PDA

View Full Version : Anniversary present - HELP!!

John Clapp
03-12-2008, 6:41 AM
Hello All... I realize this isn't a typical question for this forum, but since so many of you are a lot more creative than me (not to mention darn good woodworkers judging from the pics) I figured I'd ask for some help.

This July is my 5th anniversary. Lo and behold, I just discovered it's the "Wood" anniversary. So I thought rather than buy her something or do the standard dinner out on the town treatment, I would make something myself for my wife to show her how special she is. Okay, you can dry the tears now...

Anyway, I'm sure someone on here has made or attempted to make something for their significant other... any ideas?? Please?

And no, I'm not talking about an entire bedroom set... something relatively small and meaningful.

Thanks in advance!

Rob Russell
03-12-2008, 7:04 AM
If she's into baubles and bling, how about a nice jewelry box?

Bob Rufener
03-12-2008, 7:29 AM
I second Rob's suggestion regarding a jewelry box. Don't make it too big. May be costly in the future to fill it up.:-)

Peter Quinn
03-12-2008, 7:32 AM
Yep..the 5th anniversary is a big one..I'd get her something nice like a 20" spiral head planer with a cyclone DC to keep up with those chips! Or perhaps a weeklong intensive course for two at the Center for Furniture Craftsmanship? Maine is lovely in July!

Lee Koepke
03-12-2008, 7:41 AM
I have a year to plan mine .... this year is the fourth ... I think thats the Basketball Year ( I am sneaking out to go to the SEC Tourney on Thursday ) :D

Mike Heidrick
03-12-2008, 7:54 AM
Best advice I can give you.....

Make her something from wood if you want - Do not make this the only gift!!!
Buy her something in a small box - Something small like earings or necklace is fine but do this! She wants something that she can wear close to her to remind her of the five years achievement everyday. Even if she does not like jewlery blah, blah, blah, do this one.
Take her out to the best dinner you can. This is where you both can enjoy the achievement.

If it was me I would suprise with flowers and some act of kindness (do some extra work you do not typically do) pluss the three above and make it five rewards for five years.

Congrats btw!

John Clapp
03-12-2008, 8:02 AM
Thanks for all the replies and ideas so far!

I realize that in the grand scheme of life, 5 years is not that long. But I forgot to mention in my first post that I'm a contractor working in Iraq (I'm writing this from there) and not only have I missed 3 out of the 5 anniversarys because of work, but she also gets to deal with a 3 yr old by herself for several weeks at a wack while I'm out making money to support my woodworking habit.

Thanks again for the suggestions... keep 'em coming!!

Bill Huber
03-12-2008, 8:27 AM
I lot depends on what she like and dislikes, I could get my wife an new pair of ear rings and they wouldn't mean much, she is just not a person that likes all that kind of stuff.

But I made a cutting board and gave it to her in Nov. and it took be 2 months work to get her to use it, she just wanted to set it on the counter and look at it.

I had a friend that made his wife a potters bench and she almost cried when he gave it to her.

So a lot depends on her and what she likes and dislikes.

Now if she does like jewelry then like the others I would make a nice small jewelry box and make sure you date and sign it.

Good luck.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-12-2008, 8:36 AM
Diamond, anything diamond in a wood presentation box.

Don Bullock
03-12-2008, 8:41 AM
Bill's got the right idea. What you give her made from wood depends on what she likes. It also depends on your skills and what you can get made between now and July 5th. A others have stated a beautiful jewelry box would be nice and Bill's idea of a potter's bench if she is into gardening might be good too. I know that my wife would like both of those.

It sounds, however, from the situation that you described in your last post, that you need to give her something more than something made from wood. A great dinner out in a fine restaurant and the kid being left for the evening with a sitter would be very appropriate. If she's into plays, concerts, etc. ending the evening going to something like that would be fantastic.

John Clapp
03-12-2008, 3:12 PM
Diamond, anything diamond in a wood presentation box.

Unfortunately you think like my wife... :eek:

Rob Russell
03-12-2008, 3:14 PM

So do a nice diamond inlay on the top of the box :D.

Scott Vigder
03-12-2008, 3:18 PM
Do you turn? If so, you could just toss a nice piece of exotic wood at her and tell her the gift is in there somewhere...:rolleyes:

Roger Warford
03-12-2008, 3:43 PM
I gave my wife a wooden vase filled with wooden roses (wish I could say I made them - maybe you are more resourceful than I). Actually looks really nice. Of course, I also took her out to a nice restaurant and gave her a few other items, but that covered the wood angle.

Karl Brogger
03-12-2008, 4:38 PM
New boat, perhaps a big screen tv. Those are good places to start for a gift for the mrs.

Gary Herrmann
03-12-2008, 4:40 PM
Nice gift in a box you make.

Do you turn? Make her a pen, a vase or something. I've recently seen earrings on the turning forum.

Buy the apprpriate amount of good lumber and make her something she really wants - jewelry box, lingerie chest, whatever. Show her the wood, and then take her to a really nice restaurant.

Russ Sears
03-12-2008, 5:47 PM
I like the idea of a wooden box, like a jewelry box, within which she will find something nice and sparkly.
Of course, it doesn't matter what I like; it matters what LOYL likes so you're going to have to figure that one out :D

By the way, thank you for your service and thank your wife for me; she's sacrificed an awful lot. I'm working on my 25th this year (anniversary, not wife) and will be going through a similar exercise later this year.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-12-2008, 5:57 PM

HA HA It took me years to figure out that a diamond really is a girl's best friend. Get her a rock. I swear so long as I show up with a rock whatever girl I'm gifting is thrilled.

I don't know what makes them so happy about the stupid things but, so long as it makes 'em happy ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

John VanDivier
03-12-2008, 10:44 PM
I made the jewelry stand that was in the Wood Magazine about a year ago. I used maple and rosewood and LOML was very pleased.
OK, I have never posted a pic before and been having trouble sizing it correctly to be under 107 kb. So if the pic is bad please forgive me. John

scott spencer
03-13-2008, 7:24 AM
If she doesn't need a jewelry or keepsake box, I think 100 bd/ft of mesquite, curly maple, or paduak would be a really nice gesture! ;)

John Clapp
03-13-2008, 9:34 AM
By the way, thank you for your service and thank your wife for me; she's sacrificed an awful lot. I'm working on my 25th this year (anniversary, not wife) and will be going through a similar exercise later this year.

Russ - Thanks for the comment, and thank you and your wife too! I retired from the Air Force after 22 1/2 years of been there done that and said I wasn't doing it anymore. Six months later I got this job and ended up right back over here in the big sandbox. I guess it gets in your blood or something. Of course the fact that my paycheck's a lot bigger now doesn't hurt! The downside to that is I seem to be running out of room for tools and wood...

John Clapp
03-13-2008, 9:41 AM
Thanks to everyone for posting your ideas... and even the tongue-in-cheek responses... I got a good chuckle out of most of them!

Now for the hard part... I have to sift thru these ideas and balance them against HER wishes and come up with something amazing. Isn't that how it always works?

I've been hanging out in this site for a while now and really enjoying looking thru the posts and drooling on the keyboard as I look at some of your projects. I knew you guys wouldn't let me down!

Thanks again for all your suggestions!!

chris yount
03-13-2008, 8:23 PM
I made my wife an a-frame ladder type display shelf that she could use for displays of family portraits and some of her lighthouse collection last mothers day it went over pretty well.I think it was 30" and 60" tall.I spaced the wider shelfs at bottom further apart to put larger standup frames in.but i would be sure to get her some bling too.cant go wrong with shiny metal and shiny rocks.:D