PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on GI Bandsaws Vs Steel City 17"-18"

michael flay
03-12-2008, 12:57 AM
I am looking at purchasing a larger bandsaw and have narrowed it down to either the Steel City 50250 or the General International 90-240 or the 90-270, does anyone own any of these saws or have a opinion on them. Grizzly is not a option as it is not available in canada and the europeon saws are a little out of my price range.

Rod Sheridan
03-12-2008, 7:06 AM
Hi Michael, I've owned the 20-240 for a little over 4 years now. It has been a great saw, it's smooth, the blade tracks well and it has enough power to resaw thick material without difficulty.

Mine is used for slabbing small sections of log, resawing for veneer or book matching, and Diann uses it for roughing out blanks for turning. I also use it for straightening up rough material before jointing, or ripping rough material before jointing.

The machinery dealer I purchase from has the 20-240 and 50250 sitting side by side, and aside from a few minor changes, they are identical machines, produced by the same manufacturer, for esentially the same price.

I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend the 20-240, and since the 50250 is almost identical, and includes a light and blade brake, I'd purchase it now if I was in the market.

Regards, Rod.

Chris Friesen
03-12-2008, 1:50 PM
The 240 has stamped steel table supports, which turned me off a bit. However, it's got a split blade guard, which is nice. No brake though.

The 270 has a heavy duty table support, split blade guard, and brake. Around here though it's about $800 more expensive than the 240.

The 50250 costs about the same as the 240, but has beefier table support and a brake.

I ended up buying the Steel City, but I did some surgery to the blade guard. Now it only covers the right side of the blade, but I can change larger blades without removing the guard.

tim mathis
03-12-2008, 5:47 PM
the steel city 18 inch is smooth and quite.
it has no vibration and is very powerful.
my blade tentioning scale is right on.

John Thompson
03-12-2008, 6:36 PM
I haven't used the Generals mentioned.. but I have the SC 18" and would not want to be without it. I personally think it is the best designed BS coming from the Pacific Rim and I have crawled under the hood of all them before I purchased it.

Sarge..

michael flay
03-13-2008, 1:16 AM
I have done some research and found that the steel city is made by Qingdao Laneton Machinery Co. in china and the GI is made at the same factory as the grizzly saws in taiwan ,from what I can tell the grizzly and gi saws are very similar but the gi saws seem to have more capacity and seem to be a little more beefy. Another thing that concerns me is having to remove or doctor the blade guard to change blades where as on the gi saws they have a split blade guard. The prices are GI-90-240 $1339.95, 90-270 $1999.95 and the steel city 50250 $1359.00. I also saw a review on the fine woodworking site and they were not impressed at all with the sc due to variances with the table and other things, where as the 90-270 seemed to get a good review.

Bob Hallowell
03-13-2008, 2:09 AM
I have the SCTW 18" and love it. Foot brake is nice to have, runs true guide system is nice.

Bob

Chris Friesen
03-13-2008, 9:30 AM
I also saw a review on the fine woodworking site and they were not impressed at all with the sc due to variances with the table and other things, where as the 90-270 seemed to get a good review.

The table on my SC was not acceptably flat. I called them up and they shipped me out a new one. However, my GI cabinet saw table wasn't flat either (and the miter slots weren't parallel), and they shipped me a new one as well.

The 90-270 looks like a nice saw...it was just more than I wanted to pay.

John Thompson
03-13-2008, 9:42 AM
Good morning Michael.. I would like to address two statements you made in your post with all due respect...

"Another thing that concerns me is having to remove or doctor the blade guard to change blades where as on the gi saws they have a split blade guard"... Mike

A number of BS's that are imported have blade guards that extend below the upper guides. There is no reason to have a blade guard that does that. It is done to meet safety and liability issues in the country it is made in to be able to export to other countries.

The SC saw when I purchased it had a solid guard as it has been changed to a plastic window in front to see the bearing. Neither are necessary as having the guard go below the bearing period has no significant bearing on safety.

So.. I just cut my guard off just short of top bearings. If you purchase a MM 16 it has what is referred to an Amaridilla Tail. You can't even see the top bearings period. Solution from MM tech... cut it off short of the bearing. That works on a very well made and extremely expensive Italian Stallion BS.. it also works on a very well made Pacific Rim saw also.

BTW.. a MM 16 has a mobile base built on. You have to remove the rear wheel on the door side to get the bottom door open fully. That would not stop me from buying a MM 16 as it is a baby industrial and can deliver a knock-out punch in a small shop. All BS's and WW machines have quirks.

