PDA

View Full Version : Wixey Angle Gauge question.

Brian Penning
03-12-2008, 9:18 AM
Why does the gauge carry the warning to disconnect power from equipment while using gauge?

Glen Blanchard
03-12-2008, 9:23 AM
I would think this is a safety issue. One would not want the blade to begin turning whilst the gauge is on it.

Jeremy Leasure
03-12-2008, 9:24 AM
Why does the gauge carry the warning to disconnect power from equipment while using gauge?

Probably because on the tablesaw at least, you zero the gauge on the table then place it on the blade to find your angle. Thats my guess.

Lee Schierer
03-12-2008, 11:20 AM
Probably because if they didn't have the warning some clown would sue after either leaving it on the blade and starting the saw or trying to stick it on a still moving blade.

Joe Chritz
03-12-2008, 11:40 AM
Lee speaks wise words.

Although I would normally use a different adjective for the plaintiff but this is a family board.

Sometimes Darwin is a cranky fella.

Joe

Mike Spanbauer
03-12-2008, 11:54 AM
... some clown would sue after either leaving it on the blade and starting the saw or trying to stick it on a still moving blade.

...Sometimes Darwin is a cranky fella.
Joe

Lol... got me to thinking about the Darwin awards and the nominee...

"Man dies from measured degrees: A local man was impaled today by a little device used to measure a blades angle. The Wixey DRO gauge attaches via a magnet to the blade, and apparently this operator left his brain in his other body today as he attached it and then proceeded to start the blade in an attempt to confirm the running angle of the blade.
Too late did he realize that a 5hp table saw can generate enough power at start to throw the gauge at nearly the speed of sound. The last thing through his mind was... you guessed it, The Wixey."

Common sense, isn't. Better to place warnings on your products than get sued and go bellyup.

Mike

John Cooper2
03-12-2008, 11:56 AM
In one word ------ LAWYERS-----

Dave Verstraete
03-12-2008, 11:58 AM
Mike
Thanks for the great laugh. Once again , my $6 was a great investment.

One question....Were you out on strike a while ago?? You sure should work for Leno

Barry Wixey
03-12-2008, 2:26 PM
Hey, I just had to step into this one!

Believe it it or not I have read at least 3 reports of people leaving our gauge on the saw blade and then turning it on. One guy said it flew across the room and bounced off his concrete block wall. At least he finished with " takes a licking and keeps on ticking"

Anyway, I have worked for the big guys enough to know someone might come after you if they get hurt and they can say you didn't warn them. If any of you bought original versions of this product without the warning sticker I will be glad to send you one so you don't forget!

Mike Spanbauer
03-12-2008, 2:59 PM
Dave, glad you enjoyed it. The funny part is I could see it happening. If you've never read the darwinawards.com website, it's worth a visit... Truth IS stranger than fiction.

Barry,
Too true in our litigious society. Better safe than sorry... you really don't want
that fictitious write-up I did as a reality.

mike

Dave Verstraete
03-12-2008, 4:03 PM
Mike
I have read the Darwin Awards before. It was great for Barry to "chime" in.

Curt Harms
03-12-2008, 4:28 PM
Hey, I just had to step into this one!

Believe it it or not I have read at least 3 reports of people leaving our gauge on the saw blade and then turning it on. One guy said it flew across the room and bounced off his concrete block wall. At least he finished with " takes a licking and keeps on ticking"

Anyway, I have worked for the big guys enough to know someone might come after you if they get hurt and they can say you didn't warn them. If any of you bought original versions of this product without the warning sticker I will be glad to send you one so you don't forget!

Quit monkeying around on these boards and get busy with a planer depth gauge for my Jet Jointer/Planer:D:D.

On a more serious note, if You'd like any pics or dimensions on the Jet J/P, feel free to P.M. me or whatever.

Curt

Barry Wixey
03-13-2008, 2:19 PM
Quit monkeying around on these boards and get busy with a planer depth gauge for my Jet Jointer/Planer:D:D.

On a more serious note, if You'd like any pics or dimensions on the Jet J/P, feel free to P.M. me or whatever.

Curt

Curt;

If I didn't pay attention to this these boards once in a while how would we know what to improvbe or produce next??

Your readout is in the works. Probably not until the end of the year though. It will have a remote display and 12" range to fit on about anything you want.

OK back to work!