PDA

View Full Version : weird sounds with my bandsaw

nick brigg
03-12-2008, 1:21 PM
as cutting some maple today i heard this weird sound...the best i can describe it as changing radio stations and getting that weird whistling pitch....what could it be?

Eric Haycraft
03-12-2008, 1:28 PM
Belt slipping?

nick brigg
03-12-2008, 1:34 PM
belt slipping is more of a screetching rght? this was liek a twanty high itched, kinda like when people play a hand saw with a violin bow..

Rick Hubbard
03-12-2008, 1:40 PM
First thing I would check is the guide bearings. Sounds like one of them might be a little on the dry side.

Jason Beam
03-12-2008, 1:43 PM
The blade can sometimes resonate as you describe. I believe it's normal, though. But check that your tension is correct, because that is probably where you have the most control over this. The dimensions of the blade and the tension on it are probably the two biggest factors in causing a specific pitch and volume of that resonance. Tension adjustments have created/eliminated the ... howl? ... of a blade in my experience. Usually an 8th of a turn or so can change it.

nick brigg
03-12-2008, 1:46 PM
i think its the tension...it just started doing this the other day out of the blue and then again today. setting the tension is still a mystery to me. i cant use the scale in the back because the blade i was shipped was maybe 2 inches longer, so i did the deflection thingy, seemed fine, i managed to cut veneer 1mm thick of cherry.

oh yeah im running a 1/2 3 TPI bi-metal blade.

Jason Beam
03-12-2008, 1:49 PM
The scale shouldn't be affected by length. The spring is only engaged once the blade is taught on the wheels - regardless of length. The indication of its tension should remain the same since the whole assembly moves as one until the wheel meets resistance from the blade.

Brent Ring
03-12-2008, 1:53 PM
Check the guide and Thrust bearings..... I lubed mine and got rid of a screechy type sound.

nick brigg
03-12-2008, 1:55 PM
The scale shouldn't be affected by length. The spring is only engaged once the blade is taught on the wheels - regardless of length. The indication of its tension should remain the same since the whole assembly moves as one until the wheel meets resistance from the blade.

ah this i did not know!

nick brigg
03-12-2008, 1:59 PM
honestly, how does everyone here set the tension, i've been using bandsaws for about 2 years and its still guess work to me. :(

Greg Cole
03-12-2008, 3:40 PM
Nick,
My Grizz BS made some sounds akin to listening to whales moan & umm wail.... was from the little brushes on the tires believe it or not.
I don't think they were tightened well enough at the factory as the sound didn't develop until well after I started using it....
I use the flutter method for tensioning mine and then make a mental note of there the tension gauge is for that specific blade.

Greg

Lee Schierer
03-12-2008, 3:52 PM
My guess is that if the saw started making this sound part way through the cut or in the middle of a series of cuts that a piece of scrap has lodged somewhere so that it rubs against the blade as it moves. Most likely place to start is right under the throat plate laying on top of th blade guides or the second place to look is inside the lower door where a piece can lodge against the side of the wheel or blade.

John Keeton
03-12-2008, 4:48 PM
Nick

Check here for the "flutter method" for proper tension.

http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/six_rules.asp

nick brigg
03-12-2008, 6:16 PM
Nick

Check here for the "flutter method" for proper tension.

http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/six_rules.asp

Yeah i've seen that before and it made me kinda nervous haha. i just back off the guides, turn it on, lets it flutter then slowly bring the tension up til it stops fluttering and give it one more lil turn? how high should i have guide assembly?