PDA

View Full Version : Rigid 18v Lithium Ion Driver

Prashun Patel
03-12-2008, 7:33 AM
Does anyone have experience with this? It's discounted @ HD and with a coupon, I can get it for under $150. Worth it? COmes w/ 2 batts. Are those under the same lifetime warranty?

Tim Thomas
03-12-2008, 7:56 AM
I think this is the one that was just reviewed in Popular Woodworking for the April issue. They did a comparison of about 8 different Lithium Ion drill/drivers. Their top pick was the Mikita, but I think the Ridgid was their "Best Value" or something like that. I just skimmed the article yesterday, but I do know that the Ridgid was well liked.

Hopefully someone here will be able to chime in with their real-world experience, but if not, see if you can find a copy of Popular Woodworking to check out the review. The Home Depot stores near me usually have this magazine near the check out lines anyway. You could go to the store, read the review and if it sounds good, buy the drill. :D

Brian Klare
03-12-2008, 8:30 AM
I have it. I like it very much, maybe not quite as much as my milwaukee but I am sick of paying heavily for replacement batteries. This drill is included in the lifetime replacement of batteries. Of course when I bought mine, it only came with one battery and a second battery is almost as much as you are looking to spend on the two batteries with drill and charger. Otherwise I love it.

Brian

Prashun Patel
03-12-2008, 8:37 AM
I currently have 2 x 14.4v Makita M-forces. I love them. I've been eyeing the compact Makita for a long time. The issue I have is that the batts are 1.5Ah. I've heard one or 2 complaints that the life is short.

I checked the RIGID website. As long as you register yr tool, you'll get lifetime replacement of the batts. That's pretty amazing.

John Viola
03-12-2008, 12:51 PM
I currently have 2 x 14.4v Makita M-forces. I love them. I've been eyeing the compact Makita for a long time. The issue I have is that the batts are 1.5Ah. I've heard one or 2 complaints that the life is short.

I checked the RIGID website. As long as you register yr tool, you'll get lifetime replacement of the batts. That's pretty amazing.

Careful here. For real world experience with this, head over to the Fine Homebuilding forum and look up the thread in "Tools For Home Building" titled "Ridgid S***s" (the word is spelled out there). Apparently it's a great selling point but the real-world experience here has not always been up to snuff.

I do not own any of their cordless tools so I can't say this with any authority...just forwarding the information

Matt Mutus
03-12-2008, 1:14 PM
I have the makita BDF452HW and I can't endorse it highly enough. It absolutely rocks.

Sorry no experience with the rigid.

But overall I really like the lighter weight lithium ion stuff that's coming out.

1.5ah batteries have never been a problem for me. The charge might not last as long as 3+ah batteries, but since the spare battery charges full in 15 minutes, you will never be without a battery. (unless you're working somewhere you can't plug in your charger)

The slightly shorter charge life is well worth the trade-off you get in weight (for my purposes).

Prashun Patel
03-13-2008, 7:36 AM
Thanks, Matt.

I found other threads that complained about Rigid battery life. Warranty or not, I should probably just go with my original instinct to get the Makita.

Prashun Patel
03-14-2008, 8:24 AM
Bought the Makita.