PDA

View Full Version : Ridgid ts3650 blade heel

John Crough
03-11-2008, 11:15 PM
Anyone have a Ridgid TS 3650 table saw an find it dificult to fix a heeling saw blade? I can never fully adjust the saw blade parallel to the miter slot using the eccentric lever, as it runs out of travel before the blade is parallel.:mad: I don't remember how I got it parallel last time, but I seem to remember a lot of pounding and luck. Anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone used PALS on a ridgid table saw with any luck? I just ordered these in hopes of correcting my heel. Thanks in advance for any input.

Vic Damone
03-12-2008, 3:00 AM
Have you asked this question over at the Ridgid Wood Working site?

Vic

mark page
03-12-2008, 5:46 AM
Yes, PALs will work on a Rigid 3650. They have the general trunion configuration of most contractor type saws.

Jason White
03-12-2008, 5:47 AM
I have this saw and had the same trouble before I learned a couple of tricks.

1. First, the trunnion assembly has 4 bolts (which do get loose over time, by the way). Make sure all 4 are snug once the trunnion assembly is roughly in the right place. Then, loosen 3 of the bolts, leaving one still tight near the "front" of the saw. This bolt will act as a pivot point while you adjust the lever at the back. The lever actually works quite well as long as the trunnion assembly is in the right place.

2. Sometimes the entire trunnion assembly is mounted too far to one side or the other, giving you nowhere to pivot. By loosening all 4 bolts you can "tap" and slide the whole trunnion assembly to one side or the other. Then try step #1 (above) to get things adjusted perfectly.

Note: You may have to loosen the screws holding the bevel wheel in place on the steel cabinet as it can "catch" and prevent you from moving the trunnion assembly. When you're done adjusting everything, re-tighten the screws on the bevel wheel (gently).

I scratched my head for quite awhile before I realized how to fix this problem, which isn't really a problem. Just a quirk. You'll get it there.

Jason

Anyone have a Ridgid TS 3650 table saw an find it dificult to fix a heeling saw blade? I can never fully adjust the saw blade parallel to the miter slot using the eccentric lever, as it runs out of travel before the blade is parallel.:mad: I don't remember how I got it parallel last time, but I seem to remember a lot of pounding and luck. Anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone used PALS on a ridgid table saw with any luck? I just ordered these in hopes of correcting my heel. Thanks in advance for any input.

dennis faith
03-12-2008, 7:29 AM
I ran in to the same problem with my TS2424. I picked up the PALS and they solved the problem.

My big issue came with adjustment and bolt securing. When I would torque down the bolts it would shift the alignment ever so slightly...but just enough. Once I put the PALS on and played around with it a bit I was able to get it aligned in just a few minutes.

mark page
03-12-2008, 8:48 AM
Jason,
If I remember correctly, aren't there six bolts total on the trunion assembly. I have this as a second saw set up for dado's, and if I remember correctly without running out to the shop to look at it, there are the four outer bolts and two centering bolts. One centering at the front of the trunion and one centering at the rear under the adjusting lever? I may have a different setup as I don't know if different mfg years of the 3650 changed?:confused: It has been several years since I had to adjust mine.

scott spencer
03-12-2008, 9:28 AM
Jason,
If I remember correctly, aren't there six bolts total on the trunion assembly. I have this as a second saw set up for dado's, and if I remember correctly without running out to the shop to look at it, there are the four outer bolts and two centering bolts. One centering at the front of the trunion and one centering at the rear under the adjusting lever? I may have a different setup as I don't know if different mfg years of the 3650 changed?:confused: It has been several years since I had to adjust mine.

It's 6 bolts IIRC....same as on the older Emerson made Craftsman saws.

John - If you end up going as far as to remove the whole trunnion carriage to get to the bottom of the problem, make sure there are no burrs or irregularities around the bolt holes....you might even be able to do that just by loosening one end at a time if you're careful. You might also consider upgrading the bolts and washers to a harder grade steel.

Patrick Melchior
03-12-2008, 9:58 AM
what is PALS?

scott spencer
03-12-2008, 11:36 AM
what is PALS?

It's a trunnion alignment system for table mounted trunnions.

The 3650 has a built in cam system of some sort, so I'd be surprised if the PALS made a signficant difference from the stock system.

mark page
03-12-2008, 1:49 PM
I do have a set of PALs on my 3650 and it did help out--it will hold the trunion pretty well fixed when tightening down all the trunion bolts, which is pretty hard to do otherwise. I was able to zero in everything a lot easier and faster with them. The key words being easier and faster. Just my .02 worth. It's not impossible though without them, just more time consuming.

Jason White
03-12-2008, 5:29 PM
Sorry, I stand corrected. There are 6 bolts -- the rear middle-bolt holds the adjustment lever.

Everything else I stated regarding adjustment is true, however. To give the trunnion assembly more "travel," I had to slide the whole thing over by loosening all the bolts and giving it a few whacks with a hammer and block of wood. I was then able to get the blade lined up correctly using the lever.

I do seem to recall, however, a problem with "shifting" when tightening down the bolts. Took some fussing to get it dead nuts. I don't know what "PALS" is, but if it solves that problem then it's probably worth investing in.

Jason

Jason,

John Crough
03-13-2008, 3:50 PM
Mark,

When you installed your PALS, did you have to remove the eccentric lever, or did you just leave that installed? Since the PALS is doing the alignment it would seem that the eccentric lever would be useless.

John

John Crough
03-13-2008, 3:59 PM
Thank you all for your advice in dealing with my heeling problem. Jason your method of shifting the trunnion worked perfectly for me, and saved me alot of headaches. The PALS system is an aftermarket product made by In-Line Industries for aligning table saws. I just order a set for $20 + shipping. Their website is www.in-lineindustries.com/saw_pals.html (http://www.in-lineindustries.com/saw_pals.html)

mark page
03-13-2008, 4:05 PM
John,

No I did not have to remove the lever or any of that equipment. PALS is basically just two L-shaped brackets with set screws and a set of longer studs for the trunion to compensate for the brackets. The set screws butt up against the trunion to adjust its position. This is how you can "dial it in" easier and faster. Similiar to adjusting valve lash on an engine.