PDA

View Full Version : What hp motor for bandsaw?

Steve Rozmiarek
03-11-2008, 11:42 PM
Ok motor gurus. I smoked the motor on my 36” Oliver bandsaw this weekend. I was awaiting this opportunity to get more horsepower, the antique 2hp GE just wasn’t quite enough sometimes. I can fit just about any motor into it, so my question is, how big?

I see big bandsaws hp ratings all over the board, from 1hp to 10 or more. What do I need? I can resaw 16” with this frame, and I’d like to have enough power to do that if need be. Can’t imagine why it would, but…

I can get 480 volt three phase, with a bit of work, and I have good heavy 230 volt single phase there now.

The saw is currently a babbit bearing machine. However, I did buy the bearings for a conversion earlier today. The babbits are making a bit more drag under tension then I think they should, which no doubt sucks up horsepower. Probably I’ll do the conversion now too.

I used to hate Baldor motors, but after learning a bit about electricity, I think the motors were not the cause of the issues. Is Baldor the best option, or is there better now?

Any recommendations?

Ken Fitzgerald
03-12-2008, 12:15 AM
Steve,

I went to Mini-Max's site....they don't list what they use on their 32" and 36" b/s. On the 28" and their 16" they use 4.8 hp.

My MM-16 has a 16" resaw height and it has a 4.8 hp.

I'd look in the 5hp or larger range. I'd be sure and try to get a similar RPM motor as the original. Keep in mind the wire size need if you go above 5 hp. Don't be surprised if the new higher power motor doesn't significantly outperform the old one due to the difference in the way they rated them and now.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-12-2008, 12:36 AM
I checked MM too. Wonder why they don't list the hp on those saws? I wondered about the rating system having changed. I suppose the amp draw is a more accurate number? Also assuming more efficiency out of new motors, but not by much?

I have a 7.5 hp single phase off of an auger, but as it draws 40 amps or so, seems like it may be overkill, and might make the lights flicker when it fired up.

Rod Sheridan
03-12-2008, 6:49 AM
Steve, are you going to use the saw for ripping with a power feeder?

5 HP is more than adequate for hand ripping with that band saw, if you are going to use a power feeder in a production environment, then 5 HP may not be adequate depending upon material, blade selection and feed rate.

A modern high efficiency, high power factor 5 HP motor may not have substantially higher full load current than your old 2 HP motor.

Regards, Rod.

Jim Becker
03-12-2008, 7:30 AM
I was thinking 5hp, too...and a "real" 5hp with the right power supply will be a very strong motor solution. Next step up is 7.6hp, I believe.

Jeff Duncan
03-12-2008, 9:05 AM
I'll throw my two cents in for what they're worth....I think any good quality motor will do fine. Baldor makes a good motor and so does Leeson, and I agree that a 5 hp would be a decent motor for that saw though a 7-1/2 will really keep those wheels spinning. People make a big deal out of Baldor b/c the name sticks I guess, but there are a lot of industrial machines out there working 8+ hour shifts without Baldor motors.
As for replacing the Babbit bearings you may want to reconsider that move. If there's too much drag they may just need to be adjusted. But generally if they're in good shape the common wisdom is that it's better to leave them alone. I recommend talking to the guys over at OWWM as they have much more experience in this than I do.
good luck,
Jeff

Wilbur Pan
03-12-2008, 9:32 AM
If your antique GE motor is really an antique, I would look into getting it rebuilt. It might be cheaper than getting a new motor, and one advantage of the old motors is that for some reason they provide more "oomph" than modern day motors of the same HP rating. I think it has to do with developing more torque.

If you have a hard time believing this, consider this: back in the day I'm sure that the original users of your bandsaw (very jealous, by the way) also resawed up to 16" boards with the 2 HP motor that just gave out on you.

Also as a point of comparison, I have a 16" Walker Turner bandsaw with the original 1/2 HP motor. I can resaw 10" of white oak without problems.

John Thompson
03-12-2008, 10:29 AM
With those heavy 36" cast iron wheels, I wouldn't go less than 3 HP and 5 HP would be a better option for tall re-saw on a consistent basis. Unless as mentioned. you use a power-feed in a commercial setting. Then I would be looking up the ladder a few horses to off-set the extra load.

Good luck..

Sarge..

Steve Rozmiarek
03-12-2008, 7:46 PM
Evening gentlemen. Been a busy day, so I didn't have time to keep up with your posts. Thanks for the insight. I am now the new owner of a 5hp Baldor, which suprisingly enough, was way easier to get locally then the blasted pulley. Eventually found one though.

To answer a couple of your points, no power feeder. Sometimes wish I did, but no where close to justifying that. The bearings. The reason I think they need work, is that the baby Delta next to this beast has discernable difference in drag between no tension and correct tension on a 3/8" blade. The Oliver has a bunch of difference. Granted, I'm using a 1" blade, but I don't think it shoould make much difference.

I know nothing about babbit bearings, except they work usually, but having changed several thousand ball and roller bearings so far, I'm comfortable with that technology. Nothing I'll do to change it over is irreversible. Just two plates bolted to existing holes. I can't get OWWM to load yet. Will try those guys patience before pulling the trigger though.

Wilbur, this old GE is a monster. It is physically bigger then the Baldor, and kind of cool. I was planning on getting it fixed, just to have around.

Rod Upfold
03-12-2008, 8:33 PM
Steve...use this path to owwm...

http://www.owwm.org/

Rod

Steve Rozmiarek
03-12-2008, 10:32 PM
Thanks Rod, that worked!