PDA

View Full Version : Handyman club of america

Ray Schafer
03-12-2008, 5:13 PM
What is this and what is the catch? They want to send me free tools to test? Come on. This has to be a gimick, but I never have heard of it before. Any of you guys know what gives?

Cary Falk
03-12-2008, 5:23 PM
Run away fast!!!!. The club is a joke. It was not worth my subscription price which was free.

Ron Jones near Indy
03-12-2008, 5:28 PM
"Membership" cards make good glue spreaders.

glenn bradley
03-12-2008, 5:36 PM
Same experience here. Save a tree, don't respond.

Matt Crew
03-12-2008, 6:05 PM
I got one of those also.
I was going to ask the same question, sounds too good to be true, must not be good.

Chris Padilla
03-12-2008, 6:32 PM
I've gotten several plastic drill hole gauges from them...THOSE are handy but that is about it! :D

Pat Germain
03-12-2008, 8:07 PM
This topic comes up regularly here on SMC. The consensus had already been stated; don't bother. Somebody recently posted how many tools they'd have to send out in order for most members to actually receive a tool to test. The number was ridiculous and verified it's extremely unlikely any member will ever receive any tool to test.

I was a member of a Craftsman Club years ago and it wasn't much better. I think I received a few coupons, or something, but I wasn't interested in buying the items on the coupons.

Greg Hines, MD
03-12-2008, 8:15 PM
I've gotten several plastic drill hole gauges from them...THOSE are handy but that is about it! :D

Have you ever tried using their drill gauges as shims for your router table? They are consistent enough to use to shim out your fences for jointing!!

Doc

scott spencer
03-13-2008, 7:21 AM
It's a magazine subscription with an angle of being a club that provides "expert tool testing" which the members provide. The mag is lousy IMHO, and the tools sent tend to be things like jeweler's screw drivers or locksets from the dollar store. Some call it a joke, I thought it more nuisance. Keep the hole guide and toss the invitation!

Alex Berkovsky
03-13-2008, 7:58 AM
Have you ever tried using their drill gauges as shims for your router table? They are consistent enough to use to shim out your fences for jointing!!

DocDoc,
Now you tell me? I just threw one out. :rolleyes:

Ben Cadotte
03-13-2008, 8:11 AM
I got so many of their advertisements I just toss them now. Never though about using the drill cards as a glue spreader. Maybe I will start opening them again and save them. :D

mike holden
03-13-2008, 8:28 AM
FWIW, I have seen the magazine at Barnes & Noble.
You may want to look through a copy and decide for yourself.
The "club" is basically a magazine subscription.
I get virtually every woodworking mag I can get my hands on, I dont get this one.
But, YMMV, if you have a B&N bookstore near you, it is a free way to check the mag out.
Mike

Greg Hines, MD
03-13-2008, 9:42 AM
Doc,
Now you tell me? I just threw one out. :rolleyes:

I never throw those away. I probably have a dozen of them by now. The white ones are slightly thicker than the black ones, which turns out to be convenient.

Doc

Jesse Cloud
03-13-2008, 10:15 AM
The hole guides are just flexible/stiff enough to make a good featherboard on a bandsaw or router table.

Chris Padilla
03-13-2008, 10:18 AM
I've also taped the drill guides to my jigsaw to provide a smooth non-marring surface when I've needed one.

Yes, they make great shims. So do old credit cards if you cut out the raised number sections. :)

Lee Schierer
03-13-2008, 11:25 AM
If you want to get off their mailing list, stuff all their paper and whatever other stuff you can fit in, into their return envelope and send it back to them. The more weight the better. Once they have to pay the postage due, they will never write to you again. DAMHIKT.

Glenn Clabo
03-13-2008, 11:37 AM
LOL...I tried that with AARP...and then they started sending stuff to my wife. Now she's mad at me...AND at turning 50.

Pat Germain
03-13-2008, 12:29 PM
If you want to get off their mailing list, stuff all their paper and whatever other stuff you can fit in, into their return envelope and send it back to them. The more weight the better. Once they have to pay the postage due, they will never write to you again. DAMHIKT.

While it might make you feel better, it's more likely the post office will throw it away, or some person on the other end will throw it away. In either situation, nobody will pay attention to who sent it.

Jess Wetherhold
03-13-2008, 8:52 PM
I received this as a gift and did not renew. Yeah, you will get some plastic gauges and address labels with little silver hammers on them and such.
They did send me a fishing lure though :confused:

Christopher Pine
03-13-2008, 9:08 PM
My wife kepy renewing it. I am guessing it has been 5 years since I did not renew and I am still getting the mag, go figure.