" I also saw a review on the fine woodworking site and they were not impressed at all with the sc due to variances with the table and other things, where as the 90-270 seemed to get a good review"... Mike

And if you read the review Titled "Steel City BS has Major Flaw" the first thing you should have caught after reading the stated the table was off .018 at the blade split is.... the "Expert" that did the review mentioned he did not have the "Pin" inserted when he measured.

A BS is ground at the factory with the Pin In the table. You won't get an accurate flatness reading on any BS regardless of quality with it out. Also the "Expert" stated that the upper bearing bracket was not straight and he could not get a decent re-saw cut.

And... he also admitted latter in an Apology Letter that was printed in the Letters to the Editor column that he basically took it off the crate.. put a blade on and made the test. The Expert had a "Dead-line to meet"!..

He did not bother to adjust and the SC is one of the most micro-adjustable BS's on the market.. he did not bother to tune.. but he bothered to title the article "Steel City BS has Major Flaws.. You have to tune any BS as they are the most finicky piece of machinery in a wood-shop. Any BS... MM.. Laguna.. Aggazani.. Craftsman 12".. etc.

So.. you know the rest of the story as Paul Harvey says. Pete Bradley who post on this forum occasionally and knows machines very well is well aware of what I just stated. I have been building "American Muscle Cars" for 35 years and have been around a few machines also.

But then again... I'm not an Expert and don't work for FWW doing reviews wtih "Dead-lines to meet" either I suppose. Have you noticed any Advertisements for Steel City in FWW mag since that review? Perhaps with the tiny print apology letter... you might guess why?

Look over both machines carefully and compare eye to eye.. tooth to tooth.. then see what you think is your best choice. Beefier.. comparte the double springs on a SC and the GI and see which you think will deliver the most beam strength. Compare the size of bearings on motor and pulley hubs. Compare the way the springs are attached to the upper case..

Or.. you can just read a review and assume that it is the "Holy Grail" cause it was done by an "EXPERT". You can't look at pictures and compare much IMO.

Sorry for the rant... that article kind of got under my skin from the day it was printed and stuck. At that time I had already puchased the SC 18" after comparing it to all others at the International Wood-Working Show in Atlanta. I liked it so much.. I canceled a deposit on an MM 16 from Eric and invested in the "City". I have no regrets.

Good luck with what-ever you get...

Sarge..

Dick Sylvan
03-13-2008, 11:50 AM
At that time I had already puchased the SC 18" after comparing it to all others at the International Wood-Working Show in Atlanta. I liked it so much.. I canceled a deposit on an MM 16 from Eric and invested in the "City". I have no regrets.

Sarge..
Were you able to look at the Grizzly 636X or the 531?

jason lambert
03-13-2008, 12:14 PM
After much research I picked up a Steel City 50250 about a month ago. So far it is awesome and couldn't ask for more. Maybe a tall resaw fence but that is it, i can alwas get that later. But the tension release blade tension meter, foot break, berring guides and poly tires I couldn't ask for more.

John Thompson
03-13-2008, 7:14 PM

I looked over the Grizzly line two years ago this fall at IWF in Atlanta as that show is very large,,, industrial and held every other year. It's the only time I get to see Grizzly as they don't do any of the smaller shows.

At the time I was not looking for a 20" BS as the 531. And the 636X didn;t exist at that time. That leaves an answer of no to going over and crawling under the hood of either. Sorry....

I will add this thogh.. 4 years ago I would have not purchased a Grizzly BS period with the exception of the 14". Two years ago I saw improvements but still room to improve. And from what I see on paper of some their current saws it looks as though they may have done just that.

Come Fall when the International Show rolls into town again... I could tell you a lot more. You can read all the specs and get an idea.. but until you look the pretty picture directly in the eyes.. you won't get the big picture.

Again.. Grizzly seems to be on a roll with their BS's. I saw the same thing happen with their jointers. At first they were OK.. then they were good.. and now I feel they are excellent and a very good value.

Again.. sorry I couldn't be more specific, but Griz is one of the few machines I cannot see on a daily basis being here in Atlanta.

Sarge..

Chris Cordina
03-13-2008, 11:44 PM
I bought the 18" SC bandsaw 1 1/2 years ago and like it. I have been able to resaw anything I want, the largest so far is oak 10" wide . I use the 3/4" trimaster blade. I have not been able to slow it down with just hand feed rates, it cuts clean and straight with only 1/64 to 1/32 sanding to clean up the cut marks. The tension release handle is great i would hate to be without it. I have kept my 14" bandsaw just for scrolling, that way I leave the SC for ripping and resawing. Unless you are hardcore resawing I think this would work well for you.

michael flay
03-14-2008, 12:14 AM
Good morning Michael.. I would like to address two statements you made in your post with all due respect...

