PDA

View Full Version : Portable Vacuum Recommendation

Don Abele
03-11-2008, 7:41 PM
In the on-going house remodel, I have a lot of interior sanding to do in rooms that are furnished. So I'm looking for a portable shop-vac with the following qualities:

Light (ie: VERY portable)
Quiet
Auto start
Long hose
Powerful

I have a Ridgid 12 gallon/5 HP vac, but it doesn't meet most of the above, especially the portable!

I thought that Festool would never be on an option list for me, but after looking at the prices of the Fein vacs, it seems that $300 seems to be about the going rate for what I'm looking for. Are there cheaper alternatives (I hope)?

So what say ye' ?

Be well,

Doc

Wade Lippman
03-11-2008, 7:51 PM
I don't think you are going to find anything like that; you have conflicting requirements.

I have been using a B&D I got at Linens and Things for $160. Small, powerful, "quiet", and easy to clean. It runs through an Oneida Dust Deputy; if you use it by itself you will have to empty it frequently, but you can't have everything.

Peter Quinn
03-11-2008, 7:58 PM
The smaller porter cable vac is a little cheaper option that works well and has those options. I have one and its a nice vacuum. I dont think your going to find a vac with all you seek too cheap.

Jim Becker
03-11-2008, 8:14 PM
Don, I agree with the others that for "all" of your requirements, you'll need to make an investment no matter what the brand. So...consider it an investment and buy something that you'll get a lot of use over time for small tool dust extraction. The Fein and Festool are among the best and have several size options (be sure to check on the auto start as sometimes that's not part of the smallest version) but there are a few new machines on the market that offer at most some of the things you want.

For the record, I have the Festool system and really like the "format" of the vac...much easier to tuck under a bench and stack stuff on top than the Fein. And, of course, it mates very nicely with the other Festool products I own.

Ed Brady
03-11-2008, 8:24 PM
I have a Fein Turbo II (9.55.13) and really like it.

EDB

William Nimmo
03-11-2008, 9:24 PM
You have discovered that you don't like crappy tools. Spend more than you ever thought you would, on a vacuum, and trust me, you will never regret it.
Do that from now on, on all your tools purchases, and you will slowly amass a nice collection of quality tools.

Karl Brogger
03-11-2008, 10:09 PM
Alto Wap vacs are pretty kick ass. Excelent suction, super quiet. The Fien mentioned before are really good as well.

Steven Wilson
03-11-2008, 10:30 PM
Don, I had a Fein mini-turbo which was a fine vac but didn't provide a very good platform for storing accessories. When I replaced my sanders with Festool's I changed over to the Festool Vac. Besides being a decent vac it's a great platform for storing stuff while doing work in the house. I've been repainting some walls with noticeable texture from faux painting and have had to sand off most of the faux before laying down primer. The Festool vac has been great as it holds my systainers (sander, paper, cleanup kit) as I work from room to room. So, if you have future plans to purchase any Festool tools then I wouldn't hesitate to purchase one of their vacs.