PDA

View Full Version : What is it with you people here :-)

Chris DeHut
03-18-2004, 1:53 PM
Since announcing our special offer for the Sawmill Creek members for the magazine, I have communicated with several of you. Through these emails and telephone calls I have come to realize this is a great bunch of people.

Perhaps it is "like minds attract like minds" or something like that. What ever the cause, the effect is, this is a good group of nice, friendly people here. I sure hope other woodworkers (budding and experienced) learn about this site and the great people here.

Sorry for the off-topic, but somethings need to be said!

Have a great day!

Chris

Ted Calver
03-18-2004, 2:35 PM
Chris,
Right back atcha! I'm a charter subscriber and have enjoyed every issue...I'm learning a lot from Dick Sing and look forward to seeing him as a continued feature.
Keep up the good work!
Ted

Ken Garlock
03-18-2004, 3:43 PM
Chris, I got in on the DVD magazine in the second issue and also bought the back issue. I enjoy viewing the mag., and it is interesting to see how your specialty departments editors have gained stage presence ;)

I enjoyed Dick Sing in the current issue. I am not a turner, and now I know enough to sound stupid when talking to an experienced turner :D I learned a lot from Dick....

I have no interest in carving, but I think the inclusion of a section is a good thing. Here again, I watch it for general knowledge.

I particularly liked the section(article?) last month on building the sliding wall cabinets for the shop. That was a neat idea.

Keep up the good work :)

Chris DeHut
03-18-2004, 3:56 PM
Chris, I got in on the DVD magazine in the second issue and also bought the back issue. I enjoy viewing the mag., and it is interesting to see how your specialty departments editors have gained stage presence ;)

I enjoyed Dick Sing in the current issue. I am not a turner, and now I know enough to sound stupid when talking to an experienced turner :D I learned a lot from Dick....

I have no interest in carving, but I think the inclusion of a section is a good thing. Here again, I watch it for general knowledge.

I particularly liked the section(article?) last month on building the sliding wall cabinets for the shop. That was a neat idea.

Keep up the good work :)

Hi Ken and Ted.

Thanks for the compliments, and rest assured, we will continue to work extremely hard to bring you more and better content!

I will also pass along your comments to Dick and David. As you can clearly see, we are woodworkers (and instructors) but not actors. All three of us are getting more and more comfortable staring into that "one eyed monster" (the camera) - it sure is an intimidating gizmo! As we add more hosts, I will continue to look for the same qualities in the people I have found so far - it seems to be working well for our audience.

Ken - When you build those cabinets - take the time to really plan out what you are going to put in each tray. The payoff in early planning is REALLY BIG! When I started out with that project, I wasn't sure if I could put everything in there I wanted. I still have not filled up those cabinets on the right end - perhaps I need to do a little tool shopping :-)

Chris

Glenn Clabo
03-18-2004, 8:51 PM
Chris,
I have bugged you about a few things since I first found your DVD's becaues there are a few companies that I gage other companies by. I have said and will continue to say...you and yours are a class act that leave other companies crawling to catch up. I hope that you are able to continue...

John Weber
03-18-2004, 9:55 PM
Chris,

I'm also a charter member and very much enjoy the dvd. I'm a rare turner, but love Dick Sing's presentations. I also enjoyed the shop tours and visits and look forward to the next special issue. In the last issue, your presentation on hand scrapers was excellent!

Thank you - John

Chris Oakley
03-18-2004, 11:01 PM
Chris:

I took advantage of the special offer and ordered all the back issues and subscribed. I really enjoy the magazine. The only complaint I have is that I seem to only have time at night to watch, and when I watch I always want to get right to the shop. Since I have a basement shop, my wife gets mad when I'm starting the saw at midnight. I think she's going to start hiding my dvds!

Great product, keep it up.

David Hayes
03-19-2004, 10:20 AM
As another poster said - I also did not have a real interest in carving - that was until I saw Dave Reilly. Dang it! He just cost me around $150 at Woodcraft because I HAD TO BUY some high quality chisels to start basic relief carving. Seeing his presentation made me start to think that maybe I could carve.

Thanks again for putting out a quality product and please pass along my thanks to Dave and Dick for tempting me to broaden my woodworking skills.

I agree, the folks on this board are the most friendly and among the most helpful I have found on the internet.

Dave

Jeff Skory
03-19-2004, 6:06 PM
After all the accolades I had to go out and order the DVDs. I ordered #7 and a year's subscription. I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Chris DeHut
03-19-2004, 6:27 PM
After all the accolades I had to go out and order the DVDs. I ordered #7 and a year's subscription. I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Thanks for the order Jeff!

And thanks to all the others above. I will be sure to pass your comments and compliments along to David and Dick - we all very much appreciate the feedback.

David, I am sorry I got you into trouble with the carving tool purchases. I have been dabeling in the carving here and there when I have a few minutes of time (not many these days). It sure is fun to mess around with. I am hoping to get some time later this year to really give it a whirl.

Chris, Sorry that I am forcing you into the woodshop, especially during the late night hours. But I am glad I am getting you down there!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Chris

Jim Becker
03-19-2004, 6:49 PM
Yea, I bit the bullet the other day, too, and ordered up a subscription and a bunch o' back issues. 'Might as well get some additional use out of the new DVD system!

Jeff Skory
03-19-2004, 7:31 PM
Jim, do you suppose we're related to lemmings somehow? :D

Jim Becker
03-19-2004, 7:38 PM
Jim, do you suppose we're related to lemmings somehow?

I am thinking that this is true...'just look at all the folks who have dipped their toes in the spinny thing puddle in the last year. Why should a novel way to enjoy a magazine be any different? :rolleyes:

David Klug
03-19-2004, 9:14 PM
Chris:

I took advantage of the special offer and ordered all the back issues and subscribed. I really enjoy the magazine. The only complaint I have is that I seem to only have time at night to watch, and when I watch I always want to get right to the shop. Since I have a basement shop, my wife gets mad when I'm starting the saw at midnight. I think she's going to start hiding my dvds!

Great product, keep it up.

Chris at midnight is when you do the carving.

DK