"Another thing that concerns me is having to remove or doctor the blade guard to change blades where as on the gi saws they have a split blade guard"... Mike

A number of BS's that are imported have blade guards that extend below the upper guides. There is no reason to have a blade guard that does that. It is done to meet safety and liability issues in the country it is made in to be able to export to other countries.

The SC saw when I purchased it had a solid guard as it has been changed to a plastic window in front to see the bearing. Neither are necessary as having the guard go below the bearing period has no significant bearing on safety.

So.. I just cut my guard off just short of top bearings. If you purchase a MM 16 it has what is referred to an Amaridilla Tail. You can't even see the top bearings period. Solution from MM tech... cut it off short of the bearing. That works on a very well made and extremely expensive Italian Stallion BS.. it also works on a very well made Pacific Rim saw also.

BTW.. a MM 16 has a mobile base built on. You have to remove the rear wheel on the door side to get the bottom door open fully. That would not stop me from buying a MM 16 as it is a baby industrial and can deliver a knock-out punch in a small shop. All BS's and WW machines have quirks.

" I also saw a review on the fine woodworking site and they were not impressed at all with the sc due to variances with the table and other things, where as the 90-270 seemed to get a good review"... Mike

And if you read the review Titled "Steel City BS has Major Flaw" the first thing you should have caught after reading the stated the table was off .018 at the blade split is.... the "Expert" that did the review mentioned he did not have the "Pin" inserted when he measured.

A BS is ground at the factory with the Pin In the table. You won't get an accurate flatness reading on any BS regardless of quality with it out. Also the "Expert" stated that the upper bearing bracket was not straight and he could not get a decent re-saw cut.

And... he also admitted latter in an Apology Letter that was printed in the Letters to the Editor column that he basically took it off the crate.. put a blade on and made the test. The Expert had a "Dead-line to meet"!..

He did not bother to adjust and the SC is one of the most micro-adjustable BS's on the market.. he did not bother to tune.. but he bothered to title the article "Steel City BS has Major Flaws.. You have to tune any BS as they are the most finicky piece of machinery in a wood-shop. Any BS... MM.. Laguna.. Aggazani.. Craftsman 12".. etc.

So.. you know the rest of the story as Paul Harvey says. Pete Bradley who post on this forum occasionally and knows machines very well is well aware of what I just stated. I have been building "American Muscle Cars" for 35 years and have been around a few machines also.

But then again... I'm not an Expert and don't work for FWW doing reviews wtih "Dead-lines to meet" either I suppose. Have you noticed any Advertisements for Steel City in FWW mag since that review? Perhaps with the tiny print apology letter... you might guess why?

Look over both machines carefully and compare eye to eye.. tooth to tooth.. then see what you think is your best choice. Beefier.. comparte the double springs on a SC and the GI and see which you think will deliver the most beam strength. Compare the size of bearings on motor and pulley hubs. Compare the way the springs are attached to the upper case..

Or.. you can just read a review and assume that it is the "Holy Grail" cause it was done by an "EXPERT". You can't look at pictures and compare much IMO.

Sorry for the rant... that article kind of got under my skin from the day it was printed and stuck. At that time I had already puchased the SC 18" after comparing it to all others at the International Wood-Working Show in Atlanta. I liked it so much.. I canceled a deposit on an MM 16 from Eric and invested in the "City". I have no regrets.

Sarge..
Hey Sarge

Thanks for responding, I guess in retrospect I should have read the review a little closer, was unaware of the retraction by fine woodworking. And you are right reviews are by no means the gospel. in response too the guard issue I was thinking along the lines of having to remove it to install larger blades not that big of a deal I guess. Today I made a trip to my local dealer that sells GI,SC and felder /hammer. After close inspection of both the gi and sc saw I must say that the SC is a good saw for the price, the gi 90-270 is a all around better saw from what I could see and to me worth the extra $500 the salesman noted the same differences as I saw, but interestingly enough he mentioned that if I was willing to spend $2000 on the 90-270 for $200 more I could purchase the hammer n4400 which is made by acm in italy(the same guys that make laguna and other brands) it has alot of great features along with a 4hp motor and like the gi is a substantially well built saw. So I guess I have some more research to do now!

John Bush
03-14-2008, 12:36 AM

Hi Dick,
I bought the Griz 531 after almost ordering the Agazanni 20". I live close to the showroom and was able to check out the Griz selection. I primarily wanted a foot brake and after comparing the 636X and the 531 I thought the latter was the better value. Another feature that I hadn't considered until I was able to compare all their BSs was the CI fence. Several of the models had the Al. fence and quide bar. The CI design is much more solid.
I imagine the Agazanni is an incredible machine, but the additional cost of shipping made the Griz a better deal for a hobbiest.