PDA

View Full Version : Davis Marks Multirouter.

Bill Wyko
03-11-2008, 8:01 PM
I found on his website that he sells it starting at $2695.00 with air clamping as an option. That's one cool tool. Takes up some space but it's like a Domino on steroids. Just thought I'd share this info. You have to go into FAQ then you can find it there.

Carl Hill
03-11-2008, 8:03 PM
Oh man Bill, I can hardly wait to here the backlash.:D

Carl

Peter Quinn
03-11-2008, 8:07 PM
I've often wondered why he doesn't use a horizontal mortiser. Nothing against the multi router, just curious.

Al Willits
03-11-2008, 8:09 PM
Watched him use it many times, neat tool, and if I had $2700 I might buy one.....er...no I wouldn't. :D

Be great if you were either rich or had a production shop though.

Al

Jim Becker
03-11-2008, 8:10 PM
Peter, the MultiRouter is easier to setup for funky angled M&T for things like chairs. With a slot mortiser, you'd be building a lot of custom jigs to effect the angles in many cases.

Mike Cutler
03-11-2008, 8:29 PM
Dan Barber,a member here and on the WoodCentral website, built a machine called the "Mortise Flex" based on the JDS multi Router.
There are downloadable plans on the Wood Central website in .pdf format.

Jason Beam
03-11-2008, 8:37 PM
Looks like it's actually a JDS product.... interesting...

http://www.jdstools.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=12

Bill Wyko
03-14-2008, 4:52 PM
I got the impression on D Marks that it was available from him, I could be wrong. You can buy it from his site though.

Ryan Hovis
03-14-2008, 6:11 PM
I always thought it looked complicated to set up.

Peter Quinn
03-14-2008, 8:09 PM
Thanks Jim. I see the angled M&T's on the JDS web site, does the table tilt to make that possible?

Dave MacArthur
03-14-2008, 10:35 PM
I didn't think it would bother me, but that misspelled "Chuch of David Marks" is really starting to get to me. Who is going to PM him that missing R? ;)

David DeCristoforo
03-14-2008, 10:41 PM
The "Multirouter" is a JDS product. DM does not make it he just sells it through his web site as do many other dealers. "Google" for multirouter and you can find any number of dealers but the price seems to be pretty consistent. I used to have one and it's a pretty neat (albeit expensive) machine that can be used do a lot of different things. And, yes the table tilts....

YM

Dick Sylvan
03-15-2008, 9:10 AM
Peter, the MultiRouter is easier to setup for funky angled M&T for things like chairs. With a slot mortiser, you'd be building a lot of custom jigs to effect the angles in many cases.

I bought the Hammer combo last summer, and while I was spending a lot of money, I went ahead and bought the mortiser attachment. Haven't used it yet, but for $800 it seemed like a better deal than the Multi-Router. Other than funky angle cuts, what other differences are there between the two? Thanks.

David DeCristoforo
03-15-2008, 10:37 AM
"Other than funky angle cuts, what other differences are there..."

The multirouter uses a template and follower system to allow milling of DT, M&T, box joints, etc. in a plethora of sizes and configurations. It also incorporates a system of stops which allow you to set up without using the templates. So it is very versatile. Most machines that include a mortiser, like your Hammer, have stops but not the template system.

YM