008, 6:39 PM
Just like Bruce. Do we need a poll for a dimension?

David DeCristoforo
03-12-2008, 6:47 PM
It's really going to depend a lot on what kind of glides you use.

If you want to use "undermount" hardware, you need a 1/2" recess.

If you are using wood runners and the bottom is "let in" to the runners (assuming that the runners are 3/4" (+/-) then it's going to be more like a quarter of an inch.

If you use "bottom mount" hardware, it's better to let the bottom overlap the sides so there would be no dado at all.

If the drawers are mounted on "side mount" glides or if the bottom edges of the drawer sides do "double duty" as runners, it can be anything you want.

YM

Bruce Benjamin
03-12-2008, 6:47 PM
Just like Bruce. Do we need a poll for a dimension?

We need to take a poll to see if we need to take a dimension poll. ;):rolleyes:

Bruce

Joe Chritz
03-12-2008, 7:16 PM
Generally about | | that far or so.

I usually go 1/4 up and 1/4 deep for ease of measurements but often with dovetails you want to bury the slot so it isn't visible if you don't use applied fronts so that could change that.

When I did the drawers for my pantry (33 wide x 21 deep) I went a little higher up and used 1/2 material for the bottoms. Strictly for extra weight capacity.

Joe

Jim Becker
03-12-2008, 7:22 PM
Typically 1/4" up for me and that's what I checked on the poll, but honestly, for a heavier drawer with a thicker bottom, it might be higher...about the same as the thickness of the bottom to provide adequate support for said bottom.

Jim Dunn
03-12-2008, 9:05 PM
I agree with Jim B. If the drawer bottom is 1/2" thick then I'll let the bottom set above the drawer sides 1/2".