PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for a router table fence

Wes Billups
03-12-2008, 10:19 AM
I’ve been using my home made router table and fence for a few years and find myself continually frustrated with the fence. I’ve decided to go ahead and buy a manufactured fence and was wondering who makes the best. At this point I think I’ve settled on the Benchdog version but was wanting to get some other suggestions. I’ve looked at Rockler’s versions and they all seem to be made a little more flimsy than the Benchdog.

I should also say I want to stay under $150 for the fence.

Thanks,
Wes

Dave Falkenstein
03-12-2008, 11:09 AM
Woodpeckers LE fences are within your budget:

http://www.woodpeck.com/lefence.html

The SuperFence is also worth considering, although a bit higher in price.

Deck Reagan
03-12-2008, 11:31 AM
I just ordered the supreme router table fence from Peachtree. I friend of mine bought it and loves it. It's a very Heavy fence.

http://www.ptreeusa.com/routertableFence.htm

Dave Verstraete
03-12-2008, 12:03 PM
I've been very pleased with the Woodpeckers LE Fence

Jerome Hanby
03-12-2008, 12:05 PM
It's over your $150, but an Incra Wonderfence can be had from Amazon with free shipping for about $230. Plus, you could go through the SMC store link and generate a little coin for the Creek!

Bill Wyko
03-12-2008, 12:14 PM
I have to agree with Jerome, the incra is the way to go. You can do double dove tails and box joints and the accuracy is unbeatable.

pat warner
03-12-2008, 7:52 PM
One like this (http://patwarner.com/images/rtf_opener.jpg).

Dave Verstraete
03-12-2008, 8:03 PM
Pat
I'm guessing that one might be over the $150.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-12-2008, 8:58 PM
I use a chunk of wood that's been jointed square on 2 sides.

My router table hangs off the back end of my slider so I use the slider and when I need a fence I use one of the bolt holes in the table and a chonk of jointed wood. and I clamp it at the other end.
To adjust it, I just loosen the clamp and tap. If I need to, I can put a dial indicator right at the cutter on the fence to see how much I'm moving it.

I keep telling myself I gotta make a more snazzy one but the need never seems to arise.

Larry Rasmussen
03-12-2008, 10:00 PM
I have had a JessEm 04001 Mast-R-Fence for almost a year and really found that it made an improvement with my set up. Easy to set and adjust, locks down tight without any movement. $155.25 at Amazon plus shipping- almost there price wise. I use it with a home made table and Rockler discount top I found for 40 bucks in their store.
Larry R
Seattle

Wes Billups
03-13-2008, 12:16 PM
Larry, I like the JessEm and think that's the way I'm going to go. Our local woodworking store carries the Rockler version so I think I'll check it out before buying. The item I didn't mention earlier that concerned me about alot of the fences is the requirement for a t-slot in the table top. When I laminated the MDF to make my top I drove screws in from the bottom to act as clamps while the glue dried. I then laminated both sides of the top with formica so I have no idea where the screws are located and worry about trying to route a slot. The JessEm attachment method means I won't have to worry about those screws.

Thanks,
Wes Billups

John Newell
03-13-2008, 12:43 PM
I recently stumbled on a Benchdog fence being closed out at the local Woodcraft for $90. I think it was originally $150. I don't think I would have bitten the bullet at that price, but after buying and using it, I'd have to say I'd rethink that. It's a very impressive, easy to use and flexible piece of equipment.

Tim Thomas
03-13-2008, 1:09 PM
I got the Freud SH-5 from Amazon a while back. It's just $100 with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Freud-SH-5-Professional-Micro-Adjustable-Router/dp/B00005Q7CN/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1205431111&sr=8-1

I like the micro adjustment feature on both of the fences. Some people may not like that the fences are only attached on the one side nearest the cutter, but I haven't found it to be a problem. I'm going to make new fences anyway and I may just include a lip on the back side to run a t-bolt through. That should give me more support on the far end of the track.

Brent Ring
03-13-2008, 1:58 PM
I have the Incra Ultra lite, and while I have yet to put it thru its paces, I like the quickness and ease of adjustment.

Greg Hines, MD
03-13-2008, 2:00 PM
Larry, I like the JessEm and think that's the way I'm going to go. Our local woodworking store carries the Rockler version so I think I'll check it out before buying. The item I didn't mention earlier that concerned me about alot of the fences is the requirement for a t-slot in the table top. When I laminated the MDF to make my top I drove screws in from the bottom to act as clamps while the glue dried. I then laminated both sides of the top with formica so I have no idea where the screws are located and worry about trying to route a slot. The JessEm attachment method means I won't have to worry about those screws.

Thanks,
Wes Billups

Lots of people do not put miter slots in their tables, and instead manufacture miter gauges/sleds that align with fences attached to the underside of the sled and the front of the tabletop.

When I built my fence, I put t-track across the top of it for using sleds or fixtures to run down the fence, but have never actually done that. I have used it a lot for feather boards.

Doc

Wayne Cannon
03-13-2008, 3:36 PM
Kudos for BenchDog and Woodhaven (and probably Woodpeckers) fences

The BenchDog fence also has a very nice vertical extension for those times you want a taller fence. I don't use it often, but when I do, it always re-mounts straight and flush.

I have the Incra Jig Ultra, but it's slow/cumbersome to use and not quite as rigid, though it's nice for precise indexing (e.g., for parallel flutes, etc.) and returning exactly to previous settings.

After seven years, I recently replace the BenchDog fence with the Woodhaven fence for more versatility in attaching after-market accessories (pivot, pivot stop, micro-adjust, various clamping styles, longer fence, etc), which I've taken advantage of much more than I ever expected. The Woodhaven is made of multi-slot T-track extrusion, much like the Woodpeckers Super Fence.

