PDA

View Full Version : Makita 2040 stationary planer vs lunchbox planers

Tyler Davis
03-12-2008, 4:47 PM
I see a Makita 2040 16" planer on Phoenix CL : http://phoenix.craigslist.org/tls/601165560.html

I'm wondering how this type of planer compares to the popular lunchbox planers (DW 735, Ridgid 1300, Delta 22-580, Makita 201).
The price would be similar, in the $400 range.

I have heard the more stationary machines leave a less than smooth surface finish. I am an amateur hobbyist, so I won't be running thousands of BF.
I guess my criteria are:
1. surface finish
2. reliability
3. noise level
then ease of knife change, adjustable speeds, etc

Any insight on these planers?

Bob Aquino
03-12-2008, 10:03 PM
I seem to recall some issues with the covering on the feed rollers getting very gummy and having to be replaced at a decent cost. I dont think the parts are as easily attained either. Never had one myself, but I looked into one quite a while ago.

J.R. Rutter
03-12-2008, 10:34 PM
The 2040 is like a lunchbox planer on steroids. Maybe Western Roller has replacement feed rollers? A friend of mine who owned a cabinetry/millwork company before he passed away said that the finish from his was excellent.

John Callahan
03-13-2008, 6:35 AM
Sold my 2040 some years ago and regret it to this day- Makita made some excellent stationary equipment. Left a very nice surface finish and the machine was dead nuts reliable- many a bf run through it. It isn't a powerhouse using a 120 volt universal motor; you won't be hogging off big chunks of wide boards. The infeed/ outfeed rollers are urethane iirc; they do wear but they can be recoated. Check the archives here- there's a thread or two about vendors that do that. I believe Makita still has them new but they are very expensive. There was also a gear reduction available (don't know if it still is) to slow the feed speed- I never saw the need as the surface finish was quite good. I had four sets of knives for mine; two HSS and two carbide. The carbide lasted far longer but the finish wasn't quite as good; there was a bit of "peach fuzz" left with the carbide knives. For a home shop you'd be hard pressed to do better imho. If it's in good shape I wouldn't let it slip by.

Jeff Clow
03-13-2008, 1:00 PM
The factory rollers have a gummy rubber that doesn't last too long, especially in hot climates. Replacement original rollers are available for around $200.00 each. I have seen ureathane replacements for around the same price and should last far, far longer. There is a industrial roller company near Atlanta, Industrial Resource Solutions, who say they can recover them for $65.00 each (1-1/2 yrs ago price). I have not dealt with them myself. Their number is 800-941-6778, if you want to talk to them about it. From everything I have heard, its a heck of a good finish planer! Hope to rebuild mine soon! (it was a freebe with bad rollers).
I also saw a thread on another forum, where someone was able to get replacement motor parts, so at least some parts are still available.

Good Luck
Jeff Clow

Peter Quinn
03-13-2008, 1:10 PM
Thats like asking "Mike Tyson or Minne Mouse" Get that 2040...and send one my way if there are 2!

Tyler Davis
03-13-2008, 1:58 PM
Thanks for the insights. I live in Tucson, definitely considered a hot climate and I can't imagine the rollers would be in good shape. A $200 replacement part puts it out of my range.

But what exactly makes it the "Mike Tyson" of planers compared to the new benchtop ones? Stronger motor? Heavier table/castings?

J.R. Rutter
03-14-2008, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the insights. I live in Tucson, definitely considered a hot climate and I can't imagine the rollers would be in good shape. A $200 replacement part puts it out of my range.

But what exactly makes it the "Mike Tyson" of planers compared to the new benchtop ones? Stronger motor? Heavier table/castings?

If you are serious about woodworking, and it is close by, you need to at least go see it in operation.

Stronger motor - well, an industrial universal. Heavier table + castings - Yes! Better bearings, better drive system, better balance, easier to use, more reliable, more capacity. And just as loud!