PDA

View Full Version : Anyone build a rough sawn mantle?

Tom Henry
03-11-2008, 8:58 PM
I am helping out a friend with a rough sawn mantle and was wondering if anyone here has done one of these before. He is in the very early stages of building his fireplace but thought I could get some good ideas here! :D

Thanks
Tom

Jim Becker
03-11-2008, 9:02 PM
No, but I did replace a rough-sawn (barnwood) mantle with one made of cherry that I could keep clean. My suggestion would be to try and preserve the patina of the "rough sawn", but work it enough that it's not a maintenance problem. You cannot "dust" anything that is truly rough.

Tom Henry
03-11-2008, 9:43 PM
Jim

How cool would this look?! I don't know if he wants a free from front edge.

:eek:

Tom Henry
03-11-2008, 10:04 PM

WOW....:eek:

Jim Becker
03-11-2008, 10:21 PM
Free form front would be very nice. But as I indicated, a more "finished" top is desirable from a maintenance standpoint. If he doesn't believe you...bring him over and he can help me clean all the barn beams in our great room... LOL

Tom Henry
03-11-2008, 10:28 PM
Free form front would be very nice. But as I indicated, a more "finished" top is desirable from a maintenance standpoint. If he doesn't believe you...bring him over and he can help me clean all the barn beams in our great room... LOL

Do you carry a pancake air gun with you?

John Keeton
03-12-2008, 6:34 AM
Tom

What is your source for wood!!!! That is some fantastic figure - would look great as a mantle, but I would have a hard time not putting that is something else. Most mantles only show the front edge, and the ladies have a way of covering a good portion of the mantle with 'stuff." I would hate to waste that kind of wood on that, but each to his own - and what a friend you must be!!

Also, mantles have a way of warping and twisting with the heat and dryness of a working fireplace. I am in the process of replacing a "one-piece" mantle, with a "boxed" mantle for that reason. Of course, starting with really dry wood would greatly minimize that and your pieces made fit the bill.

Jim Becker
03-12-2008, 8:24 AM
Do you carry a pancake air gun with you?

No, but it's going to involve my CT22 and scaffolding...

-------

BTW, that's a serious piece of wood! Outstanding, even.

Wayne Cannon
03-12-2008, 3:30 PM
Also replaced a rough-sawn mantle with a finished cherry one. I'll second (or, I guess, fifth) the comments about dusting.