Caveats:
-- BenchDog: the end-clamps can pivot slightly, allowing the fence to slip back a hair if you don't take out the backlash in advance.

-- Woohaven (and probably Woodpeckers), chips escape dust collection through the T-track slots. I've filled the slot ends by the router bit to prevent this.

robert micley
03-13-2008, 4:26 PM
i love microadjust on a router table fence.even when using a bearing bit i use the microadjust to get the bearing just right on the straightedge.jointech,incra and pat warner have microadjust.pat warners fence is a beautiful piece of workmanship.i have a jointech fence.kreg fence is more of a rudimentary microadjust.a super tall fence is not as important to me.when doing vertical work i really need to raise the fence more than 4-5 inches so i attach an extension to the top of my fence.

John Newell
03-13-2008, 7:32 PM
The panel-loc accessory for the BD is also pretty darned slick.

Marc Prudhomme
03-13-2008, 7:37 PM
www.routertabledepot.com/fencekits.html (http://www.routertabledepot.com/fencekits.html) I Just bought a router table from this place and I think its top quality...

Michael Tessier
03-13-2008, 8:46 PM
Pat,

I just finished a fence inspired by your book and the article in FWW. I'm afraid I don't get the new design. The plexiglass (lexan?) looks like a guard. The fence doesn't look like it has much working surface. Is it easier to make square? Please enlight us on the thinking behind the new design.

Best Regards,
Mike

Bill Huber
03-13-2008, 11:03 PM

Thanks,
Wes Billups

That is what I really like about the JessEm is the way it mounts and the fact its built like a tank. There is only one small, I mean really small thing I don't like and that is the jointer shims, but then I have a jointer and have only used them 2 times.
I did make a micro adjuster for it that really works great.

http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/micro_adjuster

mike holden
03-14-2008, 9:06 AM
Let me throw another vote out for the benchdog.
Solid, reliable, locks without any channels, or slots - uses the top itself as a clamping surface.
If you have a Woodcraft near you, go check them out. I believe that Rockler bought out benchdog, so Woodcraft will no longer carry - so most places are remaindering the stock.
Mike

pat warner
03-14-2008, 2:59 PM
Mr Tessier.
New fence does have a curtain face. Expose just enough cutter (http://patwarner.com/images/rtf5.jpg) to do the work.
No cutter pocket for the work to get lost in, no possibility of kickback, very difficult to get fingers in jeopardy. A continuous unbroken, uninterrupted pathway for the work. A safety fence.

Michael Tessier
03-14-2008, 5:42 PM
Pat,

Is this design a full substitution for the previous design? Can you edge joint with it?

Could I acheive the same thing by clamping a piece of Lexan to the older design?

Best Regards,
Mike

pat warner
03-14-2008, 6:41 PM
Not (http://patwarner.com/routerfence.html)for full thickness cuts.

David Miller
03-15-2008, 7:52 AM
I recently purchased the Woodpecker's Superfence. I haven't had a chance to use it yet but am impressed with the construction and features. I picked it up for $119 using their e-club discount (standard price is $169).

-Dave

Al Navas
03-15-2008, 8:12 AM
A full table, and a fence that allows installing as many jigs as one would want: http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SORS

http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/images/SORS_FULL.jpg

robert micley
03-16-2008, 10:18 AM
some fences have no way to square the fence to the tabletop.to me this is important if you are running tall boards against your fence.dont count on your fence face being automaticly square to table surface

ron z johnson
03-17-2008, 4:55 AM
Jointech has a 32" Fence for only $129.00 on their website.
http://www.jointech.com/dovetailfence.htm

RJ

Deb Malloy
03-21-2008, 1:01 PM
I was about to ask the same question myself.
Thanks for the "leg work".
Is anyone familiar with the Rousseau 3301 Router Table Fence ?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005A1JJ

My budget is not as high.........:o

Thanks

Kevin Newman
03-21-2008, 6:48 PM
I have the incra wonderfence and have been pretty happy with it. It's a little over the budget at around $230, but its a nice fence.

Wes Billups
03-21-2008, 7:30 PM
Deb, I just took possession of the Jessem fence yesterday. I haven't installed it yet but am impressed with it's construction. I'll try to get it put on the table this weekend and report back my findings. I really debated between this one and the Bench Dog but went with the Jessem for it's method of clamping into the tracks on the edge of the table. I've read some comments about the Bench Dog being able to shift while tightening it down.

Wes

Johnny Kleso
03-21-2008, 8:45 PM
I made my own from aluminum extrusions from 80/20 and angle I bought from eBay..
Spent maybe $40 for 5" high by 42" long 1st class fence..

https://home.comcast.net/~stardawg/router2/
You can see pics here

Johnny Kleso
03-21-2008, 8:56 PM
I made my own for about$40-$50 from aluminum extruion and angle stock from eBay..

Its 5" high and 43" long and first class I think..

Opps sorry for double post

The extrusions are from 80/20 and bottom eow is 3x1 and top row is 2x1
Angle is 3x4 which I also got from a seller at eBay called Low Cost Metals the sxtrusions can be bought at MSC or McMaster or from 80/20 the makers @eBay site 80/20 Garage

Wes Billups
03-30-2008, 5:58 PM
Based on the suggestions here, I ordered a Jessem router table fence and have received it. I haven't started the installation yet as I've noticed the phenolic split fence sets 1/32" farther back than the t-slot extrusion above it. This offset would prevent me from running boards on edge and having them square to the table. I'm going to call Jessem in the morning but was wondering if others with this fence have noticed the same thing. I can shim the fence but feel this may be a design flaw and hate doing this to one of the more expensive fences on the market.

Thanks,
Wes

Raymond Fries
03-30-2008, 6:27 PM
Incra makes very good products and I have been very happy with mine.