PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly X2 bandsaws- worth the extra $?

Josiah Bartlett
03-12-2008, 2:27 AM
I'm considering either the GO513, the 513X2, or the GO514X bandsaws from Grizzly. I like the price of the 513 and my parents live near the Bellingham store so it seems like a no brainer, but I was wondering if the 513x2 is worth the extra money for the cast iron wheels and trunnion. Also, if the 514X is only $200 more than the 513X2, is that worth it?

Most of my use will be for resaw purposes, and I am a hobbyist with a 20x20 shop. I occasionally cut out a guitar body or a turning blank but I have over 300 bf of dry walnut I slabbed up into 8/4 and 12/4 planks that I want to resaw and use for projects. I don't care if the saw cuts a bit slow but I don't want to waste much of the walnut, its really nice and free of defects. I plan to use pretty much all of the resaw capacity of the saw.

I would rather buy old iron but I need to put the saw on a mobile base and all the saws I've found on Craig's lately were clapped out or too expensive.

alex grams
03-12-2008, 6:47 AM
I discussed with the reps at grizzly regarding the cast iron trunnion replacing the aluminum one. They couldn't recall people having problems with the aluminum one enough to warrant a new cast iron one, and it was more of a customer sales point than a design issue. They said the main advantage though of the cast iron one is that the aluminum one could have problems if you were putting large wood on the table to cut and there was a lot of weight on it, then you could crack the trunnion.

Also, the cast iron wheels help give some inertia to the system and blade.

I personally have the 513x2 and am very pleased.

Dave MacArthur
03-12-2008, 8:31 AM
As above. I'm looking at all the same saws as you. In truth, the 513 is probably plenty good and at a GREAT price, if the $ savings are important. I've never seen anyone complain about the trunnions with a real problem, so the cast iron is more to give folks what they asked for.

For slab resaw, I like that 514x2 because the the much better table support for big weights. ALSO, I really like the foot brake! That's the one I've decided on, for now.

Peter Quadarella
03-12-2008, 9:03 AM
The reason I went with the X2 was because of the fence and bearings. I knew I'd want to upgrade them anyway, so for the same price of an upgrade I got the cast iron wheels and trunion.

Stan Urbas
03-12-2008, 9:57 AM
I've just been looking at the same thing - the 0513 vs the X2. My conclusion is the same as Peter's - I really want the fence and guide upgrades, so that's already $170. For another $30 I get the cast iron trunnions and the heavier wheels. A no brainer in my opinion.

By the way, the reason for the heavier wheels is the momentum they create. This actually reduces the need for additional horsepower when you hit a heavier drag, such as with a knot. It also makes for a smoother movement.

Brian Kent
03-12-2008, 10:18 AM
What Peter and Stan said.

I have been researching my brains out and will be buying the 513X2 today. You might want to order yours before I do in case they only have one left:D.

This one hits the sweet spot for me. I saved up for it rather than using the almighty plastic, so I am keenly aware of the difference between $1,044 and $1,244 (with shipping)!

The clincher for me is the number of posts I have seen where people are very happy with their 513, 513x, and 513x2. I don't see the kind of regrets where people longingly call out to an empty universe "if only I had held out for the 514's extra 2" of throat."

The table support system of the 514x2 looks nifty for $350 more than the 513x2, but I have never heard of anyone actually breaking their trunions while milling a huge log. So if I had the extra cash on hand, I would certainly move up a step, but since I have to actually earn and save the money this time, the 513x2 looks just right.

Greg Cole
03-12-2008, 11:04 AM
I had the 513 for almost a year, had a neighbor who delved into WW'ing and was always interested in the BS. Told him if he liked it so much he could buy it from me. So he did, I got every penny out of it that I had in it and I turned that $ into another saw, the 513X2 which I have had for 4-5 months now. For me it was a "free" upgrade. Either saw will be fine for most hobbist uses. I've put both version of this saw through some hoops.... and have yet to find something I complain about. A foot brake would be nice, but a BS bigger than a 17" will not fit in my garage.....
I thought the 0513 has been discontinued?

Greg

Brian Kent
03-12-2008, 12:04 PM
The 513 and the 513X2 are available. The 513X was discontinued.

Josiah Bartlett
03-12-2008, 12:41 PM
I had the 513 for almost a year, had a neighbor who delved into WW'ing and was always interested in the BS. Told him if he liked it so much he could buy it from me. So he did, I got every penny out of it that I had in it and I turned that $ into another saw, the 513X2 which I have had for 4-5 months now. For me it was a "free" upgrade. Either saw will be fine for most hobbist uses. I've put both version of this saw through some hoops.... and have yet to find something I complain about. A foot brake would be nice, but a BS bigger than a 17" will not fit in my garage.....
I thought the 0513 has been discontinued?

