PDA

View Full Version : Last Bowls form old lathe - Jet 1236

steven carter
03-12-2008, 9:02 AM
These are the last bowls I made on my old Jet 1236 before I sold it. New lathe Jet 1642 arrived last night.:) I picked it up in a van that has a handicap ramp and large back seat that folds down into a bed, so I had to have the woodcraft guys break it down to fit it in. Kept the legs in the boxes, and took everything off the bed. Thanks Dusty at Woodcraft in Cincinnati. I unloaded the whole thing by myself in to the garage. Thankfully my 25 year old son came buy to help put it together, I should get it running tonight. First bowl is a little walnut 6 1/2 x 3, the second is walnut 8 x 2 1/2, and the third is cherry 8 1/2 x 4. Thanks for looking, next pictures should be of the new lathe.:D
BTW now that I have a lathe that will go in reverse, what is the advantage?(other than being able to stand on the other side of the lathe while turning) I read about reversing while sanding. When I sand I run my drill in reverse currently, how does it make a difference?

Bernie Weishapl
03-12-2008, 9:15 AM
Steven those are great looking bowls. Yep get that 1642 cranking and can't wait to see some turnings off it.

curtis rosche
03-12-2008, 9:57 AM
question how thick are those bowls?

steven carter
03-12-2008, 10:35 AM
Curtis,

These bowls are intentionally fairly thick, thicker than I normally turn them. SWMBO wanted some thicker bowls so viola. Small walnut is 5/8", larger walnut is 1/2" and cherry is 5/8".

Steve

Keith Burns
03-12-2008, 12:06 PM
Nice bowls Steven ! The middle one is my pick. Congrats on the new lathe!

Steve Schlumpf
03-12-2008, 12:50 PM
Steve- Congrats on your new lathe! Looking forward to the photos!

Good looking bowls!

As far as reverse - I use it for sanding. I run my sanding drill in both directions but find that running the lathe in both directions does make a difference. Best test is to sand an item - then stop the lathe and then run your hand with and against the grain. Normally you will feel a little resistance when rrunning against the grain. Now sand it with some really fine grit while running the lathe in reverse. Do the touch test and you will feel the difference!