Greg

Greg, if you don't mind my asking, is there anything that the x2 is doing for you that the 513 didn't?

So the 513 has blocks instead of ball bearing guides? I haven't seen one in the flesh yet. That may be enough to push me over.

Greg Cole
03-12-2008, 1:03 PM
Josiah,
If I wasn't able to sell the 0513 for what I had into it, I'd still have it. I had no issues with it, but not like I was using it to make slabs from 400 lb hunks etc....
Literally my neighbor walked over one day with cash in hand, and we wheeled the saw across the street on the mobile base. I ordered the X2 version the same hour as the 513 rolled across the street.
Personally I like the bearing style guides more, but I use my saw more for resaw & rip cuts. I don't even have a blade narrower than 1/2" & a 3/4" resaw blade is on the saw 99.9% of the time.
Cheers.
Greg

Billy Chambless
03-12-2008, 2:44 PM
I went with the 513x2 because I wanted the resaw fence and cast iron wheels. I don't have a 513 with which to compare it, but I've been delighted with it in the two months or so I've had it.

Jim Becker
03-12-2008, 3:30 PM
Josiah, the X models relative to Grizzly band saws put you somewhat into the next class of machine. Yes, you do pay for that, but long term the benefits could be nice. If you think that you could enjoy the better machine over time, just save for an extra month or three to put up the difference in cost. It will likely seem like a short wait and a little bit of money a few years down the road. On the other hand, the non-X version is a very good tool and a good buy for the money over many other options from other vendors.

Josiah Bartlett
03-12-2008, 3:35 PM
Yeah, it looks like they are both good buys in their own way, and now I'm torn between buying the base saw and spending money on great blades or buying the X2 and spending less money on good blades.

I'm going to visit the mothership store in a few weeks before I make my decision. The saw is an upcoming birthday present from my wife, so the price difference gets doubled when it comes around to buying her something equally nice.

Greg Cole
03-12-2008, 4:04 PM
Yeah, it looks like they are both good buys in their own way, and now I'm torn between buying the base saw and spending money on great blades or buying the X2 and spending less money on good blades.

I'm going to visit the mothership store in a few weeks before I make my decision. The saw is an upcoming birthday present from my wife, so the price difference gets doubled when it comes around to buying her something equally nice.

Josiah,
Based off the comment about buying great blades or the X2, I'd buy the X2 every time on that logic. I have great luck with the Woodslicers at about $35 IIRC for the 131 1/2" length for the 513 series.
Blades wear out and become trash, springs for bench dogs, small scrapers etc.... the upgrades on the saw aren't going anywhere for many moons.
If the wife's buying, extend her to offer to have the next project out of the shop for the X2, or pitch in the additional $.

Cheers.
Greg

Peter Quadarella
03-12-2008, 4:18 PM
The resaw fence is pretty nice. If I hadn't got it I would be putting money into a Kreg fence.

For fairness, I had an issue when I got my saw. At first look I thought my blade was wobbling and had vibration, although strangely my table was solid as a rock. It turned out it was an optical illusion on the wheel, because at certain parts the tire on the upper wheels was frayed/cut a bit on one side. An annoyance but not a major issue. Once I tuned the saw up, found the right tension, tracking, etc, there is very little vibration, except the blade guard does vibrate a tiny bit. It is not attached very strongly - you can move it easily with a push of your finger. I have a feeling the frayed tire makes enough of a weight difference to cause the tiny vibration in the blade guard I am seeing.

Other than that, I am very happy with the saw so far. It feels very sturdy other than the guard and is cutting my wood square with no drift and smooth. I put a Timberwolf blade on it pretty quick and it does make a difference from the stock blade.

Jim Becker
03-12-2008, 4:29 PM
YI'm going to visit the mothership store in a few weeks before I make my decision. The saw is an upcoming birthday present from my wife, so the price difference gets doubled when it comes around to buying her something equally nice.

LOL...that will seal the deal for the X! Fondling the cast iron does it every time.... ;)

Wade Lippman
03-12-2008, 4:45 PM
I have had the 0514x for about 8 months now. I have had huge tree sections up on it and it is solid.
I can't see paying the premium for the x2. Yeah, a brake would be nice, but lots of things would be nice.